Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

going out to test some hs-6 and 115 in 9 major today

Mat Price

I am really happy with 7.3 grain Ac load with srp and 124 JHP @ 1.165

but my curiosity has been peeked by more gas!

I found when i run the pf up in my gun to around 175 it gets really nice with autocomp

I am going to try some hs-6 with both 124 and 115 to get some more gas to run this lacking STI t-2 comp

will report back

starting @ 7.9 hs-6 with the 124 and 8.5 with the 115 FMJ @ 1.165 lets see how they roll

Hello: You will need a little more HS-6 to make major. I think it takes about 9 grains with the 115's but chrono your loads to see where your at. HS-6 is softer than Auto Comp. HS- 6 is also cleaner burning up at 171-173PF. I think you will like HS-6 with the Tru Bor comp :cheers:

Thanks, Eric

cool sarge! if you ever want to sell a couple hundred of your 121 let me know i would like to try a few myself.

PM me your info and I'll mail you a few hundred.

Hello: You will need a little more HS-6 to make major. I think it takes about 9 grains with the 115's but chrono your loads to see where your at. HS-6 is softer than Auto Comp. HS- 6 is also cleaner burning up at 171-173PF. I think you will like HS-6 with the Tru Bor comp :cheers:

Thanks, Eric

Hey Eric how full is the case with 9grains of HS-6? With my slower than normal Barrel I have had to load a little higher than most and I don't want to mess with too full of a case. I could not get 3N37 nor Silhouette to work well without going over 8.3 grains.

One of the things I like about AC is that it only fills my case about 3/4 full at 7.3 grains.

ok and for the results

7.9 grains of h-s 6

124 grain JHP

wolf spp

1.165 aol

mixed brass

10 round

avg 1316

hi 1356

lo 1289

es 63

pf 163

Note: bad dot wiggle and circles. doesnt make major and is a terrible load.

8.3 grains hs-6 15 rounds string

124 grain JHP

wolf spp

avg 1343

hi 1399

lo 1309

es 90.00 ( hmmm maybe got a light drop)

pf 166

Note: promising about the same as the auto comp load

bump it up to 8.5 grains and check again dot was ok up and down

now for what i really wanted to see

8.3 grains of hs-6 20 shot string

115 FMJ

avg 1346

hi 1385

lo 1328

pf 154.8

8.5 grains hs-6

115 fmj

wolf spp

avg 1373

hi 1398

lo 1325

es 73

pf 157.

ok so its going to take a ton more powder to even get major.

I am out of 115s so I am going to get some more and try again this week. so far though I like the hs-6 with the 124 even at the lower power factor.

so I am going to try 8.5 grains with the 124 and 9 grains with the 115 to see where I am at.

Edited by Mat Price

Mat,

Are you using the full length tubor T2 bbl. I am waiting for your chrono result. Though I am using the shorter tubor bbl in my matcmaster. ;)

yeah i am using the full size tbor with the t-2 comp with your match master and t-1 comp i would really lean toward the hs-6

I think i just have a slow bbl.

Hello: You will need a little more HS-6 to make major with the 115's HS-6 is softer than Auto Comp. HS- 6 is also cleaner burning up at 171-173PF.

how full is the case with 9grains of HS-6? One of the things I like about AC is that it only fills my case about 3/4 full at 7.3 grains.

+1. That's one of the reasons I switched from HS-6 in my TruBor

to WAC and the 124 grain bullet - lots of room in the case,

and felt "softer" than the HS6/115 grain.

Jack

Hello: You will need a little more HS-6 to make major with the 115's HS-6 is softer than Auto Comp. HS- 6 is also cleaner burning up at 171-173PF.

how full is the case with 9grains of HS-6? One of the things I like about AC is that it only fills my case about 3/4 full at 7.3 grains.

+1. That's one of the reasons I switched from HS-6 in my TruBor

to WAC and the 124 grain bullet - lots of room in the case,

and felt "softer" than the HS6/115 grain.

Jack

Yeah jack I am afraid I am going to have get up over 9 grains with the 115 to get where i want and not sure that is going to be a safe load. I am going to move to 8.8 then 9 then 9.2 and see how it goes. I think I can get what i want out of the 124 and hs-6 also but i am not sure yet it is going to replace my autocomp load.

ok so here it goes all the data I got from todays session with the pumped up loads.

remember gun is a stock trubor 9mm with no holes and t-2 comp

my normal load is 7.3 grains of auto comp

behind a 124 delta prec. JHP @1.165 with a wolf small rifle primer.

this load gave me 177 pf today over a five shot string but i suspect a heavy drop on one round I ususally get 175 out of it

now the new load and i will start with what seems at first with an initial reaction better than my autocomp load.

