Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mossberg 930 with Nordic +5 only holding 8!?

GlowingDonut

I've just completed my 930 3-gun shotgun and I'm very happy with the results. Got the unported 24" turkey barrel from Mossberg, Nordic bolt handle, +5 feed tube and clamp. Put it all together and it test functions great. What's confusing me is my shotgun will only hold 8 shells in the tube, despite buying a +5 Nordic feed tube (which added to the stock 4 shell capacity). Do I have to trim the spring to get #9 in there? It only goes in 1/2 way right now. My tube is about .75" shorter than the 24" barrel when installed, so I'm pretty sure it's a +5, and not a +4 mis-labeled. I ordered all my parts from Midway.

Any one have this same issue?

[uPDATE] Per the great advice in this thread, I did fail to trim the stock spring to length. Hard to know that when no instructions come with the tube & spring! It loads 9 shells with ease now.

IMG_1139.jpg

IMG_1141.jpg

IMG_1146.jpg

Edited by GlowingDonut

You should of received an instruction sheet explaining how to cut the spring. They say to cut it to a free length of 10-16" longer than the end of the extension tube. Put the follower and spring into the tube and push it in until it bottoms out at the end of the mag tube. Cut a little bit at a time until you can get #9 in.

Hope this helps,

Chuck

Edited by ChuckS

I first bought the +5 tube. I use the standard cap and 9 is no problem. If I could, I would measure the +5 tube but I can't since my 930 is in the shop getting openized :lol: . I do have +6 and +8 tubes so I measured both, took the difference and divided by 2 and subtracted that from the +6 and I get ~ 10.75" as an estimate of how long a +5 Mossberg tube should be. The 12 gauge spring that they sell is 45" long. It will have to be trimmed to fit a shorter tube.

Later,

Chuck

PS: I bought my first stuff directly from Nordic.

To the OP....do you have the Mossberg part number for that barrel? Also, how long did it take to receive? I have an event in early May and I am getting impatient with the release of the JM pro.

Steve, I ordered my 24" non-ported turkey barrel from Mossberg directly. I emailed Joe Zakher (jzakher@maverickarms.com), using his contact info from the other huge 930 thread (check towards the end for the 800# and his email). I didn't get a part #, but he knew the exact barrel I needed, and was familiar with the requests from others for the same. Unfortunately, it took 5 weeks to receive, so don't be in a hurry to get one. To be fair, when I asked to speak to Joe, he was very helpful in ordering the barrel, and on my third status inquiry call, he helped get the barrel completed and shipped in a few days). I do have a 28" ported barrel from my 930 waterfowl that's unfired, if you or anyone is interested in it for $100 plus shipping. You'd need to send it to Rose Action Sports to be cut to 24" behind the porting, the forcing cone opened up and threaded for chokes (I believe that's $95). That was my Plan B, if this barrel order fell through.

Brian

Edited by GlowingDonut

My son and I had the same problem , it's NOT the spring. Load it up with the spring out I think you'll find it's the same. We had to get the 1.5" cap, not too happy with Nordic about this :angry2:

This. It won't cycle properly without one of the two extended caps. Either will work.

My son and I had the same problem , it's NOT the spring. Load it up with the spring out I think you'll find it's the same. We had to get the 1.5" cap, not too happy with Nordic about this :angry2:

This. It won't cycle properly without one of the two extended caps. Either will work.

I may end up picking up the extended cap to make loading a little easier. I did cut my original untrimmed spring per the advice I got above, and now it loads 9 fine. Thanks for all the help folks!

Glowing Donut, I ordered the barrel from the info you gave. Thanks, they knew exactly which one I wanted.

I am curious which barrel clamp you ordered. Nordic components site lists a modified clamp for heavy walled Mossberg's. Do you know which version you received? Midway didn't a heavy walled version.

Glowing Donut, I ordered the barrel from the info you gave. Thanks, they knew exactly which one I wanted.

I am curious which barrel clamp you ordered. Nordic components site lists a modified clamp for heavy walled Mossberg's. Do you know which version you received? Midway didn't a heavy walled version.

I ordered a Nordic clamp for 12 gauge shotguns from Cactus Tactical, since Midway was sold out a few weeks back. Here's the part # I received, and it works great on the 24" turkey barrel. (part #NC-BCL-XX-12-00)