Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XD Grip Safety

anachronism

I have a couple of XDs, which outside of one glaring issue are working well for me. The issue is that the grip safety locks the slide too, and this bothers me more as time goes on. It is not possible to rack the slide unless you have a firing grip on the gun. It might be okay for competition, but is totally unacceptable to me for a gun that could possibly be used for self-defense. Has anyone at least deactivated this portion of the grip safety? I normally don't mess with safety features, but I feel this is potentially disasterous, and will sell both guns if this modification isn't realistic.

I should have given a little more info. My match gun is a 9mm Tactical, my SD gun is a 9mm Sub, but I will sometimes use the Sub in a match to stay familiar with it. I've been aware of the slide lock issue for some time, but it's become much more important to me lately.

Why is it unacceptable for an SD firearm?

I am asking because in any scenario I can think of, to use a firearm in an SD situation, you need to have a grip on it that would push in the grip safety. The two main ones I can think of would be racking the slide one handed or shooting one handed.

I tried it. If your grips not right, the slide won't move. This is the only firearms design I've seen with this "feature".

Playing devils advocate here: on the flip side, if your grip is not right, you can not safely rack the slide or shoot either. If for instance you are trying to catch the rear sight on a table/belt/holster/pants to rack the slide "one handed" If you do not have a "good grip" to where the grip safety is depressed then you will not be able to rack the slide either.

I really am not seeing where this is an issue because, for safety reasons alone, if you are going to "manipulate the firearm" then you should be holding it correctly.

Seriously, explain to me why this is a "bad thing" so I can understand. In what situation would this be bad?

Rather than debating the issue as to whether in your opinion this is good, bad, indifferent or unnecessary, does anyone actually have an answer?

I'm also interested in whether it's possible.

Anything is possible. ;) I am sure you could "pin" it in place like some people do with a 1911 or you could wrap tape around it to keep it depressed.

The root issue still comes back to why is this a "bad thing" that there is a grip safety and that it will not allow the slide to work if it is not depressed?

Rather than debating the issue as to whether in your opinion this is good, bad, indifferent or unnecessary, does anyone actually have an answer?

Anything is possible. ;) I am sure you could "pin" it in place like some people do with a 1911 or you could wrap tape around it to keep it depressed.

The root issue still comes back to why is this a "bad thing" that there is a grip safety and that it will not allow the slide to work if it is not depressed?

The root issue is NOT "Why is this a bad thing", the root issue is deactivating the portion of the grip safety that locks the slide. Does anyone have any information on how to do this, not why.

The root issue is NOT "Why is this a bad thing", the root issue is deactivating the portion of the grip safety that locks the slide. Does anyone have any information on how to do this, not why.

Google "pinning the grip safety on a springfield XD" like I talked about above and you will find a lot of information on it.... I did answer your question... just apparently not in the manner you were expecting. :blink:

And with that, I am done with this as it seems people are getting worked up about it....

The grip safety doesn't lock up the slide, it prevents/allows the sear to move or not. If the sear can't drop out of the way the slide can't go back. Grip the gun correctly and you won't have any problems. There was a one armed man who used to rack his slide by just holding onto the slide and with a quick motion rack the slide, toss the gun up and grab the grip.

Rich

The grip safety doesn't lock up the slide, it prevents/allows the sear to move or not. If the sear can't drop out of the way the slide can't go back. Grip the gun correctly and you won't have any problems. There was a one armed man who used to rack his slide by just holding onto the slide and with a quick motion rack the slide, toss the gun up and grab the grip.

Rich

Thanks for the information Rich!

As Rich stated there is not a portion that can be deactivated just to keep the slide from locking back. You can either leave it alone or deactivate it. If you want to deactivate it one way to do so is to remove material from the under side of the sear to the point that the lever will not push it up anymore. I do not suggest you do this but you asked if it could be done.

As Rich stated there is not a portion that can be deactivated just to keep the slide from locking back. You can either leave it alone or deactivate it. If you want to deactivate it one way to do so is to remove material from the under side of the sear to the point that the lever will not push it up anymore. I do not suggest you do this but you asked if it could be done.

Again thanks for the information and not just a bunch of opinions/questions on why it should/shouldn't be done.