Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45 ACP roll crimp or taper crimp?

reichebrown

I had some 45 ACP loaded up by a legit business before I managed to get my SDB set up in 45. At the advice of a friend who shoots a 625 I had him put a roll crimp on. The rounds didn't feed into the cylinder all that well on the clips.

I just ran my first 100 rounds through my SDB and they feed in great. My question is do you use a roll or taper crimp in your 625.

If the bullet I am using has a cannelure or a roll crimp (lead) I use a Redding Profile crimp which (for revolver rounds) is a roll crimp die that also puts a mild taper crimp on the round as well. I use the profile crimp die on all my revolver rounds because I have found it to improve consistency both on my chronograph and on targets (fired from a Ransom rest).

If I am loading plain 230 FMJ's for my revolvers I taper crimp them or use my cannelure tool to put a cannelure on them and then use the PC die to roll crimp them. Regardless of the type of brass I use I still keep my revolver ammo seperate from my auto ammo.

Neal in AZ

If I remember correctly, a 625 is a revolver, so it would be OK to roll crimp them.

Yep, I use taper simply because I go back and forth between a 1911 and my 625 and dont want to change my setup. I'm thinking there are other evil forces at play preventing chambering in the cylinders.

To the OP have you tried dropping them in the cylinder without the moonclips? I've found 1 jacked up round with a slight bulge will cause the whole moonclip to hang up.

I have been using a dillon chamber gauge to check the rounds then I clip them and drop them in the cylinder. If they do all that they pass. The taper crimp rounds have been dropping much better than they left over roll crimp rounds I had made before. Seeing as how I can not roll crimp on a square deal B I will stick with taper. I was just trying to see what people use in their 625s.