Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer strike inconsistency

rich636

Hi all,

First time caller long time listener. After reading every post I could find on S&W springs, I've been trying out different spring combinations in my 686-6. I really like the feel of the Wolff Type 2 reduced power spring, but when I test it on primed cases I get inconsistent primer impacts. They all ignited but some look like they were border line. I know some people will say to stick with factory springs but I feel like I'm close to getting this working and it feels great. These primers are CCI so I figure if I can get the gun to work reliably with these then I'm out of the woods. They were hand seated using the RCBS priming hand tool. Cases are mixed but there is inconsistency between two matched cases (federal). Hammer on the gun is bobbed, and all appropriate inner workings have been stoned/polished according to a Patrick Sweeney reference book. I've ordered an Apex Tactical competition firing pin to hopefully add a bit more punch. I just can't figure out why a spring would hit hard then soft. Putting the stock spring in is 100% but I've tasted the forbidden fruit and it tastes good.

Thanks!

Rich

post-37376-0-08996700-1329262980_thumb.j

"These primers are CCI" This is your problem as CCI are much harder to detonate with a revolver than Federal.

Get Federal Primers and do nothing else to your gun as they will fire off 100%!

Thanks Bill. I was hoping to have my cake and eat it too, but I'll go with the Federal Primers if that's what it will take.

Doesn't look good with the differences. Can you actually feel, or sense, a lighter hammer fall?

If you can try putting a scale on the hammer and see.

Try a couple of batches with sorted cases and try to id the chambers to see if it's the same hole that's doing it.

Are you using moonclips? Could be bent, try without.

Fed Primers will probably help but if you're actually getting that much difference in the hammer fall it will probably show up at the worst time and cause a problem at a match.

I can't say I noticed any strikes feel different than others. No moon clips involved. I don't believe it's the chambers because all strikes are identical with the factory spring. I'm curious if those CCI primers were lightly cratered because the pin struck the anvil dead center vs hitting a bit off the anvil on some allowing for less resistance and a bigger crater. Whereas the stock spring just smashes the crap out of the cup wherever it strikes. I've got some federal primer on the way and I'll post when I test them. One other thing is that I didn't clean the crud out of the primer pockets before seating the primers on the cases in the picture. It's possible some pockets were cleaner than others. Thanks for the input.

Rich

The easiest fix would be to take it to a competent gunsmith. :^)

If that's not possible, make sure the hammer isn't hitting or rubbing on the frame when it falls.

Make sure the hammer isn't hitting the rebound block when it falls.

Make sure the mainspring stirrup isn't binding in it's travel.

Make sure you don't have too much slop in the cylinder front to rear travel.

Make sure the firing pin return spring is not bent or non-helical.

In short, make sure everything is right, with all internal edges deburred...then get some Federal primers. :^)

The easiest fix would be to take it to a competent gunsmith. :^)

If that's not possible, make sure the hammer isn't hitting or rubbing on the frame when it falls.

Make sure the hammer isn't hitting the rebound block when it falls.

Make sure the mainspring stirrup isn't binding in it's travel.

Make sure you don't have too much slop in the cylinder front to rear travel.

Make sure the firing pin return spring is not bent or non-helical.

In short, make sure everything is right, with all internal edges deburred...then get some Federal primers. :^)

Thanks for the input. I will check all of the above. Tomorrow I can test some federal primers. I know a competent gunsmith would be the easy fix but I enjoy troubleshooting mechanical things as much as I enjoy shooting.

Update

Tested the same set up, 686 with Wolff Type 2 spring on Federal primers this time. 6 primed cases, all ignited, all impacts look identical (pic below). I'm not sure why the CCI's indented more or less among themselves but I'll just save those for my stock pistols. My Apex Tactical competition pin arrived but I think I'll set it aside for now and see how things work at the range.

Thanks again all

post-37376-0-31272700-1329515149_thumb.j

Edited by rich636

On that note which Apex pin did you get? The XP is worth it In my experience, but the comp is troublesome. Round point good. Pointy point seems to dish out the metal instead of getting the job done. Something else to note: ribbed mainsprings eat a few thousandths of strain screw....purchase a new strain screw and start over for best results....if you want to use CCI or have to. A band aid is to put a primer anvil on the end of the old screw. Federal primers are nice, but don't leave home without a spring setup that will shoot factory ammo as a backup. Finding out that your ammo is minor before that big match can be solved easily instead of having a clickety-bang bang.

Hi Forrest,

I got the pointy competition pin, although it's not in the gun at the moment. I just got back from an IDPA match, with the Wolf Type 2 spring and factory Federal "Champion" 158gr ammo. I had 3 failures to ignite out of 100rnds. I'm going to stay with the factory pin for now and put a shim between the strain screw and spring and see if it goes 100%.

Thanks

Rich

Edited by rich636

I got the pointy competition pin, although it's not in the gun at the moment. I just got back from an IDPA match, with the Wolf Type 2 spring and factory Federal "Champion" 158gr ammo.

Measure the length of the firing pin in your gun. If it's one of S&W's .485" pins you definitely want to replace it. Then you can start tuning mainspring tension.