Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problems Indexing on dot

Brent D

Just a little background before my question. I have been shooting open for about 1 1/2 years and am classified as a C. I am shooting 9 major with a c-more side mounted. I'm sorry if this question may be elementary and has been covered in other threads, but I'm really having a personal struggle and need advice. I am having problems consistently not finding my dot on the draw as well as on quick transitions. I tanked a stage this weekend losing sight of my dot and freezing for about 2 second on a short move from a start position. I will say that I am dry firing, however not enough, and don't have this problem as much as I do in matches. I should also note that I am left eye dominant and a right hand shooter. Will more consistent dry fire be the key, or being cross eye dominant, are there also tactics I can add to dry fire to ensure more consistency?

One more note is that I do shoot with both eyes open, and try not to turn my head too much to the right, but instead move the gun until the dot is centered in my lens. Thanks so much for any advice

Edited by Brent D

When you dry fire, are you working on finding the dot after you moved or from odd positions? Not just from a static position

Great question, but unfortunately not enough. I just got Mike Seeklanders book and DVD's and am trying to get started on a consistent dry fire/live fire program. It is such a unbelievable struggle to be consistently practicing when my work takes so much time as well as spending quality family time with my wife and kids. I'm sure many shooters who want to get better can relate.

I am having problems consistently not finding my dot

Brent, besides dry fire, one technique that's helped is to

raise the muzzle slightly on the draw, and lower it to the

target - that frequently makes the dot pop into place.

Good luck,

Jack

Hey guys thanks so much for your responses. When the problem occurs for me, I general am losing the dot not necessarily above or below the lens, but will have to move the muzzle to the right to bring the dot in. I've been reading a bit about NPA in Brian's book and am wondering if my NPA is to the left of center. I truly think the obvious answer is consistent dry fire to be able to unconsciously bring the sight right to where my focus is on the A zone.

This has been covered many times. It is really very simple.

Trouble finding the dot is usually caused by an inconsistent grip. Go back to basics, and start by learning the grip that fits you, then work on achieving that grip with both hands every draw, and every reload.

work mikes dry fire exercises slowly and manage your grip and index points. The best thing about having a back ground in music is a guitar teacher once told me if is bad slow its worse fast. slow motion reps until its solid. Remember Practice does NOT make perfect it makes permanent. If your practicing something wrong over and over your permanently mapping the wrong result.

Slow motion practice allows you to learn the skill much faster because it builds a foundation from which to work from. imho

Concentrate on gripping the gun exactly the same every time, don't aim the dot bring the dot in to your field of vision allowing it to appear on the target. The advantage of the dot is not having to "aim" in the traditional sense. Where the is on the target is where the projectile should impact.

it works best for me with both eyes open. i pick a spot on the target and my index is always the same my focus never really shifts from the target i sort of just superimpose the dot on the target as if it were a laser of sorts.

again slow motion practice hitting the same points every time.

Edited by Mat Price

• 2 weeks later...

Im not an expert on this but my experience in finding the dot has never been told to or read by me.

If I focus (mentally and visually) on the target to index on, the dot automatically appears in my vision and on target.

If I focus on finding the dot, the dot usually is lost.

So its obvious to me, I let the target be my guide in indexing the dot on it, not the other way around. The dot just appears on the target.

But try doing it w/o a target and see the difference.

Im 2 mos. solid into the Open now w/ a glock platform. But I came from IPSC standard w/ a 1911/2011 for 6 yrs straight immediately prior and before that, 2 yrs in Prod and Std w/ glock pistols. The differences in these 2 platforms are great what more when fitted w/ a red dot, but w/ target focus, I have not experienced the hardship of dot-finding I usually hear or read from Open shooters.

Edited by BoyGlock