Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Sentry - what else would help?

Tactica

I'm very new to IDPA. I started in the later half of 2011. I've shot several practice sessions in the summer/fall months and one large match. I just purchased a new STI Sentry in 9mm for use in IDPA this year. It has the FO front. I'm looking to order the parts and get it set up to run smooth in ESP. I'm looking for suggestions.

I'm thinking about:

DP ice magwell

DP mags

DP tooless guide rod

9# recoil spring

I don't know what to do for grips, mag release, holster or mag pouches.

Am I missing anything?

Would you recomend anything different?

Thank you,

Rob

Everybody does it just a little different. On my Trojan I went with Ed Brown's mag well, Ed Brown extended magazine release and Wilson magazines with two coils removed. To much magazine spring when running light recoil and main springs. Nine pound recoil spring and a fifteen pound mainspring with the STI hammer. A lighter hammer might require a seventeen pound mainspring. I'm shooting heavier bullets and Winchester primers. I just drilled a hole in the guide rod and use a bent piece of bent paper clip to remove the captured recoil spring.

These little guns like oil, run it wet. I'm a fan of Mobil 1 5W30 fully synthetic, quart goes a long way! Use the little needle oiler from Brownell's.

I've enjoyed my Trojan, have a blast with your Sentry.

I love my Tech-well grips and magwell. I use Tripp cobra mags, they rock. The guide rod is drilled. You cant do much with the mag release and still be IDPA legal. I change out the ignition group with an extreme lite speed kit and I had the trigger tweaked to just under 2 pounds. I use a blade-tech holster but didn't like their mag pouches so I use a Black Hawk dual mag pouch. Have fun! I use slide glide, the medium weight but after I apply it I put a little clp on also to thin it out a little more. Thing just runs!:cheers:

Edited by Paul-the new guy

im running a fusion main spring housing/chute, 19lb mainspring, 11lb recoil spring, Dawson FO FS, Dawson IDPA legal mag release and had the trigger tuned to about 3.5lbs. Im using dawson 10 rd mags too. I also got a set of Alumagrips (slim & lightweight). Im also using a bladetech holster and mag pouches for now.

honestly we can suggest back and forth what we like and suggest you do but at the end of the day its your gun and it has to work for you.

hkguy,

Agreed. No right / wrong answers, but when I see something that looks like a trend, or even something I didn't think about - it still helps me throw it on the list and do some research. If I can make an informed decision, I will hopefully spend less $$ and get it all in one or two orders... heh, wishful thinking perhaps. I want to learn as much as I can from the vets, before I make my own call is all. ;)

Holster, I've seen all sorts, but the Safariland (5198 I believe) and the Blade Tech seem pretty common. Any reason folks land there so often? I'm a larger guy, so comfort is a consideration.

With mags, Dawson Precision vs. Tripp Cobra mags in the Sentry... anyone tried both? Pros / cons one way or the other that I should consider?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Watch the weight. I have to use AL grips (tech-well) and a Briley AL guide rod to make IDPA weight in my 9mm 1911.

I've run Trips and Metalform (same profile as Dawson, Dawson uses different follower and basepad). The Trips feed a 147gr flatpoint and round nose 100%. Montana Gold 124 JHP are not 100%. The Metalform's feed everything 100%. Both needed tuning to lock back the slide 100%.

Factory mag release will be fine. Blade Tech or Comptac holster. I use blade-tech or homemade comptac/ready-tac look a like mag holders.

with all my goodies, my spartan tips the scales at 42.9 oz using dawson mags w/ aluminum base pads. with my metalform mags with plastic base pads, im at 42.6 oz. just something to consider. Im toying with the idea of either drilling my guide rod or swapping it out for an aluminum one to trim a little weight. my metal forms have fed everything i feed it (JHP's and various FMJ's and plated bullets). ill be testing the dawson mags later today so ill give a report on that in the next day or so.

as to the holster, ive had really good luck with with all my other bladetech holsters for IDPA (have them for a USPc, P30L, and a GP100) so i figured i would stick with what works for me.

