Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

VZ's for CZ's

ck1

Turns out now I've tried all 3 of the currently available grip options from VZ Grips, because info/opinions on the VZ's for CZ's in particular are still fairly scarce (which I guess is why, in part, after lots of searching I've now ended up trying all 3 types for myself), and also since it's come up in quite a few threads on CZ grip options, figured I'd share what I've found in my experience with the different types that are available so far...

The first ones I tried were up until recently the only ones VZ offered, now they're using a proper name identifying their texture/style, they're the "Tactical Diamonds", and they rock. They're strange in that they look like they're going to be slippery or maybe as though the fine checkering is just "for show", but once you put them in your hands, in reality they're about 2-3 times as grippy as grips that have been covered in skateboard tape... They have a weird quality unto them that's IMHO different from any other grips I've tried on a CZ (and I've tried nearly all of 'em) in that their texture makes them extremely grippy (more so than almost all the others out there), but yet at the same time, they don't hurt and feel quite comfortable to the touch and can even be carried IWB without too much discomfort. I'd describe these grips as "sleepers" in a way, as they look more like the type of grips guys might get just to enhance their pistol's looks or to just slim the gun down with their thinner more "flat with subtle radius" rather than "palm-swell" profile, but the texture performs, and I think the grip they offer is really more so towards that which most competition/action shooters are looking for; they're not "all show, no go", there's actually much more "go" there than you can really see just by looking at them and without actually handling them.

0e3539d8.jpg

Next I tried the "Frag" iteration. These, of the 3 types available, are probably the ones I'd reach for if I was just looking for some cool looking, well-made grips with an awesome profile. They're not quite what I'd call slippery, but they're certainly not going to maim anyone's hands either. The Frags, purchase-wise, IMO are more along the lines of maybe what I consider a 3rd generation Glock's grip texture to be; they'll give you something if you really clamp down on them, but otherwise they might as well be smooth. These might be the best VZ option for anyone who carries a CZ IWB day-in day-out, the profile still rocks, they just don't have the kind of bite one might expect from checkered G10 grips, in fact I'd bet most competition/action shooters would most likely have skateboard tape covering them by the end of a day or two, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing if that's not what you're looking for.

f153a290.jpg

The latest ones I've tried are the "Diamondbacks"... HOLY FREAKIN' AGGRESSIVE! I'm no wuss when it comes to aggressively textured grips, my hands have seen some work over the years and are pretty tough, and I've had (and liked) lots of different types of sharply cut G10 grips over the years on lots of different guns (mostly 1911's), to name a few examples: Larry Davidson Shredders, Simonich Gunner Grips, the original VZ Diamondbacks for 1911's, etc... for the CZ's I've had the CZC AL "lemon graters", AL grips covered in skateboard-tape, and pretty much all the others of relevance. IMO these VZ Diamondbacks for CZ are hands down more aggressive than any of them, with fairly large hands (XL-XXL in a Hatch duty glove) and after working on my grip strength to where I'm now closing a Captains of Crush #2 for a few reps, I'd have to say that they're actually painfully sharp. I have little doubt that I could probably draw blood if I were to really clamp down on them on a cold morning, they're THAT aggressive. I'm not quite sure if it's just their inherent sharpness or maybe that coupled with my grip being stronger and that they slim down the CZ to where I can crush the crap out of my strong-hand with my support-hand, but it's actually sort of ridiculous, I want to love them but they freaking hurt me, and this after only dry firing with them for a short while a couple times... I never actually thought that I would come across grips that were actually too aggressive for me, in fact the thought hadn't even crossed my mind, but it is what it is, and it looks like I might have to wimp out and exchange them for another one of the other types.

I think these might be the s**t for some guys though, I mean once you're clamped on your grip isn't going anywhere. They might even be good too for guys who's grip isn't really that strong or developed as the texture does a lot of work for you on it's own, but for me, I think it's too much. I've spent a while now making my grip stronger and stronger, and trying to adjust to loosening it up with these grips so my hands aren't killing me by the end of the day just seems kind of wrong to me. JMHO. EDIT: I've since handled the Diamondbacks more and have come around to where I like them. They do in fact pretty much feel too-aggressive at first, but seems it takes a few days to get used to them... The shear amount of grip they offer is incredible, and as it seems is the case with most things, no pain = no gain (at least, for me, it's true in this case).

8b970ff2.jpg

Thanks to VZ's excellent customer service, with only the added cost of covering additional shipping, an exchange of the Diamondbacks for another pair of the Tactical Diamonds could be made as they're still new, worth noting as besides the nice grips, good customer service goes a long way when it comes to getting my repeat business and VZ Grips seems to have that together too which is nice and getting rare these days.

A bunch of guys on this forum have had these grips as well, and hopefully they can chime in with how they feel about them if they want to. VZ makes a great product in all 3 of the different types available and I hope they continue to make even more, but at $75 a pair + shipping, hopefully this post will help make finding the right ones maybe a little bit cheaper than it was for me.

Edited by ck1

Nice work, Chip.

-- I do have a pair of the VZ Diamond Backs. Notwithstanding their aggressive profile, I do like them quite a bit.

-- I also have a pair of CZC's arched aluminum grips, which have a more contoured/convex grip surface. Although these are nominally thicker than the VZ (1.3" vs 1.2"), the grips feel much thicker; whereas the VZ Diamond Backs are a bit flatter and feel "longer" front-to-back because of their profile.

At this point, I'm not sure which pair will be my "go to" grips. Will shoot a local match next weekend using the VZ Diamond Backs.

Chip...good information, thanks for the review.

I run the tactical diamonds and like the feel of the grip and my hands do not shift on them whatsoever.

I am hoping to try the diamondback texture soon, but have been happy with the tactical diamonds.

Thanks guys. I just wanted to try and describe the different textures as they're quite different from one and other and searching threads on them hadn't turned up much detail.

I'm still kind of on the fence as to whether I should exchange the Diamondbacks for the Tactical Diamonds as they are really pretty bad-ass, and they literally leave their mark on the meat of my support-hand palm and keep it stuck to the grip. It could just be the case that I'm not used to grip panels feeling so sharp, and that actually might turn out to be a big plus once the heat and humidity of our TN summers comes around...

I haven't tried the frags, but I do have the other 2 textures, and the above review is spot on how I feel about them. The Tactical diamonds are great for a carry gun thats going to be right up against your skin or undershirt, enough grip, but not so much it'll grate your skin off. The Diamondbacks are probably a bit too aggressive for that role, but are great for match use. They give that extra bit of grippiness when your hands get sweaty.

• 1 month later...

Late to the party, but do you think there is any real difference in the thickness of the diamondbacks vs the tactical diamonds? Just put in an order for my first CZ. Going to try standard rubber grips to start with (big hands), but looking trying one of these in the future after I get a handle of the CZ.

Late to the party, but do you think there is any real difference in the thickness of the diamondbacks vs the tactical diamonds? Just put in an order for my first CZ. Going to try standard rubber grips to start with (big hands), but looking trying one of these in the future after I get a handle of the CZ.

No difference that I can tell.