Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Adding color to the engravings on a lower reciever

cworks

So I am building a Zombie AR and came across Spikes Tactical Zombie Lower. I have managed to find a company that has one but its not colored like the one below. So a quick google search came up with this you tube video.

Anybody every tried it? If so how durable is it?

post-34074-0-99414200-1331008063_thumb.j

I used crayola crayons on mine. So far, so good. I have had to touch up a few spots from where I got some CLP on it but no big deal. I heated up the engraving with a match and passed the flame over the crayon. I heard you don't want it too goopy (Is that a word?).

I was hoping to get a more permanent application. I was thinking of using 3 different colors on the Zombie so the crayons might be a little irritating if i had to touch it up. Can y'all post a few pictures?

I bought these coloring sticks from Brownells years ago and colored in the engraving on my Glock, Colt HBAR, etc. Its held up surprising well for over 10 years. Comes in red, white, gold and black. Used the white color.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=7778/Product/LACQUER-STIK-reg-

Edited by blaster113

Go to the local target, walmart or whatever and buy a box of crayola crayons. Or just steel some from your kids... :)

CLEAN the part with rubbing alcohol and let dry.

Warm the part with the a hairdryer (not the crayon)

Once the part is warm enough to melt the wax slowly rub it on the part and let the wax flow. go slow you have time, if you get sloppy now it means more clean up later.

let it start to solidify then scrape excess with plastic card

Then you can use green can brake clean to to remove any residue

It will stay in place for a long damn time and is super easy to touch up, and you get hundreds of colors to choose from. :D

All depends on how and what you use to clean the colored area.

To protect it better you can top coat it with auto clearcoat unless you have filled up the engraving all the way with colored whatever.

I bought these coloring sticks from Brownells years ago and colored in the engraving on my Glock, Colt HBAR, etc. Its held up surprising well for over 10 years. Comes in red, white, gold and black. Used the white color.

I use these, but I bought 'em cheap on ebay. They hold up great, fill the holes great, easy to clean the area around, and are bright.

is this hard like a crayon or a thick paint?

is this hard like a crayon or a thick paint?

Softer than a crayon, almost like a bar of soap.

ok thanks!

I cant really find any instructions online. Do you have to heat the metal or just color it on and wipe the excess off?

Edited by cworks

ok thanks!

I cant really find any instructions online. Do you have to heat the metal or just color it on and wipe the excess off?

When I did it, no instructions, I had to remove a small amount of material as it was dried and formed a 'skin'. Once it got that removed, I just colored in the lettering trying to fill as much as I could since the excess has to be wiped off and most surely some from inside the lettering will also get removed.

After filling in the letters, I used a dry cloth to wipe off the excess. Found out if you use a 'stiffer' cloth, it won't remove as much color from inside the lettering. That stuff is hard to wipe off and keep using a clean area of the cloth as the excess will smear onto areas you don't want it.

Haven't tried to use any kind of solvent (brake cleaner; alcohol; etc.) to remove the excess, only elbow grease. So far it still looks good.

I've done it on my dedicated .22lr rifle so there is no need to oil the exterior of the receiver. Only an occasional wipe done with biodegradable gun cleaner. If any should come off, it's easy to add more color.

IIRC I thought there was some info on the arfcom site.

Never thought about using nail polish and may go that route if I want a different color than red and white.

This is my attempt at it with nail polish. I used an old rusted shotgun barrel for practice. It has real light engraving and the first time I tried to wipe the excess polish off I wiped most of it out of the engravings. So instead of letting it get tacky, I let it completely dry and used a light amount of acetone and a paper towel and this is what I got.

post-34074-0-38684300-1331239751_thumb.j

Edited by cworks

I also used crayons....do a search for 'tacticrayola' and see what it brings up on Google

They are usually recommended for polymer components....I did my M&P 15-22 and 10k rounds and counting without any issues....

Guessing the paint approach would be preferred for metal parts...heat transfer could be an issue!

Post some more pics when its completed!