I'd add a taller magazine catch.

Brown says theirs won't over-depress and bind... but they will. I have had to grind additional clearance on all mine.

I have Tripp Cobramags, Wilson ETM, and Metalform Ultramag stock and modified.

The modified Metalforms may be the best in my guns but I prefer the Tripp in stock style.

I have not tried the Dawson but one of our guys shoots them with no problems.

As said, beware of the total weight. I have an aluminum FLGR and an aluminum S&A magwell funnel on my Colt.

Good feedback, very helpful guys.

I see total weight is a big gotcha with this firearm. I will be concious of that.

Getting an accurate weight on all of these parts before order is not going to be easy. I may just make an order, get it all in, catalogue the various weights and figure out what is and isn't going to work if I have to make choices. I hate to do it that way, but I don't really know what else to do.

I have much to think about.

cheers,

<snip>

I changed out the ignition group with an extreme lite speed kit and I had the trigger tweaked to just under 2 pounds. <snip>

I looked at this as well.

How much fitting work did this require? I'm no gunsmith but have tweaked this, sanded that and done a bit of fitting work here and there on some other pistols. Taking it to a gunsmith is not out of the question, but I prefer to do the work myself if I can.

Oh, did you have to replace the grip safety as a result?

Cheers,

After trying to research the weight of individual parts, I decided that wasn't worth the time. I placed an order.

From SC:

Bladetech holster & two individual mag pouches

From DP:

Ice No Gap magwell, flat mainspring housing

4 mags No Gap, comp IDPA approved basepads

15 & 17# Wolf mainsprings

IDPA appoved larger mag release

DP Tooless guide rod

I already have a myriad of new recoil springs to fuss around with. I also have a spare full length guide rod to toy with. I like the trigger as is right now, so may not mess with that straight away. I don't know what I'll do with grips yet either.

This should get me to the point where I can start working on a load receipe and determining what parts I can and cannot go with due to weight.

Thanks for the discussion and input.

Cheers,

<snip>

I changed out the ignition group with an extreme lite speed kit and I had the trigger tweaked to just under 2 pounds. <snip>

I looked at this as well.

How much fitting work did this require? I'm no gunsmith but have tweaked this, sanded that and done a bit of fitting work here and there on some other pistols. Taking it to a gunsmith is not out of the question, but I prefer to do the work myself if I can.

Oh, did you have to replace the grip safety as a result?

Cheers,

I had a gunsmith do the trigger work. He did not have to change the grip saftey but I did have him tweak it. He made it much easier to depress and he adjusted it so it only take about .020 of movement to disengage it. I had trouble with the grip safety several times and wanted it as light and easy as possible but still be 100% functional.

sounds like you put together a nice package of goodies. The one thing that I did not change that I will on this one and on any others that I get is the trigger itself. It does not fit very well and it moves up and down. :cheers:

Paul, thanks for the reply. That's helpful info.

I dropped the gun off today at a local GS for a trigger job. He's going to use the existing STI parts for now and see what I think. I still may end up doing the Dawson Lightweight trigger group if weight becomes an issue and if there is a chance I get get any weight savings from the Dawson trigger group.

Question, if weight is an issue, can I swap out the ambi-safety side for a blank making it only strong hand safety only... or does this violate the no safety disabling rule?

I like the idea of lightening / tuning the grip safety. Will keep that in mind.

Next on my list is some lighter weight grips that feel right. Problem is ordering something you haven't had a chance to weigh or try yourself for fit.... <grumble>

I switched out my Spartan steel guide rods for Briley aluminum guide rods from Power Factor Shooting. I have VZ grips on my guns but they are heavy so I used a dremel and hollowed out the backs of them to drop some weight.

The steel main spring housing with the Ice will add some weight. Dawson also sells an aluminum MSH for the Ice magwell that will save you some more weight. I use a single sided thumb safety, IDPA posi-lock mag catch and the steel MSH and altogether I'm at 42.5oz. and 42.6oz. with a empty Dawson Supreme Tac mag.

