Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DA/SA in Production

IuniusBrutus

I've been shooting IDPA a while, and would like to start shooting USPSA with my CZ SP-01.

Only problem is, it is a DA/SA gun with a manual safety. Since I have to start hammer down, this would mean I would have to lower the hammer on a hot chamber by hand. While this isn't exactly what I would like to do, I would not be too bothered by it. I'm more concerned about the RO being bothered...while the pistol would obviously be pointed down range during this, I can understand how it could cause concern.

My question: Am I being too worried about this? Is it common? Or while ROs typically not allow it?

My question: Am I being too worried about this? Is it common? Or while ROs typically not allow it?

It must be done so RO's have no say. Like Chuck said practice it until there is no doubt you can safely do it.

It's very common. In case an RO threatens to DQ you for having a finger in the trigger guard while loading, refer them to:

10.5.9 Failure to keep the finger outside the trigger guard during loading, reloading, or unloading. Exception: while complying with the “Make Ready” command to lower the hammer of a gun without a decocking lever, or while initially loading a revolver with a spurless hammer.

It's more common than you think. It's no big deal. Just remember, Pull hammer back, then pull trigger, then lower hammer.

And if an RO gives you a hard time, politely quote the rule Skydiver quotes above. If they still argue with you, call for the CRO. And if he agrees with the RO, call for the RM. I doubt that will happen, but know your options. Especially when you are right!

But remember to grasp your hammer with 2 finger, thumb and index, and not just rely on your thumb, too much chance to let him slip...

I like to put the pad of my thumb on the front of the hammer (part that hits firing pin) lift the hammer off the sear, pull trigger and then lower hammer till thumb is pinched between hamer and slide then roll thumb out from between hammer and slide.

Mike