Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Coated Lead vs. plated

Bunchies95

I just sent this to Donnie at Bayou Bullets:

Donnie,
I recieved the 225 gr FP 45 ACP bullets. Made up 100 and shot a match with them.
Let me tell you buddy, the gun ran fine, as accurate as always and never missed a beat.
Fast shipment to me and the price works also.(Think I got them in 3 days.)
You will be getting more of my business.
Thanks again,
Mike Merkler

As you can see, you get a lot of views. It really depends on "your" budget. Forget lead bullets--to much smoke and lead in the air.

If money is no object--Montana Gold. I have used all the bullets mentioned. Copper Jacketed are easier to reload than plated or coated. If you go coated, Bayou is very good. I got a great price break on X-treme plated and they rock. One note: We are talking Minor or 40 minor or major.

For open--Montana Gold.

• 2 weeks later...

The POLYMER COATED bullets with (HI-TEK formula) from Australia are being sold both as COATED BULLETS

or as the COMPONENTS TO COAT your own castings. (Color & Catalyst, you supply the Acetone).

Bayou Bullets, Gateway Bullets and SNS Casting are three of the manufactures

offering this coating or coated projectiles at the present time that I know of.

I'm sure there will be more companies as MORE AND MORE shooters are

exposed to this wonderful product, NO LUBING MESS, NO LEADING,

NO SMOKE to speak of, CLEAN BARRELS, What's not to like?

AUSSIE Competitive Shooters have used them for YEARS!

I'm impressed with the ones I've coated and shot, especially going

from conventional lubed or ALOX lubed projectiles.

• 2 weeks later...

As a relatively new reloader/shooter (started reloading in Jan 2012) I'm up to about 8000 rds of 9mm 147 gr in a Dillon 550B. I started reloading during the mess when you could not get components so I did not have the luxury to start with a consistent set of bullets, powder or primers. Now that I have finally got my training wheels off I'm getting more selective on my chice of components. My bullet choices started with Berrys or MG and now Bayou. While my initial selections were driven by avaibablity rather than perfomance I just got my first 1000 of Bayou and chronoed them last weekend. They reloaded great and I did not have a single failure using my case guage over 300 rds. Typically I'd get 1-2 failures on the Berrys per 300 rds (don't know why). For my skill set Accuuracy was fine and the recoil seemed less at a lower powder charge. I'm sold on Bayou as long as they are in stock.

For the Bayou I dropped by powder charge by about .3 grns compared to the Berrys/MG and still get the same PF. I use 231 for practice and I'm going to use Tite group for matches but I have not used it yet.

and yes Donnie is a great guy he spent some time with me on phone and did not give me that "attitude" you get sometimes when you ask new shooter/reloader questions. He also said spring is there, the gators are stiring. if that could only happen up here.

I just sent this to Donnie at Bayou Bullets:

Donnie,

I recieved the 225 gr FP 45 ACP bullets. Made up 100 and shot a match with them.

Let me tell you buddy, the gun ran fine, as accurate as always and never missed a beat.

Fast shipment to me and the price works also.(Think I got them in 3 days.)

You will be getting more of my business.

Thanks again,

Mike Merkler

What are these 225gr bullets you speak of? I don't see any 225gr .45acp bullets on Bayou's web site.

This is an old thread that got revived. Since I originally posted 2 years ago the coating on the Bayou bullets has changed. This new coating is much better in my opinion. It is cleaner to handle and I don't notice a smell when I shoot like the old coating. I shoot these almost exclusively now.

Has anyone tried this newer coating against tight group?

Yea

This is an old thread that got revived. Since I originally posted 2 years ago the coating on the Bayou bullets has changed. This new coating is much better in my opinion. It is cleaner to handle and I don't notice a smell when I shoot like the old coating. I shoot these almost exclusively now.

Has anyone tried this newer coating against tight group?

Yea, lots. Me included. It shoots awesome with no leading and great accuracy. Very clean :bow: