Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who do you recommend for hosting?

I've got Verio and they suck @$$! I need at least 50mb and 10-20 whatever@mydomain.com POP email accounts. I'm paying $25/mo now. Could be a lot cheaper if I paid for a few years up-front ... glad I didn't. <_<

Thanks.

Hey Deuce,

I'm currently using 1and1.com

They have a $4.99/mo personal pkg that includes a domain name, email addies, 500mb space and free software! Can't beat their prices, anywhere! They will ask for the first 5 months, but heck, that's only $4 more than your monthly price :)

The link does reference my referral number, should you decide to use them please make sure you go through here to sign up!

Thanks!

I looked it over. $30/6mos and they'll reimburse any unused whenever you cancel. I'm pretty sure they're offering more space and transfers ... definately more emails (not that I need them). Only thing I'm giving up is .NET ... no need to pay another $15/mo just for my ballistic calculator which, I hope, I can rewrite ... actually, now that I think of it, that should be pretty simple to do with javascript.

I signed up online. I didn't see anything about referencing you ... but, I used your link to get there. :huh:

Just waitin' on my login info and I'll start movin' my stuff. I just hope the domain transfer goes smoothly ... that's my primary email account. :(

I'm takin' your word on all this ... so if it don't work out, I'll be lookin' for you! :ph34r:

;)

Never did receive the confirmation email. <_<

Called 'em and d!cked around today. They can send email to my hosted account (which I do not want to use for that as that's what I'm trying to switch and I believe is generally a bad idea). But, they can't send it to my ISP email account. It don't bounce back to 'em. It don't get quarantined. It don't get to me. It just don't.

So, now I'm faxing (that's the only way, I guess) a request to have my email account switched so I can logon to cancel my account ... 'cause they can't do it over the phone. <_<

Too good a deal for me I guess. <_<

Any other suggestions? :(

You're making it too difficult! Use your current domain to sign up with - once you've got it transferred it'll go to the 1and1 account.

Also, it's not their fault your ISP is blocking - take it up with your ISP!

I'm sorry you're having trouble, I added two more accounts with them this week with ZERO problems.

For the price they are charging, you really should find a way to get it worked out. You won't find a better deal.

Shooter-grrl, I've been paying for commercial hosting since '95 ... I didn't think I was making it too difficult. ;)

Anyhow, FWIW, after I faxed my request to change my email, about an hour later, I "magically" received the email, to my ISP email account, specifying my password for my 1and1.com account. I checked the details of the email ... it somehow was sent at 8:00pm yesterday and I received it around 3:00pm yesterday ... about 2hrs after I clicked the "forgot my password" link.

Whatever. So, I just called their support line ... sat on hold for about 20min (no lie) and tried to explain everything that's happenned up 'til now. Basically, I just wanted to know how it was that I got this email 2hrs later and to find out if they changed my email. This guy couldn't tell me a thing ... honestly, I think he was stoned on something. BTW, about a half-hour ago, I clicked the "forgot your password" link again to see if the email was flowing smoothly yet ... no email yet. Also, FWIW, the stoner confided in me that they have been having a lot of trouble with the "sign-up" emails not reaching their customers. :unsure:

So, at least I've got my password (which, after a week of waiting for the confirmation email, I forgot that I actually set :rolleyes: ) so now I can logon to cancel my account.

Apparently their business is so good they don't have to concern themselves with little-old me. <_<

godaddy.com looks a little pricey for the space and traffic.

Oh well, back to the drawing board. :(

So I logged on to cancel my account ... as they won't let me do it over the phone.

Long and drawn-out. Finally, I had to print 2 forms ... one for the account, the other for the generic domain they assigned me ... and had to sign and date each one and fax them to them.

One thing, they intend to cancel my account as of September 23rd ... obviously intending to charge me for 3mos of service. Now, it woulda been one thing to charge me a non-refundable setup fee. But, there was no setup fee. I've never been able to use the product I purchased. Basically, they're trying to rip me off for a measly $15. So, I had to call my credit card co. and void my current card and have them issue me a new one. <_<

RUN AWAY!

