Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many rounds per minute is TOO many

Jeeper

Sometimes when I am out practicing my gun gets rather hot depending on what drills I am doing. For example a few bill drills in a row and that thing is fricking burning. So my question is: How many rounds per minute or how hot should you let your gun get? Or does it matter?

Very hot barrels do wear out faster than cool ones, but so long as you're learning something useful, consider them an educational expense :) I typically go paste or brass or setup a new drill if I've been doing a lot of multi-round blasting in a hurry.

When in doubt, take a break and tape targets or something like Shred suggested. It would also depend a little on when Cal. of gun you are talking about. A 38 Super will heat up faster than say a .45 since it is a hotter round.

After all these years, I should be calling my shots, of course, but too many holes makes it hard for me to learn how to do it. I also like to think a bit about what I've just done (after I've done it, of course), so, after a mag or two, I tape the targets and let the gun cool a bit. It might help a smidgen, if you're using an open race holster, to holster with the slide locked back while you're taping/reloading mags. Mebbe not a great idea if you shoot on a dusty range, though.

Not quite on point, but Wil Scheumann's website talks about barrel heating. Wil does a far better job of explaining this than I could ever do (and there is a link to his site on www.uspsa.com), but he compares the heating of a USPSA/IPSC gun's barrel to that of a sub machine gun. That kind of heat can be enough to cause anealing of the stainless steel used in many USPSA guns. The inside of the barrel is left anealed (and therefor more soft) once it cools. I took Wil's advice & stopped cleaning the barrel at all (though I brush the chamber area sometimes) since the inside surface is repeatedly heated/cooled. Accuracy is fine after 8,000 rounds through the latest KKM .40 barrel in use. Take a look. C.

I have been guilty of burning a few .11 splits. While I am taping I lock back the slide in my holster to allow more airflow and cooling. I have burnt out a barrel with AA7, real fast. Just use judgement but it is bad on a barrel to get it too hot.

I think I am on my 3rd barrel and WELL over 100K on the gun.

PS That's on a 38 Super Open. Don't worry as much about your stock gun but practice the same safeguards.

I'm with Shred on the "educational expense". Even shooting steel repetitvely, my gun gets pretty hot. I just don't care that much, however. After talking to Benny Hill, getting a new barrel re-fitted just isn't that much of an expense all things considered. There's just no point in dropping a couple grand on a gun if you're afraid to use it.

Carlos,

That was actually the article that got me thinkng about this heating issue. Whe shooting paper it usually isnt as much of a problem. The heat really shows up when shooting stationary steel. You can burn through rounds rather fast doing that.

i watched a man shoot an ar15, he put 10 30 round mags full through it FAST you could hear the oil sizzling in the gun. dont do that, or do it, depends on how bad you want a new barrel.

practice like you would shoot a fast march, let the gun cool, but really im with them on the educational expense. the barrel is quite cheap compared to the cost of the ammo.

some of the funny gun range things i have seen was the sizzling AR, a guy shooting a surplus mauser rifle without letting it cool, the stock turned to charcoal around the barrel, and i have put 100 rounds through my glock very fast. the gun was hot enough to soften the kydex holster enough to loosen it up(something i wanted anyway, but not why i shot the gun that much).

depending on what you shoot, the barrel will wear more or less.

jacketed bullets at high speed are tough, but these are pistols, they last many times longer than rifle barrels.

I dont think you can really hurt a limited or production gun barrel, short of 200000 rds/

What a great line to drawl at a newbie...

Hey, watcha got in the cooler?

My pistol - she got a 'mite hot there after doing a 40 shot Bill drill with a reload, 'an my holster started to melt, so I gotta ice her down... :lol: