Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Whats a good AR 15 to go with

g929

Like others have said, a decent flat-top upper from S&W, Stag, DPMS will get you started for $700 or less. Better yet, borrow a buddies for a few matches. Slap a Burris Tac30 or a red dot on it and get ye to a match.

Windham is supposed to be owned by the prior owner of Bushmaster. While I have heard mixed reviews, they look okay, just about 30% more than one of the one mentioned above that is already proven.

The build vs. buy has no pat answer. If you are marginally mechnically inclined, you can do it. You will need some specialized tools, so it will probably end up costing you a few $ more to build the first one. If you do something wrong, you are stuck. If you buy from a factory, they should fix any problems.

There are rifles out there from places like CMMG for $600. If you are not sure what you want, a rifle like that could go a long way, and there's no reason to believe it wouldn't be competitive even at the highest level.

If I were on a serious budget, there'd be no other option other than that.

If you want a purpose-built AR for gun games only, building it is probably the best option.

Can I get your advice also please guys, I am new to multi-gun & need to get my own rifle (tactical div).

I am 5'3" and 120-ish lbs, so rifle weight has been a consideration, just not sure how big of a deal I should allow that to be. I am leaning towards at a Daniel Defense V7 lightweight. It will need trigger, muzzle brake etc but I like how it feels. Is it a good match gun though? I also saw the Colt Competition, sounds great, ready to go pretty much, a bit heavier though and I've been told "good luck" with actually trying to get one. I also just looked at a JP 15, which has trigger done so almost ready to go. Trying to decide on an optic will be another mission but your thoughts between these 3? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Edited by GunGoddess.com

Sometimes I do fix people's spelling, usually Kurt Miller's, sometimes my own.

Since we are on BrianEnos.com not SuperNinjaTactical.com, I would steer new shooters looking to buy ARs towards ARs which are geared towards 3 gun and practical rifle competition. There are a whole host of good ones being produced now. That Stag 3G looks like a good rifle out of the box for both the new and the experienced shooter. Same with the Loki and Firebird. Lots of good choices.

But you can't beat a JP.

GunGoddess, if weight is a concern, JP makes a JP15 with light contour barrel. It is only $4-500 more than the Daniel Defense V7 that you are contemplating but it will have a better handguard, a comp, and a better trigger so it is really a better deal in the end.

Can I get your advice also please guys, I am new to multi-gun & need to get my own rifle (tactical div).

I am 5'3" and 120-ish lbs, so rifle weight has been a consideration, just not sure how big of a deal I should allow that to be. I am leaning towards at a Daniel Defense V7 lightweight. It will need trigger, muzzle brake etc but I like how it feels. Is it a good match gun though? I also saw the Colt Competition, sounds great, ready to go pretty much, a bit heavier though and I've been told "good luck" with actually trying to get one. I also just looked at a JP 15, which has trigger done so almost ready to go. Trying to decide on an optic will be another mission but your thoughts between these 3? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Check the classifieds unless you are looking for a specific brand. Right now there is a lightweight AR for sale there.

The LaRue PredatOBR just became available to order. That would be a nice starter rifle.

I love Larue products but for the price, the weight, and the six month wait there are far better options for a 3 gun rifle out there.

I was planning on buying a PredatOBR when they came out as an all-around rifle but my buddy is on week 23 of his wait for a PredatAR that was quote at 8. :blink: I understand why the wait is so long, but 6 months is a looooong time for someone just looking to get into shooting.

CM

Very interesting, all gas guns... I Love my Piston AR's.

WG

I have seen piston guns have problems at matches. At the state match last year I had to loan out my spare rifle to a couple of piston AR users. One POF that went down and a LWRC that broke a part. In fairness to the LWRC it would have probably kept running but there was a chance that pieces of metal could have gotten inside the gun messing it up. So I talked the owner into pulling it so he would not mess up his match. It paid off and he beat me. I have nothing against gas pistons on guns designed for them but on an AR I think they add more problems than they solve and they cost a lot more.

At our local matches we have JP rifles, A Firebird and a few Noveskes and they all run and run well.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

Good thing you had that spare rifle Pat, piston guys don't usually bring an extra.... :roflol:

I have an LWRC and love it, but I wouldn't mind a purpose built game gun, such as a JP.

wg

LWRC does make good guns. I always bring extra guns mostly for others to shoot. Knock on wood I have never needed to use a back up at a match. But I have loaned them out several times. To me piston's in an AR is like ski poles on a bicycle. (stole that analogy but like it)

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

Thanks!

The lightest rifle I own is a LOKI Weapon Systems 3G rifle. The LOKI 18" double fluted barrel is the lightest 18" barrel out there. Then add the light 15" carbon fiber handguard and a RRA operator stock. Weighs like 6 pounds before optics. For a smaller frame female shooter I'd probably go with a Magpul MOE collapsible stock and you'd have a very lightweight soft shooting rifle.

Dollar for dollar, I've had a hard time beating the value of the S&W M&P15 Sport. It does lack the forward assist and dust cover, but at roughly $600-700 when you can find them, they make a great way to get in at an entry level price. They are fully compatible with any options you might like to change out later, stock, grip, handguard, optics, etc.

Mac