Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Crimson Trace Midnight 3 Gun Invitational

FNH have jumped into the mix with one of these as a stage gun, and FLIR will be putting this on top of it.

Spent an hour or two last week with Travis Gibson trying different target presentations in the dark. I'm pretty happy with what we came up with. Shouldn't be any problem hitting the long targets. For your guns we won't go past about 150 yards or so. Although we might go longer with one of the stage guns. But reaching out to distance won't be any problem with that one.

Very cool!!!

Is there a limit on illumination devices on our person/weapons?

Of course...you can't bring a Sherpa to haul your gear during the stage. As long as it's man portable go for it. And being a gamer at heart, it's gotta be either on the gun or you. No bringing a generator and spotlights and setting them up at the beginning of the stage. No littering the course with chemlights (other than those that will already be there). No having your buddy shining lights for you. If you want to mount a Hellfighter from SureFire on your Glock 34, go for it.

I will say I wouldn't put a ton of effort or expense into it. You shouldn't feel the need to buy $1000.00 worth of flashlights. The longrange targets I was shooting with Travis last weekend were hit just fine without even using a light. While you can do whatever you want, you should be able to get through this without breaking the bank.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FNH have jumped into the mix with one of these as a stage gun, and FLIR will be putting this on top of it.

Spent an hour or two last week with Travis Gibson trying different target presentations in the dark. I'm pretty happy with what we came up with. Shouldn't be any problem hitting the long targets. For your guns we won't go past about 150 yards or so. Although we might go longer with one of the stage guns. But reaching out to distance won't be any problem with that one.

Very cool!!!

Is there a limit on illumination devices on our person/weapons?

Of course...you can't bring a Sherpa to haul your gear during the stage. As long as it's man portable go for it. And being a gamer at heart, it's gotta be either on the gun or you. No bringing a generator and spotlights and setting them up at the beginning of the stage. No littering the course with chemlights (other than those that will already be there). No having your buddy shining lights for you. If you want to mount a Hellfighter from SureFire on your Glock 34, go for it.

I will say I wouldn't put a ton of effort or expense into it. You shouldn't feel the need to buy $1000.00 worth of flashlights. The longrange targets I was shooting with Travis last weekend were hit just fine without even using a light. While you can do whatever you want, you should be able to get through this without breaking the bank.

I'm gonna look like a disco ball! I will be so lit up you won't be able to see the flames from my comp.

Anybody have the name of the spotlight company Gotham City uses in Batman?

I might put a red strobe on top of my head so nobody thinks I'm an alien space ship flying around all fast like.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I was wondering what the best airport is to fly into? Also, is there a match hotel or a list of preferred hotels for this match?

I know we are shooting Monday and Tuesday night, are we finishing up Tuesday night afterwards or do we come back to the range on Wednesday for the awards ceremony? I just need to make flight reservations and I wonder if it is ok to book a flight for Wednesday night.

Thanks,

Kalani

PDX is the big airport to fly into. Portland. You can fly into Bend but it will be an expensive puddle jumper. Match will finish shooting Tuesday night( well Wed about 2AM). Awards will be at noon in Bend on Wed.

Match hotel reservations should be made through Crimson Trace. Should be info in the website for it. I'm shooting A1 now but I'll try to check tonight.

PDX is the big airport to fly into. Portland. You can fly into Bend but it will be an expensive puddle jumper. Match will finish shooting Tuesday night( well Wed about 2AM). Awards will be at noon in Bend on Wed.

Match hotel reservations should be made through Crimson Trace. Should be info in the website for it. I'm shooting A1 now but I'll try to check tonight.

From here (SFO) it was cheaper to fly to Bend than Portland, so it might be worth checking. Not many flights to chose from though...

Hey folks,

Just a friendly reminder that if you have an invite to the match, you might want to think about doing the whole registration thing sooner rather than later.

If we have any slots left on May 15th, we'll open it up to anyone on the Enos forum and once they're gone, you're SOL.

Regards,

Iain

Hey folks,

Just a friendly reminder that if you have an invite to the match, you might want to think about doing the whole registration thing sooner rather than later.

If we have any slots left on May 15th, we'll open it up to anyone on the Enos forum and once they're gone, you're SOL.

Regards,

Iain

I signed up and got the receipt from my purchase is there any other way to ensure im in?

Hey folks,

Regards,

Iain

I signed up and got the receipt from my purchase is there any other way to ensure im in?

Yessir, you're most definitely in.

• 2 weeks later...

The Midnight 3Gun is now open for all to register. There are a limited number of spots left. The website is supposed to stop taking new registrations as soon as we hit that mark (fingers crosssed). I sat down with Crimson Trace yesterdy. The stages are done and will be posted on the website shortly. Everything is coming along great. Fortunately CT has come great people there making my life really easy. (And no not that Harrison character. He's down in Oklahoma shooting a new TV show, Rapid Fire, with Seeklander and looking like he is having way too much fun).

The website is here Get signed up while you can. There are only about 35 spots left open now and I imagine they'll go quick.

Also I made a couple changes to the stages. If you need to you can shoot the match without a holster for you pistol. There will be staging/dump boxes for the handgun on each stage. It might not be the quickest way to shoot (I'm still going to bring a holster) but it should be pretty darn close. CT will also have their new Rail light system available for competitors who need additional lighting. Should fit just about anything with a Pic rail.

• 3 weeks later...

