Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil spring on 9mm

44stevenson

Anyone know the factory recoil spring weight? I'm have an occasional failure to slide lock on last shot and I'm pretty sure its just the ammo being a little on the weak side. Also what is benefits of different spring weights? I'm thinking a stronger spring provides a faster recoil of the slide which would make it faster to next shot.

Are you saying the slide does not go back into battery on the last shot or the slide does not lock open on the last shot? If the slide does not lock open on the last shot, I don't think it's an issue with the recoil spring. More then likely a problem with the mag, slide release lever, riding the slide release lever or some combination.

Yes, a heavier spring will return the slide faster, but a seriously doubt you are able to pull the trigger faster then the time it takes for the slide to go all the way back, eject the spent casing, load a new round and go back into battery.

Its not always locking back on the last shot. I know its not a mag problem, I have 7 mags and they all do it. All though it doesn't happen everytime. I'm pretty certain the springs is too string just didn't know what the downside of a lighter recoil spring might be.

Edited by 44stevenson

The down side of a light recoil spring with standard loads is you beat the crap out of your gun. I doubt you have a recoil spring problem. Have you inspected the slide stop lever? Might be the weak spring is there. :)

I don't know anything about M&Ps really, but could you be holding down the slide release accidentally? It happens a lot with other gun designs.

This is my source of failed hold opens on last round fired.

I'd pay extra attention to your grip on last shots to rule this out first.

I don't know anything about M&Ps really, but could you be holding down the slide release accidentally? It happens a lot with other gun designs.

I know i'm not touching the slide release, these slide releases are very tough to release on purpose, it faster for me to use my off hand to rack the slide than trying to press the slide release.

I know i'm not touching the slide release, these slide releases are very tough to release on purpose, it faster for me to use my off hand to rack the slide than trying to press the slide release.

Yes, the slide release is hard to release once the slide is locked back, but it only takes a small amount of pressure to keep it from engaging as the mag follower does not exert much pressure to push the slide release up to engage the slide.

Yes, the slide release is hard to release once the slide is locked back, but it only takes a small amount of pressure to keep it from engaging as the mag follower does not exert much pressure to push the slide release up to engage the slide.

Exactly what he said. I found my grip was barely touching it some shots and on those the follower pushing up movement was being fought by 'me' and the stop.