Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Broken aftermkt connector

kevin c

Just an FYI:

Symptoms: from the normal forward trigger position when the gun has been cycled, pulling the trigger has an intermittent malfunction where the trigger moves to the rear with a slipping sensation but without sear release. The trigger remains to the rear. There is no increase in trigger weight; if anything, the trigger feels light. Reracking the slide may or may not reset the trigger and allow firing. The ejected round will have no striker mark.

Cause (In my particular case): broken aftermarket connector.

When pulling the gun apart, I first suspected a broken trigger return spring, but that was fine. It wasn't until I took out the aftermarket connector, which had maybe 30-40 thousand rounds on it, that I saw that it had cracked, and, when flexed in my fingers, then broke in two.

Edited by kevin c

+ 1 on brand. I have seen alot of problems with the schere brand

Can you elaborate on the problems?

I have three Scherer connectors.

The first one in my G19 with 15k rounds on it.

The second one in my G17 with 14k on it.

The third in my G34 with 900 rounds on it.

All of these connectors have THOUSANDS of dry fire pulls on them.

To the OP. I have experienced this issue too with the ghost rocket connectors, namely the 3.5 and the 5.0 tactical. They werent "broken" per say but the angle of the dangle between the connector and the trigger housing was apparently "off".

Sorry not to have gotten back to this thread.

IIRC, it was the lone wolf version, with the long leg of the connector spring narrowed with squared cuts on both sides. The break happened level with the base of the cut on the end that fits into the housing.

I think that is great longevity. It's a spring and shouldn't be expected to last forever. If you give your pistol to a Glock factory gunsmith at a match, my experience is they tend to replace just about all the guts. It wouldn't hurt to come up with a maintenance schedule to change out parts that are not OEM.

Ha, well I just had a similar malfunction. This time it was the trigger return spring, a stock one that came out of my spares, so it definitely didn't have significant mileage on it.

I think that is great longevity. It's a spring and shouldn't be expected to last forever. If you give your pistol to a Glock factory gunsmith at a match, my experience is they tend to replace just about all the guts. It wouldn't hurt to come up with a maintenance schedule to change out parts that are not OEM.

Huh?, only 30-40 thousand rounds....

I suppose the OEM parts in factory configuration can last a long time, but one shouldn't assume the 120K round lifespan that some folks report. And I guess I was just expecting a leaf type spring to last longer than it did.

Edited by kevin c

I have had great luck with scherer connectors. I had an issue with a zev connector which got really really REALLY gritty after about 3000 rounds.

I had a similar issue once: The connector was bent too close to a 90 degree angle. I fixed it by bending it to a 103 away from the trigger group housing. That fixed the problems.

Having 30-40 k on a gun, smll things like that are bound to happen. Pop in a new connector and go back to blasting!

• 7 months later...

Yesterday I was the first shooter on the first stage at our local USPSA match. I fired one round then the trigger wouldn't reset. At the range I couldn't find anything wrong. Today when I pressed out the connector it fell out in two pieces. I have been using this connector for five years in my Glock 35. The connector is stamped LWD. I sent e-mail to Lone Wolf along with a picture.

The only other part I've broken is the Slide Stop Lever spring (at the match of course). That's not a fun experience. Fire a round and the slide locks back. Tap, rack, fire and the slide locks back again. The second time this happened (at a match of course) I was ready and used my thumb to hold down the Slide Stop Lever. That wasn't completely satisfactory, but I did finish the stage. Now I routinely replace the spring before a big match. Guess I need to add the connector to my list of parts to replace.