Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NRA Tactical Police Competition, Medford Oregon

Finally got the arrangements made and the NRA posted to their website. The match will be held June 23rd in beautiful Southern Oregon. As far as I know, this is the only TPC match on the West Coast.

Medford is located 30 miles North of the California border. We're 5 hours drive south of Portland and 5 hours North of San Francisco (roughly).

More information from the NRA page. http://www.nrahq.org...pc/schedule.asp

Look forward to meeting and competing.

Gordon

• 2 weeks later...

Might be a fun match, but I don't see any information about registration. Also, are retired LEOs eligible?

Retired LEO are eligible with retired credentials. Registration opens about a month or more before the match date. If you keep checking the link you'll see the location highlighted. Then you are able to download and send the application. We should have plenty of room for everyone. When the date gets closer, I'll post information about host hotel etc.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I was planning to shoot this until I saw the NRA rules about sponsored shooters. I get some help from a couple companies so I'm not eligible to compete. Oh well.

You can still shoot invitational. I've shot several of these and had a good time.

2.1.9 Manufacturer’s Representatives: Regardless of other category eligibility,

individuals who are members of a manufacturers’ shooting team, sales or product

representatives, or professional shooters, must fire in the Invitational category.

2.1.10 Invitational: At the discretion of the Match Director persons who do not meet TPC

eligibility requirements may be allowed to participate. These may include volunteer

match officials, match sponsors, and firearm industry representatives. Invitational

competitors are not eligible for awards, plaques or prizes. Recorded scores are

normally maintained and published separately from regular competitors.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am signed up and will be there! Any suggestions for a place for dinner?

You can't beat Antonio's in Eagle Point for Italian. Bring an appetite. It's about 3 miles North of White City (range location) on Hwy 62. There's an ok mexican place right next door. A little further North on Hwy 62 is El Caporal which is a hole in the wall Mexican place, but the food is awesome. Medford has an Olive Garden, Outback Etc.

Gordon

These matches are very much designed as a fun/training type event; they discourage competitiveness.

I disagree, I think they are trying to design them to be competitive, but then they remove every way and means of being competitive.

I also have not been real impressed with the stage design.

Yeah Greg I thought of the Ironman when I ran out of shotgun ammo on stage 1. We will be hosting it again next year. As soon as we can finalize the date with the NRA guys, I'll post it. Nice to have met you and look forward to next year.

Take care, stay safe.

Gordon

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back from the annual APOA (Alaska Peace Officers Association) shoot in Fairbanks which is a pistol shoot. In the past they ran USPSA rules then last year some complained that it was not tactical enough so they used NRA tactical competition rules which is like IDPA with much more severe penalties. For example a C zone hit is 2 seconds, a D zone is 4 seconds and a miss is 10 seconds. Dropping a loaded mag is 10 seconds. I think some people thought that changing the rules would change the outcome of the match. But the same shooters did well it just changed how you shot a bit. By the same shooters I don't just mean myself. All they guys that generally come out in the top 5 or so were still there. Nothing really changed outside of just indivdiual performance differenes on the match day. They did change the way prizes were given out. In the past the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place shooters won guns this year they gave guns away by drawing only.

Disclaimer they did not follow the rules 100% for the NRA tactical. For example we were allowed to use what we use for duty no matter what and 4 of the shooters including myself use extended magazines on duty. I was prepared to use flush mags but my shooting partner asked about using his duty mags and we were told that was fine. I told my partner that perhaps we should just go with flush mags since I did not see anyone else with extended mags. He pointed out a shooter on an opposing team with extended mags. I would have been fine with flush mags but not if my competition could use their extended mags so we loaded up the mags we use on duty as did another shooter who was there. With the stage design it really did not matter much. The other thing that they did not do and I am glad was the rule about a shot touching two scoring zones is scored as the lesser value.

My overall impression of the NRA rules going into the match were negative and after shooting it despite winning I feel even more negative. Accuracy and speed are of equal value in real life. You will lose a gun fight if your slow or inaccurate. You can't miss fast enough to win but if you can't clear leather before you get hit by the bad guy your dead as well. In my opinion the rules were way too slanted towards accuracy. Which did not hurt me because I generally shoot accurate and I am struggling to increase my speed over the last few years. Basically accuracy came natural speed has been something I have to work at. The rules to this match in my opinion were no realistic at all. But I know thats just my opinion. The dropping the magazine rule was stupid as well especially with a 10 second penalty. I almost feel like writing a letter to the NRA with this feedback but I doubt it would make a difference. The main problem I see with these rules is that it encourages people to shoot slower than they should in real life.

One thing I have noticed when shooting with other cops is you always get a group of whinners who when they get beat complain that they lost because they were shooting tactical and the guys who won were gaming. The reality is you can not put tactics on a clock in a compeition it does not work. Shooting competition is what sparring is to street fighting. There are things you can not do in sparing because its unsafe to your partner however you still learn and hone valuable skills in sparring that help you in a street fight. Same thing for competition shooter. Shooting fast and accurate with good weapon manipulations will carry over into real life. Just my thoughts on the NRA's rule set.

APOAtrophies.jpg

Me (Alaskapopo)

Stage 1

Stage 2

Alaskacop556

th_James2012APOAFairbanksNRAtacticalhandgunpolicematchstage2.jpg

th_James2012APOAFairbanksNRAtacticalhandgunpolicematchstage1.jpg

Edited by Alaskapopo