Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loki Lightweight Bolt Carrier

surfmaster

I notice there's a new lightweight bolt carrier from Loki, http://www.ar15news.com/2012/01/06/new-loki-weapon-systems-light-weight-bolt-carrier/. Anyone use it and how does it compare with the JP LMOS carrier? Is the Micro Slick-coated Loki carrier finish just as good as JP's QPQ black hard coat treatment? Thanks in advance for your responses.

I notice there's a new lightweight bolt carrier from Loki, http://www.ar15news.com/2012/01/06/new-loki-weapon-systems-light-weight-bolt-carrier/. Anyone use it and how does it compare with the JP LMOS carrier? Is the Micro Slick-coated Loki carrier finish just as good as JP's QPQ black hard coat treatment? Thanks in advance for your responses.

I just bought one, believe its less than 3 oz (heavier than the JP light weight carrier). Seems to work well but I'm new to the 3gun game.

Seeing how JP is still back ordered on theirs, I tried calling Loki several times yesterday and kept getting the voice mail..

According to spec, there is a .5oz difference between the JP and the Loki (in favor of the JP).

I just bought one, believe its less than 3 oz (heavier than the JP light weight carrier). Seems to work well but I'm new to the 3gun game.

It is the width.

From the JP website: Machined from 416 stainless steel for optimum durability and longevity. Does NOT have forward assist serrations but does feature dust cover notch. 100% increase in bearing surface for smoother operation, improved alignment and lower wear in the upper receiver.

I've seen more than one completely trashed receiver that had been run with a lightened Mil-Spec bolt. There is a lot more to it than just weight reduction. Also, a lightened Mil-Spec bolt will wear the cam path much faster and a POF roller cam is almost a necessity.

So does JP's increased bearing area mean their lightweight carriers do not need a roller cam?

Mick

It is the width.

From the JP website: Machined from 416 stainless steel for optimum durability and longevity. Does NOT have forward assist serrations but does feature dust cover notch. 100% increase in bearing surface for smoother operation, improved alignment and lower wear in the upper receiver.

I've seen more than one completely trashed receiver that had been run with a lightened Mil-Spec bolt. There is a lot more to it than just weight reduction. Also, a lightened Mil-Spec bolt will wear the cam path much faster and a POF roller cam is almost a necessity.

So does JP's increased bearing area mean their lightweight carriers do not need a roller cam?

Mick

There is more there than meets the eye, and it is not just the outer bearing area of the bolt. I don't use a roller cam in the JP LMOS carrier (which I have in every competition rifle I own) because I see no added benefit.

Also, a lightened Mil-Spec bolt will wear the cam path much faster and a POF roller cam is almost a necessity.

What causes them to wear faster? I haven't messed with lightweight carriers much so excuse the ignorance.

Also, a lightened Mil-Spec bolt will wear the cam path much faster and a POF roller cam is almost a necessity.

What causes them to wear faster? I haven't messed with lightweight carriers much so excuse the ignorance.

So to unlock the bolt, the gas enters the gas key and forces the bolt forward (initially) and the carrier backwards. The cam, in the slot on top of the BCG necessarily rotates unlocking the bolt. This creates a multi-directional force on the bolt and the carrier components and the surfaces they are in contact with. The linear force is transfered to the buffer and spring. The non-linear forces to the various mating surfaces. When the weight goes down, the speed goes up, but more importantly, the inertia is reduced. The JP design has accounted for these changes. A mil-spec carrier that had been machined to reduce weight has NOT.

I have not held one of the LOKIs in my hands, but I can see two obvious stress concentations in the cam path that have been created by material removal, just from the photo.

Let me know if I'm understanding you right mark. Your saying that with a lightened bolt carrier you want less weight but more area to make contact? If this is true then why on 1911's do we not have the rails tightened at .001 the whole length of the frame? Usually gunsmiths try to releave some metal around the mag area so that it only has front and back lock up and less friction. But maybe I'm wrong with the whole 1911 reason. I have never messed around with a lightened carrier.

Let me know if I'm understanding you right mark. Your saying that with a lightened bolt carrier you want less weight but more area to make contact? If this is true then why on 1911's do we not have the rails tightened at .001 the whole length of the frame? Usually gunsmiths try to releave some metal around the mag area so that it only has front and back lock up and less friction. But maybe I'm wrong with the whole 1911 reason. I have never messed around with a lightened carrier.

Yes. I will bet a big box of doughnuts that if you measure the surface area of contact on a AR-15 BCG and compare that with a 1911/2011, you will be shocked at the difference. Add to that the fact that pistol cartridges are about 30 to 35 Kpsi and rifle is about 50 kpsi. Energy is not linear either. One of those 7 laws applies here, but let's not go overboard.

WADR to JMB, the materials in 1900 were far below the grades we use now. JMB had no stress analysis package or FMEA. Fact is that a "stock" 1911 pattern gun has WAY more surface area in the rails than is necessary given the configuration, materials and stresses. When the M-16 was designed, material and stress analysis were used and the bearing areas were evaluated. There was a marginal factor of safety.

I trust that explanation makes sense without getting too technical.

Trust JP..they have been doing this longer than anyone for a reason...i just got another of their lightened bolt carriers, moves in the LaRue upper like a piston...Say it with me now...trust JP...trust JP....trust JP :cheers:

Bets

Don't forget Young Manufacturing makes a Super Light carrier as well.

The JP design has accounted for these changes. A mil-spec carrier that had been machined to reduce weight has NOT.

Prove it.

Edited by Chris

Yes, and they have also increased the surface area of contact.

Prove it.

I'm not going to deconstruct the JP design. I don't think it has a patent and I see no need to feed JPs competition with engineering analysis. Likewise, I'm not going to do the engineering for Loki. I have pointed out the issues with the Loki carrier and the discussion already presented above should be sufficient to illustrate the issues.

If you can't see those issues or don't beleive the discussion, feel free to ignore it.

Thank you for your input! I am just going to try to be patient and wait for JP to ship me one...

Yes, and they have also increased the surface area of contact.

Prove it.

I'm not going to deconstruct the JP design. I don't think it has a patent and I see no need to feed JPs competition with engineering analysis. Likewise, I'm not going to do the engineering for Loki. I have pointed out the issues with the Loki carrier and the discussion already presented above should be sufficient to illustrate the issues.

If you can't see those issues or don't beleive the discussion, feel free to ignore it.

Thanks for the technical info. I love this discussion as I have talked to shooters that want to mill things down. Me included... to get lighter this or that. The point about the original design having science applied in the design (countless hours and dollars) has to be considered with pressures / forces at work here. I cycle as my second favor hobby and i am ate up with titanium this and carbon that and ceramic bearings everywhere. There are forces at work there as well that if catastrophic failure accrues you get hurt.

we need more of this kind of education for us newbies

Peace

Edited by CliffP

I've run various lightened mil-spec carriers for years with absolutely zero issues in the upper or the carrier itself. My original, oldest carrier is hacked with the best of them and has over 20k rounds on it with no issues anywhere in the rifle (I've had a few bolts through it over the years and installed a new LOKI 16" barrel to replace the worn out Bushmaster).

I'd run whatever you like as I doubt most of us will ever put enough rounds through any carrier/upper to have issues. I had a JP carrier in my competition rifle for a short time but didn't like the light weight as it seemed to impact my 50 yard splits negatively. I'm trying a LOKI lightweight carrier now and it seems to give me a better feel but the rifle has changed as well. I still don't know if I like the lightened carriers so just run whatever you like and try light vs. heavy to see if you feel a difference :wacko:

Edited by trickpony