Sorry Shooter-grrrl ... my experience wasn't nearly as positive as yours. :(

Just signed up for StartLogic.com ... the reviews look very good. Not as good a deal as 1and1 looked ... although, I'd've preferred to keep ASP.Net anyhow so it's about the same as 1and1's business package.

Got the confirmation email sent to my ISP account about 1min after clicking ok. :)

Had to sign-up for 3mo's at a higher price and pay a $15 setup fee so that bites ... but, in talking to them, they really sound like they know what they're doing.

I figured it was worth a shot ... money back in 30days anyhow.

We'll see how it goes. :huh:

I got all my stuff moved over last night and requested the DNS change ... looks like it took effect while I was shooting tonite. :)

Only two things I don't approve of:

1. I was sold on 500mb of space ... my control panel indicates I have 400mb

2. I was sold on anonymous ftp ... according to their own faq, my control panel does not allow me that option

I've sent trouble-tickets on both issues and have yet to hear back. However, I haven't had anonymous ftp since the late '90's and my previous host only afforded me 250mb of space ... so, I'm not overly worked up ... not yet anyhow. ;)

Otherwise, everything appears to work as advertised and without delay. One other neat option I haven't had since Unix hosting in the mid-90's is the ability to define userids with R/O or R/W access to particular sub-directories ... that allows me to set up a space for Mrs. Deuce to post pics of Deuce Jr. without trashing Deuce Sr.'s website. B)

I don't profess to be a great judge of web-hosting. However, in general, I would rate the sales and support staff ... over the phone ... as "B" ... the Control Panel as "A" ... the features as "B+" ... the price as "B" ... however, while some hosts aren't really offering much more, a few others are offering many gb's of space so I have to rate the disk space as "D" (for most personal websites, 400mb or 500mb is more than plenty).

My transition was extremely smooth and proceeded as I expected. Within a couple hours of providing my credit card number, I had an email which provided me a link to my control panel (which, in itself, allows me to create folders but ...) and my username and password and the new name servers. I simply used Internet Explorer to ftp://username@temporary_domain_name and VOILA I was able to copy-n-paste like a madman ... which I then proceeded to do ... copying all my stuff over from my old host. Upon completing that (ahead of what I anticipated), I went to register.com, clicked the "forgot my everything" link and got a link in my email (ISP email) which allowed me to simply delete the old name servers and specify the new name servers. Wait 24hrs and VOILA. The only other thing I had to mess with was that, for my email accounts, the username is actually the entire email address ... whereas, on the old host, it was just the name (before the @) ... and the pop3/smtp servers now must have "mail" in front ... all of 10sec to change that in Outlook Express.

Now we'll see how StartLogic stands the test of time. I think I'll go ahead and cancel my Verio account now ... despite the lack of experience, I'm pretty-well sure I'm, at least, as well off as I was ... and at $15/mo cheaper. If all he11 breaks loose, I'll just jump to something else ... looks like there's a few in the same neighborhood.

I provided all this info in case anyone else is thinking about new web-hosting. I don't care to debate if StartLogic is better than 1and1 or anyone else ... I've only reported my experience for the benefit of others ... I could really care less who makes more money and who misses out. Having said that, if you do decide to go with StartLogic, let me know ... I can get discounts for referring people ... as I'm sure anyone else does with just about any other hosting provider.

www.netfirms.com

is who I use as a hosting provider. Reliability went to hell in a handbasket this spring, but they seem to have upgraded their server, they've doubled the number of email boxes, bandwidth and storage space for my account for no extra charge, and now the reliability seems to be very good.

Warpspeed, at some point during my setup, it said something about how it was setting up my iPowerWeb account. :huh: Just one of those little things I happenned to notice ... not trying to say anything more than that. :unsure:

Verio sucks. They are on so many public and private blacklists for hosting spammers that they'll never get off. They only hurt their legitmate customers by hosting spammers.

Matt Burkett's BurkettOnline is a great web host. I've used them to host my Section's web site, and Matt was very helpful in setting it up and running it. Very reasonable rates too.

-David