Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

UniqueTek

Do some searching as there are threads around regarding the kit. Seems about 50/50 as to whether it works or not. I ordered a whidden toolhead from them and it alone did NOT help with my oal consistency. I did do a poor mans clamp kit though. I went to LOWE's and bought a piece of aluminum step flashing and cut out a horseshoe shaped shim. I poked two holes in it to run the stock pins through and it is tight in the press. I THINK I got a slight improvement in oal but I get more off center brass going into my U die at station one since there is absolutely no play in the system anymore. I will try to realign the Udie again to see if it helps. My oal is probably as good as it is going to get. I'm down to around .003 either way.

I have the UniqueTek tool head clamp kit on my 650 and it works great at keeping the OAL more consistent. You can really tell a difference when you are missing a round in one station or another. I only shoot one caliber though and never swap tool heads so I couldn't tell you how this clamping kit affect the ease of swapping tool heads to different calibers.

Anybody familiar with this tool?

Uniquetek

They claim it will cure OAL inconsistencies (which I am having a problem with)

If you set the sizing die to remove the slack in the toolhead you will accomplish the same thing and have better sized cases on top of it all. Just don't set it so tight that it binds. Just enough to lift the toolhead. Been doing it for years.

Once you set the sizing die to touch the shellplate, turn very slowly a bit more and take up the small amount of play in the toolhead. The die holds up the toolhead at the end of the down stroke. :cheers:

All removable-toolhead presses have some clearance between parts, to adjust for manufacturing tolerances. On a 550 toolhead, the clearance is substantial, and the toolhead can move up or down quite a bit, creating the OAL issues.

The Uniquetek adjustment screws take up that clearance by tensioning the toolhead against the frame. You lose the ability to change the toolheads quickly though.

So, in essence, you are converting a quick-change press into a slow-change one.

Hardly worth it in my opinion.

Uniquetek has some nice accessories, including the micrometer powder adjuster, that I use and like a lot.

LT

Edited by Linear Thinker