8.5 grains of Hs-6

124 delta Prec. JHP

oal 1.165

wolf SRP

5 shot string

avg 1413

hi 1443

lo 1396

es 47

pf 175

Ok this load seemed better than my autocomp load at the same power factor and here is why. TO ME!!! this load has different impulse. ITs more like shooting a .38 super. Its softer in the hand and the dot tracks up as fast as it tracks down. My auto comp load the dot track up slowly than snaps back down. This load it seems to just move a little and drops back to center really fast.

brass 425735_10150658029834375_525799374_8807533_2076771722_n.jpg

8.5 grains of Hs-6

124 delta Prec. JHP

oal 1.170

wolf SRP

5 shot string

avg 1398

hi 1421

lo 1383

es 38

pf 173

pretty much the same as above load. but the impulse is better on the 1.165 load

I am not really going to comment on the 115's just to say they where nearly the same dot movement as the 124 and softer but i did not like the impulse. so here is the data period

8.8 grains Hs-6

115 horny xtp JHP @ 1.165

wolf srp

avg 1434

pf 165

felt snappy and odd bad dot tracking circles

9.0 grains Hs-6

wolf srp

avg 1477

pf 169

better dot tracking soft in the hand poppy feels like a mid length gun not for me

9.2 grains Hs-6

wolf srp

avg 1494

pf 171

great dot movment very soft in the hand almost the same impulse as the 124 no pressure signs

ok with all that said. It seems like 8.5 grains with a 124 jhp @ 1.165 is the best load out of this gun so far just for slow fire and rapid fire dot tracking and impulse. I will run my drills and compare the numbers against my auto comp load. but i can say right now the dot tracking is much better with Hs-6 in this gun. I really like the slow burp impulse compared to the faster crack of the autocomp and hs-6 with 115

Guess I'll have to go back and try the HS6 again.

Thanks for all the info - I have the standard

TruBor, but with the older comp.

But, based on your info, sounds reasonable to

try the HS6 again - I still have some left over

from a few years ago when I switched to WAC.

Thanks,

Jack

yeah jack i wish this gun had the old t-1 comp. I had one on my other gun that i sold, I bet it will fill that thing up. run it up to around 173-175 if you can. The dot ais better to me but the big thing to me is the impulse of the gun. It just feels better hard to explain its like a burp instead of a sharp blast. now you may prefer the snappier load better. this is why i like .38 super better than 9 major. But this load comes as close to a .38sc as i have shot yet.

Hello: I told you that the HS-6 works great with the Tru Bor :cheers: You may want to bump the power factor up a little more to see how it gets softer with very good dot tracking. I was using a 8 or 9lb ISMI recoil spring with a 17lb ISMI mainspring. I also use a steep angled firing pin stop that I machine. The Tru bor is a nice setup when you get all things working for you. I like Auto Comp also but HS-6 is just that little bit better for me. I load to 1.170" OAL and have used Wolf rifle primers. I also use Winchester magnum primers as well as Winchester rifle primers. Thanks, Eric

Hello: I told you that the HS-6 works great with the Tru Bor :cheers: You may want to bump the power factor up a little more to see how it gets softer with very good dot tracking. I was using a 8 or 9lb ISMI recoil spring with a 17lb ISMI mainspring. I also use a steep angled firing pin stop that I machine. The Tru bor is a nice setup when you get all things working for you. I like Auto Comp also but HS-6 is just that little bit better for me. I load to 1.170" OAL and have used Wolf rifle primers. I also use Winchester magnum primers as well as Winchester rifle primers. Thanks, Eric

ERIC I'll agree that HS6 seems a bit better than AC in my guns but Silhouette still rules! The TruBor may well be partial to HS6, a friend bought a 38S gun and I sold him all of my partial pounds of powder about 8 different ones, I thought that sure he would do N350, N105, or AA#7 and the prior owner of the gun pushed IMR7625, but in the end he Chose HS6.

I think it is mostly about preference, HS6 is a bit flatter than Silhouette but HS6 hits the palm harder for me. Since I'm a recoil phobic I go with Sil.

The 115gr RN's did not shoot accurate enough out of my guns, so being softer don't count when you don't hit the target. Maybe I'll try some 121gr.

I still like autocomp very much. The real test will be tomorrow when i I run my drills I have very detailed metrics running mikes training program. so I will see right away how this effects my drill speed and smoothness.

Ok after a few weeks of running the hs-6 over my drills and a couple matches this is my final thoughts. I do not see any real benefit of changing the load the from autocomp to hs-6. It is nothing I really see on the clock and at match speed the two loads act and feel almost identical. I can say the hs-6 load is a tad bit softer. I have no problems with it being dirty at all. Nearly 800 rounds with out a cleaning and just a dab of mpro 7 and my gun never misses a tic. SO with that said Hs-6 is a GREAT powder. Burns nice has good gas shoots flat all the way up to 177 pf. Now with that said my autocomp load while is a bit harder in the hard takes much less powder 7.3 grains/ hs-6 8.5 grains. the case is not nearly as full with autocomp and in the end the AC is cleaner. I do not see enough of an advantage with MY setup to change. HOWEVER!!!!! if I had a gun with holes I would quickly reconsider. It is nice to know though that I have two powder choices that are so very close. Just in case I run in to a deal on one or one is not available to me at some point.

I still do prefer the HS-6 impulse over auto comp. Really Miss Sp2

• 1 month later...

I decided to give the hs-6 115 combo one more try so off to the range i went today with 9.3 grains of hs-6 with a 115 pdelta FMJ RN @ 1.165 with a wolf SRP.

I got 171 pf with this load. and i will be damned if it did not give me better hits and faster times on my drills. so tomorrow I am dropping 9.5 grains to run it up to about 173 and see if I can get some more out of it.

Thanks, Eric

Eric is right. 9.0gr of HS-6 under a MG 115gr HP @ 1.15" oal is VERY nice thru the Trubor comp. As always, work up to this load and watch for signs of pressure. Make sure to only use once fired brass. :)