I'm not sure how much the Dawson guide rod weighs, but the Briley is light as a feather and very durable. If you keep the ambi-safety, you may need to go with the aluminum main spring housing and possibly a lighter guide rod.

Switching out the safety is NOT considered disabling a safety on the gun.

Edited by dsmw5142

Mark,

Great info, I have several take aways from that post. The Briley and Dawson aluminum MSH are both interesting. I ordered this one from Dawson, but can't tell if the MSH is aluminum or not.

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=80000ACF-1262701767

I'll be giving them a call tomorrow.

The help is much appreciated. This thread has been a significant help already guys.

Many thanks,

Rob

Edited by Tactica

I picked up a sentry for IDPA and so far the only thing I did was change out the god awful Recoil master with a Dawson no tool flgr, I am trying a few different loads to see how they run, I'm going to try 147 grain precisions, 124 jhp, and 135 bayou's to see what works best for me. I bought a 10 lb recoil spring but I installed one of my used 12.5 that I pull out of my Brazos limited gun every 3000 rounds. I need to weigh my after changing out the flgr and see what it is.

Holsters, this will again open everybody favorite but I settled on Ready Tactical over a Blade Teck that was my first choice. I prefer a belt holster as I feel it has less movement during the draw. I'm sure a good Gunsmith can get the stock parts to run fine in your pistol.

These little nine's are a lot of fun, if your reloading try some of the heavier bullets. Lighter recoil at the same power factor.

On my Trojan I did the following.

Infinity aluminum magwell and MSH.

Brazos trig kit tuned to 2 lbs.

Aftec extractor.

VZ opperator grips

Tuned the ejector

Serrated the top of the flat topped slide

Serrated rear ofthe slide

cut barrel flush with the bushing and crowned

and had it refinished.

I called Dawson today. The mags I ordered are on back order due to missing part (crap, oh well)... the Ice Magwell that comes with the MSH is Stainless Steel. The aluminum MSH for 1911 is an additional cost part. I ordered it today so I can tinker with that weight adjustment. (Thanks for tip)

I *really* want to use the tooless FLGR, but I have a feeling that could be another weighty item. I ordered the Briley aluminum guide rod today, just in case. (Thanks for tip)

Good news, I got the gun back from the Gunsmith last night. I was impressed to see that he got the thing done in one day! Trigger pull is set at 2.5 lb and breaks clean. Reset is slick. I figure a 15 lb mainspring change (when parts arrive) should get it down to about 2 lb. That was the first time I used his services, I'll be going back.

Cheers,

You should be fine with weight, I have a 9mm sentry with the Dawson ice magwell, mil-tac g10 grips, and a stainless steel guide rod that made 42.75 ounces with the factory mag. I switched over to an aluminum flgr, just to be on the safe side unless the scales are calibrated/not calibrated the same. The aluminum guide rod will take off .9 of an ounce. Good luck with it, I have about 7000 rounds through mine and I love it. I run tripps with it and never had an issue

Parts are starting to come in. I installed the IDPA legal DP extended mag release, I like it. It's got one hell of a stiff spring, but I like it. I can activate it more consistently and confidently it seems.

The DP tooless FLGR and 9 # RS are in, but not going to fire it until I get the aluminum MSH and 15# MS in.

Dawson says the aluminum MSH is going to be delayed a couple weeks as well, it's out for annodizing from what I'm told. So no mags and don't want to waste time with the steel MSH, which means I'm in a holding pattern.

Oh, and had to get a replacement ice magwell insert, the front of the black insert on mine is seperating... like a bad injection mold or something.

Blade Tech holster and mag pouches also arrived. The 3 screws on the holster / OWB belt loop part - stick out of the fasteners more than I would like (about flush with where the recess starts inside the holster)... When drawing the gun, I could see a potential for scratching the gun. I'm not sure if I like that OWB blade tech belt loop part at all... need to think about that... I'm wondering if a Tek Loc part there would be better... [EDIT: I'm going to try a washer behind the screw and see if that does the trick without interfearing with the belt.]

Rob

Edited by Tactica