Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is there any harm in swapping a bolt carrier only between rifles?

Vespid_Wasp

I know that a bolt should generally be 'married' to a barrel as the surfaces will wear in together and swapping bolts around could in theory lead to a headspace problem.

Is there any detriment to swapping a carrier between uppers? Specifically... I have a JP LMOS carrier and adj gas block on one upper. Can I use the same carrier (but not the same bolt) in another upper with no issues?

The JP LMOS system DOES shoot softer. With adj gas on both uppers, and using the same common lower, I'd like to avoid buying another carrier if I don't have to.

If anyone is wondering... "Why"? I have an optics upper and an irons upper. I realize that with the rest of the cost sunk into an upper... what is one more carrier... But at the same time I don't want to spend money needlessly. I don't think I can wear out a carrier.

Anyone?

Edited by Vespid_Wasp

I agree. Carrier only is not a problem. But it only saves you about $200. You would have take the botl out which means cam, firing pin, cotter pin and such.

It sounds like a pain to me.

Yes but my wife has been very understanding about all the goodies I have bought lately. I will probably put off another carrier for a little while at least.

Thanks everyone for weighing in. I do appreciate it.

I agree. Carrier only is not a problem. But it only saves you about $200. You would have take the botl out which means cam, firing pin, cotter pin and such.

Yes but my wife has been very understanding about all the goodies I have bought lately. I will probably put off another carrier for a little while at least.

First mistake is tellin her what you spend on toys. :roflol:

No first mistake was getting married.

Haha just kidding. But im not married and as long as I have enough to eat top ramen I am ok.

Edited by Mr Player

She doesn't know.... exactly. :ph34r:

Haha just kidding. But im not married and as long as I have enough to eat top ramen I am ok.

She gave me a shooting buddy. :cheers:

299899_10100765910685778_13711242_62451528_971432854_n.jpg

?

Would I be wrong if your thinking of a short upper for say,,, Atlanta?

Edited by Kent Grewe

?

Would I be wrong if your thinking of a short upper for say,,, Atlanta?

In this case it's an optics upper +optic but I have considered using my 16inch for Atlanta. I will probably still use my 20 with irons because of how well/softly it shoots. And familiarity... and the better trigger.

She gave me a shooting buddy. :cheers:

299899_10100765910685778_13711242_62451528_971432854_n.jpg

That's the real reason you don't have the money for two carries. "Shooting buddies"/kids are the most expensive things out there.

You have a great lookin kid there. Just wait til you have to start buying guns for them. 8-)

According to the experts (whoever they are) that little rascal will cost you about $170,000.00 over the next 17 yrs. Surely you can afford a measely $190.00 bucks for another bolt carrier. You know, in the grand scheme of things.

And a word of caution from a dad with a 14 yr old son who is the second most competitive guy I know. He WILL be kicking your butt at the range someday. I mean just look at that front site focus, thumb forward and perfect curl to his trigger finger. Not to mention his perfect GM expression with his mouth (Taran Butler's mouth looks just like that when he shoots, I've got the pictures)

According to the experts (whoever they are) that little rascal will cost you about $170,000.00 over the next 17 yrs. Surely you can afford a measely $190.00 bucks for another bolt carrier. You know, in the grand scheme of things.

And a word of caution from a dad with a 14 yr old son who is the second most competitive guy I know. He WILL be kicking your butt at the range someday. I mean just look at that front site focus, thumb forward and perfect curl to his trigger finger. Not to mention his perfect GM expression with his mouth (Taran Butler's mouth looks just like that when he shoots, I've got the pictures)

:roflol::cheers:

You can swap out bolts and/or carriers without worrying about headspace problems. AR's are not bolt guns. The barrel extension sets up your headspace. You're not going to get enough wear on the face of a bolt to make a difference.

Darren

Maybe not headspace problems, but the bolt will be seeing a new barrel extension and this will change the wear pattern on the bolt locking lugs and perhaps give shorter bolt life...

Mick

You can swap out bolts and/or carriers without worrying about headspace problems. AR's are not bolt guns. The barrel extension sets up your headspace. You're not going to get enough wear on the face of a bolt to make a difference.

Darren