Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I'm new and need help.

porchshop

I just received my Berry bullets and my WSF powder and primers today. The bullets are labeled "double struck". I have looked for a recipe online with no success.

My new shooting buddy told me that I should ask here for help.

I would appreciate any information or tips anyone could offer.

Thanks

David

Some additional information would really be helpful. What caliber? What weight bullet are you shooting? What firearm are you loading for? Major or Minor Power Factor?

With that information in mind searching this site will probably turn up a lot of results, but I'm sure plenty of people will be willing to help.

Some additional information would really be helpful. What caliber? What weight bullet are you shooting? What firearm are you loading for? Major or Minor Power Factor?

I don't use them, but it looks like he's asking about

9mm minor, using WSF powder and 124 gr Berry bullets

(can't use either for 9mm major).

Jack

I'm sorry I forgot to put 9mm. I thought 124rn in the title told that the bullet weight was 124g. I did do a search at the Winchester sight to see what information was available. I searched google. I haven't found specific information about Berry Bullets.

I am new as stated. I have never loaded a bullet. The guy that recommended I come to this sight for information recommended that I start with lead bullet information.

I'm loading for a Glock 17. I guess I am wanting to load minor. I had no idea there was such a classification.

I shoot the Steel Challenge, IDPA and GSSF, none of them particularly well.

I got the Federal Primers. Now I am finally trying to get setup to to load a few and I read on some of the information that I am not supposed to us the auto primer with Federal Primers.

I am a little less than confident right now.

I bought the Lee Classic Turret Press, the Lee Deluxe Die set, LEE PRO AUTO-DISK POWDER MEASURE and LEE LOAD MASTER SMALL PRIMER FEED

I have looked for a recipe online with no success.

Check out the Hodgdon web site. You can use their bare lead load data with Berry's bullets.

In the past, I have played around with the following load and had very good results. I used 4.6gr of WSF with your 124gr Berry's bullets at an OAL of 1.130" and a crimp of 0.378" will make Minor PF out of a Glock 17. This load has a very mild recoil impulse and it is very accurate.

I forgot to add... This is not the cleanest load I have ever tried but it is not as bad as some other powders (for example Bullseye).

Edited by Cy Soto

Yep, use the search suggested. FYI, Berry's are a plated bullet. They kind of fall in between the Jacketed and lead in terms of pressure for a given charge, but closer to lead. Some people beleive you can run them up at jacketed charge weights, others won't exceed max for lead charge weights, which is the more conservative approach I use.

In a Glock 17, Berry's 124 with about 4.6 grains of WSF should give you a PF of about 128 or so depending on all the various factors. I'd suggest you start with somewhere in the 4.3 to 4.4 range and load 5 rounds of each with 1/10 grain increemnts and test over a Chrono. Most guys want to be at least at 130 PF for your stated purposes. 4.7 grains of WSF is the listed max for lead and gives me a PF a bit over the 130.

I have looked for a recipe online with no success.

Check out the Hodgdon web site. You can use their bare lead load data with Berry's bullets.

In the past, I have played around with the following load and had very good results. I used 4.6gr of WSF with your 124gr Berry's bullets at an OAL of 1.130" and a crimp of 0.378" will make Minor PF out of a Glock 17. This load has a very mild recoil impulse and it is very accurate.

I forgot to add... This is not the cleanest load I have ever tried but it is not as bad as some other powders (for example Bullseye).

Thank you for your help. How do you feel about the Federal primers in the "primer" I bought? Is it particularly dangerous?

Yep, use the search suggested. FYI, Berry's are a plated bullet. They kind of fall in between the Jacketed and lead in terms of pressure for a given charge, but closer to lead. Some people beleive you can run them up at jacketed charge weights, others won't exceed max for lead charge weights, which is the more conservative approach I use.

In a Glock 17, Berry's 124 with about 4.6 grains of WSF should give you a PF of about 128 or so depending on all the various factors. I'd suggest you start with somewhere in the 4.3 to 4.4 range and load 5 rounds of each with 1/10 grain increemnts and test over a Chrono. Most guys want to be at least at 130 PF for your stated purposes. 4.7 grains of WSF is the listed max for lead and gives me a PF a bit over the 130.

Thanks for your reply too. I hadn't seen it before now.

With berrys bullets, the general recommendation is to use load data for lead bullets of a similar shape. I have used several thousand of the 124's with tightgroup and have been really pleased with them for IDPA use.

I load Berry's 124gn HBFP with Federal 100's and 4.5gn WSF. Very nice shooting load.

You are going to need to set your OAL. With the 124gn HBFP I am using 1.080". OAL varies by bullet profile and your barrel chamber so you will need to determine what is right for your setup.

I set up my dies last night. I was in the process of setting up the whole process. I settled in on 1.16 OAL.

The LEE LOAD MASTER SMALL PRIMER FEED has got me tripped up. I'm not even sure it will work with my turret press. The instructions show taking off the shell plate to install it. Of coarse I don't have a shell plate. I can't tell by reading the directions how it is mounted. It did say it is not to be used with Federal primers. I had watched a video of a guy that explained that the Lee Safety primer system is ok to use with Federal primers.

I think I will send back the LEE LOAD MASTER SMALL PRIMER FEED and order the Lee Safety Prime. I thought I might use my fingers to set some the primers in the cup in the interim.

