Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.22 Training question

KungFuNerd

This actually applies to Dryfire too...

With .22 do you try to shoot at (or close to) the Tempo you can do with your regular Caliber or do you shoot as fast as you can see the sights?

I've been doing a combination of the two.

I do some practice where I am pushing as fast as I can possibly go and then when I go back to realistic speeds it seems very slow (in a good way).

On the other hand, I catch myself rushing sometimes....

I'm a musician.

Should I try to get used to what my 'true capable speed" is and burn that in?

Or just more of a never shoot faster than you can see approach?

Thanks

KFN

As this sport is all about shooting as accurately as you can as fast as you can, I would train using the "throttle control" that you have available, which is your front sight. If you burn into your mind a "true natural speed", getting faster than that may become very difficult. If you shoot as fast as your front sight allows, it will not matter what tempo you shoot at, the shot will always break at the earliest possible moment.

Reading Steve Anderson's book or Ben Stoger's webpage, they suggest that .22 traing be done at a much greater difficulty than your normal caliber training would be. They will set up non falling steel at 25+ yards or go for the upper A zone on paper targets, etc.

I plan on buying a .22 to train with, but I will be mostly using it to work on movement and transition drills. Only one shot per target should take the reduced recoil out of the equation.

edited to correct Trademark infringement (part that is put on open gun that thumb rests to control recoil, a.k.a the pedal that controls the speed of your car).

Edited by Bunchies95

I agree with Bunchies

I have ponderd the same question.

shoot that sucker as fast as you can see, dont train yourself to hold back for some percieved time you think you shoot some other gun.

I have access to a 4 in. .22 plate rack. I use it for strong and weak hand practice also. 4 in plates are the most un-forgiving steel I have ever experienced!

I usually shoot the rack between 18-25 yards. My weak and strong hand are decent at the 20 yard mark but plummet when I get to the 25 yard mark. The margin of error goes way up at 25 yards.

My accuracy % has gone way up since I started using my .22 on the plate rack.

I think the .22 is a big contributor to my improved shooting.

• 2 weeks later...

Shoot the vision, make it hard.

NEVER consciously control your speed.

Make it very hard...

SA

Geez, so simple, so true. Great example of great advice from a GM. Now to really understand how simple, that's the trick I'm still learning.

Edited by Chris iliff

Shooting a 22 is a inexpensive way to practice but how do you transition from the 22 to your competion gun. With the 22 you don't get the effect of recoil.

I have 2 Open guns. One is a .22. I always end practice with the 9mm. Burn your drills in with the .22 then use the regular gun a couple times. Recoil is what it is. If my focus is the sight, recoil makes no difference. This is why you are pushing the target distance out pretty far with the .22. That way your focus on the sight will increase and your practice will benefit you.

Recoil shouldn't be practiced. I don't think it should even come into a shooters mind. When I use my .22 I really increase the target distance. This forces me to put my attention on the sights. This is where your attention should be with a .22 or a .45.

Edited by Chris iliff

• 3 weeks later...

I always end practice with the 9mm. Burn your drills in with the .22 then use the regular gun a couple times.

I used to do the same thing too but most of the time 9mm felt like canon in my hands after a good .22 practice.

And hits were horrible.

So I listened to Ben's advise and stopped finishing my practices with bigger calibers. .22 then sleep on it then back to 9mm.

And shoot your main caliber before the big match.

It worked very well for me

Edited by Magnus DUX

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah I get the canon feeling too. I always just concentrate on the sights and after a mag it goes away.

I do like the advice of sleeping on it. Saves hauling two guns to the range. And, if it works it works, that's the important thing. I'll give it a try myself.