Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IOR Valdada Pitbull 1-4x

BlueOvalBruin

Has anyone used this scope and could you comment on it? Also, I know there’s a 2nd generation version that’s been out for a little while now that supposedly had better illumination than the 1st gen. Could anyone comment on how good the illumination is on the 2nd gen scopes?

I have trouble getting proper head position sometimes during fast hoser stuff and awkward long range positions and would like to get a bigger exit pupil. I also want more FOV for finding targets without needing prescription glasses which I hate shooting with. It seems the Pitbull would fit the bill nicely and isn’t too bad pricewise.

Thanks.

Optics...I have worked with and used at various matches the USO SN4 (gone), Swaro 1x6 BRT (gone), Leupold 1.5x5 duplex ret. (now on a 416 Rem Mag Mdl 70) Weaver 1x3 (on a 22 now)

I have been the most happy the the IOR PitBull!!! I have 3 of the latest generation units and I love them!

Clean, Fast fast fast up close and great at long range with the ballistic drop reticle. IT DOES WEIGH A TON! 23 oz!!!

The new ones have a bigger built in "cattail" and have a shorter throw..less that 90'

If you go that way please call Val at IOR Valdada and tell hiim I sent you...you might get a deal you might not, I don't have that

much pull, but I use their products. Otherwise SWFA has good prices.

If you go PitBill get IOR's "LaRue" like mount, it really makes the package perfect.

Oh and it is (on max power) daylight bright! Not a bright as the Swaro, but again I sold my Swaro!

There you have it!

Good luck mister

Patrick

Optics...I have worked with and used at various matches the USO SN4 (gone), Swaro 1x6 BRT (gone), Leupold 1.5x5 duplex ret. (now on a 416 Rem Mag Mdl 70) Weaver 1x3 (on a 22 now)

I have been the most happy the the IOR PitBull!!! I have 3 of the latest generation units and I love them!

Clean, Fast fast fast up close and great at long range with the ballistic drop reticle. IT DOES WEIGH A TON! 23 oz!!!

The new ones have a bigger built in "cattail" and have a shorter throw..less that 90'

If you go that way please call Val at IOR Valdada and tell hiim I sent you...you might get a deal you might not, I don't have that

much pull, but I use their products. Otherwise SWFA has good prices.

If you go PitBill get IOR's "LaRue" like mount, it really makes the package perfect.

Oh and it is (on max power) daylight bright! Not a bright as the Swaro, but again I sold my Swaro!

There you have it!

Good luck mister

Patrick

Perhaps I missed something but it doesn't make sense to me, why do you like the Pitbull it so much ? It weighs a lot more than the Swarovski, its illumination is lacking in bright sun light, it has only settings 1 and 4x. Seems like a very limited scope. I can't imagine the glass quality would beat Swarovski. So what was it that made you use it over a scope that seems to have a lot more going for it? If you liked it you should look at the Elcan its 1 and 4 with good daylight illumination.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

The Elcan has issues with POI shift when switching back and forth between 1-4. The Swaro, sorry fanboys, is a waste for three gun. Who needs to spend 2k for a scope with more magnification than we need for three gun. I've played around with a couple of the Swaros and just wasn't that impressed.

The Elcan has issues with POI shift when switching back and forth between 1-4. The Swaro, sorry fanboys, is a waste for three gun. Who needs to spend 2k for a scope with more magnification than we need for three gun. I've played around with a couple of the Swaros and just wasn't that impressed.

I like that 6x on the top end and the clarity is great. A lot of top shooters don't think its a waste and are winning matches with it. That 6x and crystal clear glass makes making hits out to 500 yards easy.(Thats as far as I have gone with it so far) I do hear what your saying from a few others but in matches I almost never think dang I wish I had less magnificaiton. 1-6 scopes are the wave of the future, we now have several other companies coming out with them. If there was no need their would not be such a demand. Just because you have a 6x scope does not mean you need to dial it up to 6x on every stage. You have the ability to stop at any level between 1 and 6 you want. Having options is better than not having them. This is another reason I personally don't like the Pitbull or the Elcan concept because its just 1 or 4.

As to the Elcan's issues with zero shift from 1 to 4 is was fairly minimal. My roommate has one. And its a non issue really because you should be zeroed on 4x for the long shots where it would matter and 1x is for hoser affairs so its not a big deal to be 1 moa off at 10 yards.

Different strokes for different folks.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

I have the IOR Valdada 1-4 scope not the Pitbull Model. I have tried numerous scopes and have been impressed the IOR. I can see where the Pitbull is faster than my 1-4 model. I either have mine set on 1 or 4 and can't ever remember using any setting between the two. The IOR Valdada glass is excellent.

Thanks Pat for the reply. Sounds like a good scope to check out. Any parallax issues with the wide exit pupil? Also, is the larue style mount included nowadays or do they still provide separate rings? I would most definitely pick up that 1-piece mount if I got the scope but for the separate rings, which ring height would be most similar to a larue spr-e mount?

Not interested in the Swaro, I’ve tried a friend’s and the glass clarity is very nice but the exit pupil is way too small and smaller than my current scope. I probably wouldn’t even consider it at half its price because of that.

Has anyone else had any experience with the Pitbull? Preferably the latest generation?

Thanks.

I have the 1.5-8x IOR. I am a totally inexperienced 3Gunner-one RM3G under my belt and SM3G next month.

I do know a little bit about pistol shooting.

Being an old guy, the 8x really helps these old eyes. The glass in mine is Schott. Which many of you may know is quite good.

On a steady rest, I easily hit a MGM 8 plate with a safety block at 355 yards, yesterday.

I tailored some VV133 69SMK for it. The scoped worked at to 600m for me with these loads.

I have not check the POI by sighting in at 8x and shooting at 4x. I have heard, but not confined, the POI may change.

I have used this scope on a JP and in a franken AR with a Sabre Defence 1in8 barrels. These guns shoot sub MOA. The JP was sub 1/2MOA with my hand loads in a concrete tunnel (no wind factor).

I'm a big fan of bright illumination. If IOR has improved the brightness, I would be interested in taking anouther look. 23oz really isn't that bad once you consider that most of the other 1-4x scopes out there run between 20 and 24oz with a high Larue104. My Meopta is about 23oz with the mount and cat tail. I agree that more options is gooder. I really like the Z6i BRT scopes, but don't have one because they are simply too expensive. The Pitbull offers up a similar field of view and good glass in a compact package. If the illumination has improved then it's a big win at the price point.

My issue is the inconsistency in IOR quality. A lot of the guys over at Sniper's Hide have had issues with scopes that they've received. IOR is good about making the repairs but I for one don't want to drop that kind of coin on a scope and then have to send it back (sometimes more than once).