I am trying to read the chart on the Lee Pro Auto-Disk Powder Measure to give that a go.

It is not making sense to me yet.

I settled in on 1.16 OAL.

I think I will send back the LEE LOAD MASTER SMALL PRIMER FEED and order the Lee Safety Prime.

I am trying to read the chart on the Lee Pro Auto-Disk Powder Measure to give that a go.

Porch, how did you "settle on 1.16" OAL?" Have you tried to load them into your

mag and into the chamber of your gun? (if you did, all is well - if not, you

should try that first).

I don't have a Lee loader (I use the Dillon SD) - but sounds like you might

try to find someone at your local club who loads on a Lee and get some help,

or contact Lee directly (or local gunshop) to get some help before you go too

much further.

Loading a few primers with fingers is okay as a test, but you could cause

the primers to become inert from the salts/acids on your fingers.

Good luck with it.

Jack

I settled in on 1.16 OAL.

I think I will send back the LEE LOAD MASTER SMALL PRIMER FEED and order the Lee Safety Prime.

Porch, how did you "settle on 1.16" OAL?" Have you tried to load them into your

mag and into the chamber of your gun? (if you did, all is well - if not, you

should try that first).

I don't have a Lee loader (I use the Dillon SD) - but sounds like you might

try to find someone at your local club who loads on a Lee and get some help,

or contact Lee directly (or local gunshop) to get some help before you go too

much further.

Loading a few primers with fingers is okay as a test, but you could cause

the primers to become inert from the salts/acids on your fingers.

Good luck with it.

Jack

I couldn't agree more. Find someone locally to help. Hands on help is always best when starting out reloading. It can save you a ton of trial and error (sometimes both costly and painful) and get you on the right track quickly. I would definitely check the OAL in your particular chamber and mags. Glock mags can handle 1.16 but some chambers don't like feeding them. Remember load small batches test and document EVERYTHING. Reloading is a great way to learn more and help improve your shooting. Best of luck.

I Have been following this thread, I too am new to cartridge loading (I have loaded shotgun for years). i'm loading the same bullet with WSF. The Hogdon website has their COL for a 124gr bullet at 1.169, but i hesitate because my Lyman book has 1.075 (for a 125gr HP) and i read many post of people loading much shorter that what Hogdon has. I typically shoot WWB thru my XDm 3.8 compact, as i measure that bullet it come's in at 1.158 (on average). I ran up some dummy rnd's and 1.169 was to long for my mag, i worked 3 of them to 1.161 which loaded well in my mag, fit well in my barrel (and my case gauge) and is what i was going to start with. So my question is what am i missing that i see many shorter OAL's. Don't mean to pirate the post, but it seemed a logical question that may help me and the OP.

thx

Edited by Velvett

OAL depends on Your mags, Your gun & the specific bullet

you select.

Change bullets, and you might have to change OAL - depends

on the shape of the bullet, not just the weight.

Jack

Amen to everything Jack said above. I can only add that OAL will also have an effect on your pistol's accuracy with that particular load.

I've used both Berry's 115 and 147gr rn bullets, however over W231 powder. You'll have to do the research and work up your loads yourself in regards to what powder you're using, however as far as length is concerned, I found 1.135 to be perfect for my Glocks 17, 19, 26, 34, 34 LWD barrel, and finally in an M&P 9.

Glocks typically require loads to be loaded slightly shorter than other guns, but only because of the magazines, not your chamber. You'll often times see the 1.169 length listed as a maximum length and many will tell you to load as long as possible to fit into your specific gun. Just make sure whatever length YOU pick, that you test it in your magazines as well.

As suggested earlier do a search, you'll find LOTS of good information.

Edited by Mike_P

Were talking about loading lead bullets for a glock if I read the 1st post right . So correct me if I am wrong but the owners manual tells us them guns don't like lead . If u going to do it better keep that thing clean . Like I said I am not sure on this I just don't want to see some one mess up . Can any one confirm this

Jason

Edited by Hamm

Were talking about loading lead bullets for a glock if I read the 1st post right . So correct me if I am wrong but the owners manual tells us them guns don't like lead . If u going to do it better keep that thing clean . Like I said I am not sure on this I just don't want to see some one mess up . Can any one confirm this

Jason

The Glock manual warns against using any type of reloaded ammunition in their pistols. That is the standard "lawyer warning" that you'll find in all firearms manufacturer's manuals.

Berry's bullets are plated and, although softer than jacketed, they shouldn't leave any lead residue in the barrel's rifling. In any case, it been said time and time again that it is OK to shoot bare lead bullets in a Glock OEM barrel; you just have to make sure that you clean it often. That whole: Bare lead bullets + Glock barrel = KABOOM is an internet rumor that refuses to die.

Berry's bullets are plated and, although softer than jacketed, they shouldn't won't leave any lead residue in the barrel's rifling. In any case, it been said time and time again that it is OK to shoot bare lead bullets in a Glock OEM barrel; you just have to make sure that you clean it often. That whole: Bare lead bullets + Glock barrel = KABOOM is an internet rumor that refuses to die.

Fixed the one typo for you. All these years of being friends Cy and you never tell me I started an Internet rumor. :surprise:

Cy is right about the Berry's and lead though. They are actually better than FMJ which have a little lead exposed on the base.