Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wilson Combat SDS worth it for a beginner?

brent_strong

I've been planning to get my carry permit (HCP here in TN) for some time and have been shooting long-range target rifles every chance I get and thoroughly enjoying it. It's common here to buy a pistol to take the HCP class with and qualify on the range, so I have been starting to shop around locally. I'm mostly looking for 1911-style pistols and what really caught my eye is a local guy selling a Wilson Combat SDS in what appears to be perfect condition.

Am I crazy to want this for my HCP qualifying pistol, range/target shooting, possibly some local competitions, and for a long-term carry solution? Generally when I buy something, I prefer to buy something nice and keep it for a while, rather than buying 4 or 5 iterations of the same thing and losing money each time I step up. On the other hand, I'd rather not spend an extra $1000 just to say I have the coolest toy on the block.

What would a fair price be for a great condition Wilson Combat SDS with a spare set of grips, 5x7round mags and 1x8round mag?

Thanks!

It looks like Wilson doesn't make that model anymore but it's a 4" barrel, right?

If it is a 4", it will not be the best choice you could make for a target/competition pistol. 5" guns dominate Single Stack in USPSA and CDP in IDPA for a reason. A 4" gun will lose a lot of sight radius, and be a bit more difficult to control while shooting.

As a carry gun, you can't beat a 4" Wilson. My father carries one. I carry a 4" Kimber CDP Pro, and have been extremely happy with it. I've seen used Wilsons now and then, and while I've never seen the particular model you're mentioning used, I've yet to see a Wilson under $1800 on the used market. Since this was a slightly higher end model, you're probably looking at over $2000 used, possibly much over.

If it were me, I would not do it. Don't count the mags as a part of the equation - 7 round mags are not used typically in competition anyway. For that much money, you can buy TWO guns and get a spectacular competition gun as well as a very nice carry gun. Get an STI Trojan from Dawson, and something like an STI Lawman 4.0 or Dan Wesson Guardian for carry. Those two together will probably set you back about $2500. The 5" gun will be a better competition and range gun, and having a smaller gun for carry means you're still practicing the same system. I personally like a slightly lighter gun for carry, so my Kimber is an aluminum frame. It saves some weight, but it makes it more of a challenge to shoot, and certainly would not stand up to the rigors of competition that well.

Trying to pick a single gun to compete with as well as carry will guarantee a compromise. The gun will either be sub-optimal for carry, sub-optimal for competition, or sub-optimal for both. I understand competing with the same gun you carry for familiarity, but competition guns get beat. I prefer two similar guns setup differently for the different purposes. Mag well on the competition gun, and an ambi safey. Neither of which I prefer on my carry gun.

If you pushed me into the corner and told me I had to pick just one, it would be a 5" steel framed gun like a Wilson CQB, Baer Premier, Dan Wesson Valor, or Ed Brown Special Forces. But it would still end up being a compromise.

In terms of taking the qualifier for the HCP in TN, you can truly use any safe handgun you want. In my particular class, I saw more .22's than anything else. And depending on where you take it, you may have the option of renting a handgun to take the course.

Edited by 59Bassman

Before I got a Wilson, I thought that all of the high end 1911s shot pretty much the same. So I got a Les Baer Primier and was very happy for several years of SS competition. Eventually I came across a smokin deal on a Wilson CQB compact and picked one up for carry. I don't know what magic dust Wilson sprinkles on thier pistols, but my 4" Wilson will go toe to toe with my 5" Baer from point blank hammers out to 50yds. Baer, Brown, Wesson, Wilson are all great choices, but if you can find a used Wilson for $1800 or so, don't hessitate to snap it up. Just for point of reference, I paid $1600 for my like new, used CQB at a local gun store and felt like I got the deal of the decade.

Yes, buy the best pistol you can afford. You can "grow" into it.

It is stupid to buy cheap, fix/modify/enhance, then buy a better one later.

Invest once, practice lots.

The phrase it is cheaper to go first class, is really true. Buy excellence once and you will rarely be sorry.

For that price you can get 2 or 3 very good 1911's.

Wilson makes a great gun, but in my opinion when you start going over the $2500 mark on a 1911 it better have a good old fashion deep blue job, some extremely high end grips, and all those other special touches, beveled slides, with french borders, flat topped and serrated at 40lpi, etc

The SDS is nice, very nice, has the heavy duty weighted barrel bushing, but really other than that it is a 4inch barreled Commander sized 1911.

At that price you could get a nice carry 1911, and a nice competition/target shooting gun, and then have some $$ for ammo

Thanks for the responses! I definitely see where you're coming from, 59Bassman.

It is a 4" barrel and seems to be out of production. Looks like it retailed for around $3200-3400. Unfortunately, the guy is also asking for almost that much...seems way too high.

Will it be an amazing gun? No question! Could you get a Ranger 2 for carry and an Edge for competitive shooting for the same money? Well, yes you can! Personally, I would love to own a Wilson / NHC some day, but I decided to buy the Ranger 2 for carry and a Tactical for competition / house gun (I happen to prefer the .45 round, so the Tactical is for L10). Honestly, I've handled the high end 1911's and I really don't feel like I'm missing *much* when I pick up my Ranger right after. For close to $3k, you can have two SWEET guns, mags, pouches, etc. And while the Ranger 2 is a 4.15in barrel, it shoots and sights nicely out to 25 yards and I have a lot of fun with it at the range. Now the Tactical is just a silly amount of fun to shoot, but that's another thread.

Bassman pretty much nailed it, but I thought I would chime in. If you want to shoot single stack competitively, he's dead on. If you want to play in Limited, then you can get an Edge or Eagle AND your carry gun, and have lots and lots of fun. :cheers:

No need to run out and buy that type of gun just to get a carry permit. Find a friend with a gun you can use to get the permit than find a gun you like. My friend was in the same boat and I let him pick one of mine to use and quilify with a so he could take his time to find what he really wanted. I did need to show up with the gun on shooting day,but what are friends for if you can't help.