Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

bull barrel

walangkatapat

This isn't a direct comparison, but a buddy had a 24" bull barrel on his AR.  Talk about clunky.  Totally impractical for anything but squirrels.   A 16" bull *might* be great, though.  The weight sure won't hurt for stabilization.  I *do* like the feel of the carbines with the heavier barrels.  A bull may be just a tad overkill.

Guest Dick W Holliday

i use a Bushmaster Dissapator which i guess is the same thing you're talking about and mine works great....it is basically a 16"HBAR barrel....i use a Berquist comp and mine really rocks....i've won the last three or four rifle events in 3gun matches i've been in and i think it is because the rifle stays on target (not because i'm a good shot)......D I C K

Hey, you might want to review what others had said about ASA stuff before you buy from them.  Go to AR15 forum,  do a search on ASA topics, and you'd find out more.

The Bushmaster Dissi is an HBAR, not bull.  The bull barrel designation is typically used for the extra heavy, almost 1" diameter units.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Kimber custom classic that I’m thinking of having a bull barrel installed.  The question is, is there any machining done to the slide that would prevent me from switching back to a bushing barrel if I choose to shoot IDPA?

Your slide will have to be machined for a reverse plug. There are two types, the flange and the collar type. If you machine for the flange type you will have to have a special plug to go back to a bushing barrel, EGW has them. If the slide is machined for a collar type you can go back to a standard bushing type recoil spring plug with the bushing barrel.  

I would request that my gunsmith use the collar type if you want to go back to the bushing barrel sometime.

• 4 weeks later...
It may be difficult to make the power factor with a 16 inch barrel. (At least with factory ammo) I'd lean toward the 18 to 20 range and skip the bull. I think they are way to heavy for 3 gun work.

chronographed my 16" with XM193 ammo from Federal on Lake City brass the other day. Average was 169 power factor and the low was 165 power factor. that eisily makes minor for 3 gun matches. :D