Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

power factor out of your .40 2011's

Mike21STI

What power factor does most .40 factory ammo make (winchester, remington, federal, etc) out of your 5" 2011's? I know most reload but for those that don't or have tested them, please let me know. Do they all make major?

Virtually any 180gr. factory ammo will make major - and then some.

The closest to major I've found were WWB and Remington UMC 165 gr which chronoed at about 175 and Federal American Eagle that came out at 179 or so. This was out of a Glock 35, so more than likely it would be a little lower out of a 5" 2011, give or take.

There was one 165gr .40 factory ammo that chronoed at 164, but the name escapes me. It comes in a black and gold box.

180 Hydra shock was 173PF IIRC at 2010 Nationals. That was out of a factory 5" STI. 165 Gold dot is supposed to be about the same I think.

Winchester White box 165 states 1060 so about 175, but 40 numbers are usually out of a 4" test barrel.

"There was one 165gr .40 factory ammo that chronoed at 164, but the name escapes me. It comes in a black and gold box." I think Blazer brass stated velocity is 1040 so out of a slow barrel on a cold or hot day who knows, maybe a light batch?

No matter what I would chrono before a major no matter what I was using.

180 Hydra shock was 173PF IIRC at 2010 Nationals. That was out of a factory 5" STI. 165 Gold dot is supposed to be about the same I think.

Winchester White box 165 states 1060 so about 175, but 40 numbers are usually out of a 4" test barrel.

"There was one 165gr .40 factory ammo that chronoed at 164, but the name escapes me. It comes in a black and gold box." I think Blazer brass stated velocity is 1040 so out of a slow barrel on a cold or hot day who knows, maybe a light batch?

No matter what I would chrono before a major no matter what I was using.

That's it. Blazer Brass. I chronoed it the same day I chronoed the other stuff, and with the same gun, but of course other factors could apply.

tried some 180 grain loads in my old Edge; WWB was something like 178 or so pf. Fed American Eagle 180 grain was a little slower and felt better. Blazer 180 grain was the hottest I tried so far at 180+ pf. Hydrashok actually felt nice and was very accurate but wouldnt feed reliably.

been shooting some UMC 180 grain stuff out of my new 6" gun, have yet to chrono but it feels soft, probably 175 pf or so.