Still have about 20 slots left in this match. It's open to everyone at this point. The sponsors have stepped up big time for this. Just for signing up Crimson Trace is sending each competitor a Universal Rail Laser, a Universal Rail Light and a cert for one additional item from CT. (There are a couple restrictions, but as usual I haven't seen it so I'm not sure what exactly they are). For $175.00 you get all the Crimson Trace loot. A shot at some of the coolest prize table gear I've seen (I'm there are two thermal imaging optics from FLIR, where else you gonna get a two thousand dollar scope?) Two BBQ Dinners are included, one courtesy of NIKE, the other Crimson Trace. Giveaways at each. The Match Book should be posted soon with all the stages so you can see what you're in for. Quick rundown on the guns you'll be shooting though. Everything is subject to change but we're pretty much locked at this point

Stage 1

FNH SCAR-L with Leupold VX-6 1-6 Multigun Scope, Leupold DeltaPoint in WARNE RAMP mount, Crimson Trace MVF-515 Light and Laser.

Stage 4

Your choice of handguns, Glock 17, Springfield XDM, or Smith & Wesson M&P each equipped with a Crimson Trace Light and Laser.

Stage 5

Primary Weapons System MK112 rifle with Crimson Trace IR Laser and NVG's

Stage 6

Colt Competition's new 7.62 match grade rifle with Leupold scope and NVG

Stage 8

FNH M240B with FLIR Thermal Optic

This will be unique opportunity to shoot some of the most advanced gear we can lay our hands on. Don't miss it.

We're over a month out and this is already looking like the best match of the year, and we haven't even shot it yet! Thanks for working on making this one of the most awesome matches that any of us will ever shoot Chuck!

• 2 weeks later...

Chuck - I just received this email:

All,

As you have been instructed – please bring a headlamp for the event! It is going to be DARK! We do ask, however, if at all possible you use a headlamp that a green or red light setting. We certainly do not want to disturb anyone’s night vision if at all possible.

Thanks!

Tiffany Hopp

MarCom Manager

I believe when I asked you at the Ephrata match in April you mentioned that night vision was either not necessary or should not be used. I've read the posted rules and didn't see anything specific regarding NV equipment and IR lasers. Can you clarify if this equipment will be allowed and is there any potential advantage, or should I just stick with white light and visible laser?

My guess is that she is talking about your normal night vision (the kind you get from eating lots of carrots) not the kind that cost 3000 dollars. I have shot a few local night matches and they asked the same thing of the competitors.

Chuck - I just received this email:

All,

As you have been instructed – please bring a headlamp for the event! It is going to be DARK! We do ask, however, if at all possible you use a headlamp that a green or red light setting. We certainly do not want to disturb anyone’s night vision if at all possible.

Thanks!

Tiffany Hopp

MarCom Manager

I believe when I asked you at the Ephrata match in April you mentioned that night vision was either not necessary or should not be used. I've read the posted rules and didn't see anything specific regarding NV equipment and IR lasers. Can you clarify if this equipment will be allowed and is there any potential advantage, or should I just stick with white light and visible laser?

I understood that this match is OPEN, if you can carry it you can use it. I have not seen restrictions of any kind on sighting equipment. If I had NVGs I would bring them. Since I, and probably most other people, don't have them I'm sure you will see mostly white lights and visible lasers at the match.

Here is a link to the rules: http://www.crimsontrace.com/m3gi/rules

Doug

Jessie ,

that is a brilliant idea. I was just planning on striking all of the other competitors in the shins with a collapsable baton. Now I don't need to as you will have already blinded them. I will be wearing a welding hood to protect my night vision. And a headlamp. One of the old time carbide lamps. I also will be shooting in flip flops and a silver metallic speedo. As my normal Miller High life jersey would clash with the speedo, I will just have H.L. scrawled arose my back in sharpie. HIgh speed, low drag.

Edited by Stlhead

Night Vision devices will not be needed for the match. You can certainly bring them if you want though. There are three stages that have some form of shooting with Night Vision. That will be supplied on those stages. One a set of binocular goggles, a clip on Night Vision optic on a stage gun and a FLIR thermal optic on the 240B. Unless you're really proficient with running NV while shooting I'd say you're way, way better off with white light, and of course lasers. I've had all the info on the match for awhile. (I know a guy). My set up will be very similar to any other 3 Gun match. My Glock with Red dot optic and white light, shotgun with a CT Rail light on it and Leupold Delta Point. For the rifle I'm not 100% decided yet. I'll probably run two. My regular JP competition rifle with Leupold VX6 1-6 and Deltapoint with a white light and CT Laser for the long range stage. I'll probably swap guns after that to my work rifle which is a little shorty 12.5" with a suppressor, white light and CT MVF-515.

Only two stages will have targets much past 50 yards. One you will use your regular rifle out to about 150 yards. The target presentation will be such that if your light doesn't reach that far you'll still be able to hit them without lights. Travis and I did it a couple months ago. No problem, although the illuminated reticle was a big help. The other stage will be at 170 with a stage rifle. Other than that everything will be reasonably close, only one other 50 yard rifle shot and four more 50 yard handgun shots.

Jessie ,

that is a brilliant idea. I was just planning on striking all of the other competitors in the shins with a collapsable baton. Now I don't need to as you will have already blinded them. I will be wearing a welding hood to protect my night vision. And a headlamp. One of the old time carbide lamps. I also will be shooting in flip flops and a silver metallic speedo. As my normal Miller High life jersey would clash with the speedo, I will just have H.L. scrawled arose my back in sharpie. HIgh speed, low drag.

This match just got WAY more exciting! :cheers: