Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clean a mag every time it hits the ground?

Kasteel

I don't clean every time, but as a minimum I will unload a partial mag, during loading I can tell if the mag is dirty if it is I either toss it in the range bag section that I will not use it again or clean it. I take a lot of mags to a match, most 5 stage matches I never reuse a mag.

Good point. i do this everytime. and at least once a match i find a round that has flipped that i wouldnt have seen if i just loaded the mag back up.

Some of the ranges around here are pretty sandy. I probably SHOULD clean my mags anytime they hit the ground, but shooting SS, means I would spend most of the match cleaning mags, and not doing my fair share of pasting or running shooters.

With single stack mags, you actually run a little less risk, just due to the nature of the magazines. The rounds do sorta-kinda stack slightly sideways in them (the mags are wider than the ammo, after all), but there's nowhere near the side to side friction in a single stack mag that you have in a double stack mag of any sort.

That said - you do have the option of using a single stack mag brush on every stage - just push the brush down on top of the follower and pull it back out a couple of times. That will actually get a bunch of the junk out - and it's the only way to clean mags with a welded floor plate. Quick and easy - and better than nothing, for sure. I still prefer to disassemble and clean. When I was shooting L10 w/ a single stack gun, I could get it done within a shooter and a half or so - just got quick at it ;)

Personally... With the amount of time and money we ALL invest in this sport...

The 10 seconds to clean a mag after it's use is well worth it...if it even has the SLIGHTEST chance to improve reliability.

start shooting revo with moon clips and never worry ever again.................in all seriousness even in production with my xd when shooting in sand or gravel ranges i would pop the mags apart that hit the ground apart and run a rag with a zip tie on as a pull through cord its just worth it with the time and effort we put forth in this sport it takes one good jam to put you out of the race.

To each his own I suppose, I don't care if my gear was made by monks fed only fair trade bananas grown by gnomes out of rare earth metals or if it was stamped out by a guy named Geoff with a beer belly. I care if it works and more importantly if it works WITH me to let me put holes in the bits of the paper I intended to perforate. :sight:

This. So many people, and Im guilty of it in the past, spend a huge amount on a gun that they will never be able shoot to its potential. Most of us cant outshoot a box stock polymer gun with a decent triger and sights. But if spending upwards of 3K for a gun makes someone feel better and more confident. And that confidence translates into better performance so be it, but for the large majority of shooters a uber expensive hand built gun kissed by Jesus before shipping is overkill. IMO, and other opinions may vary.

Guess what,

I looked at this thread on friday and I thought i must clean my mags as a competition today..

Well i didnt, and as a result on the last stage failure to feed , or rather the rounds were stuck halfway down the tube....

Newish tubes , newish springs and followers .

Guess who cleaned 8 mags when he got home.

ME.

When I was in vegas I just ran a brush thru them....but after the 1st day I took them apart and cleaned them out. the fine dust is a killer. Large frame mags seem to find more dirt than the small frame mags. Sometimes if I see or HEAR sand / small gravel in them, I turn it upside down...press in the follower and blow in the witness hole in the side of the mag....generally stuff that can cause problems falls out. If I hear cracking of loose material in the mags as I attempt to load it, I put that mag aside. I never have mag issues with my small frame mags. large frame mags usually I run into issues with the dirty mags that have the lips spread out too much. I might take my mags apart after approx. 150rds + or more thru each of them. So roughly every 2200rds, unless they have fell in sand, wet mud or puddles. That is a no brainer,...put them to the side and get a fresh mag.

Mudbowl Nats, I just rinsed my Glock mags in the drainage pond - they ran fine.

Vegas and Mesa, I break them down and brush them out. I have to confess I haven't had a Glock mag ever jam on me, though. Maybe it's psychological - can't stand the gritty feel/sound.