Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm STI eagle...

Mike21STI

A friend of mine is buying an STI eagle in 9mm for IDPA. He's wondering if he needs the tuned magazines. I thought you only needed the tuned magazines for the additional capacity but seeing as you can only load to 10th in the magazine, I didn't think he would need the tuned ones. Thoughts?

Tuning can consist of a few different things.

Reliability

capacity

Proper fit in gun

Witness holes

Polishing

I would think for IDPA if the mags work 100% in his gun they should be fine.

But polishing inside and out would be a good idea as it will make sure nothing hangs up.

But yes, most people get mags tuned to get another round or two in the big stick games.

My Eagle will chew thru anything I put in it, only had one failure to feed since I bought it and that was because I was in a hurry and loaded a round backwards in the magazine inbetween stages. Having said that, I do run tuned mags with it though. I bought a 4pack of DP tuned 140mm mags from Dawson Precision.

I have five 126 mm mags I use for IDPA. Four of them worked great right out of the box. One didn't. Figured out the follower was going past a hair past the feed lips which made it a bear to strip out on an empty mag. Probably a Friday afternoon production. Like the other post stated. Check them first to see if they function properly and go from there.

• 4 months later...

My Eagle will chew thru anything I put in it, only had one failure to feed since I bought it and that was because I was in a hurry and loaded a round backwards in the magazine inbetween stages. Having said that, I do run tuned mags with it though. I bought a 4pack of DP tuned 140mm mags from Dawson Precision.

It's a STI not an HK!!!

If you consider the cost of buying the mags, adding base plate and good followers and springs, you are will be within 10-20 dollars of buying tuned mags from Bob at Brazos, so why not jut get them tuned and ready to rock for only a few bucks more.

If you consider the cost of buying the mags, adding base plate and good followers and springs, you are will be within 10-20 dollars of buying tuned mags from Bob at Brazos, so why not jut get them tuned and ready to rock for only a few bucks more.

Does brazos tune 126 mags? The original poster said he needed mags for IDPA.

Edited by CJcycles

Thanks for all the replies, just as an update, my friend bought the 9mm eagle and it has run flawlessly from brazos. He opted to get the stock magazines too since it is going to be used for IDPA exclusively.

For uspsa where capacity helps get them tuned if you want that extra round. i go untuned and get 23 in my 140s and 28 in my 170 reliable. For 40 im getting 20. For IDPA go stock mags and if they dont work, send them to sti till they do