Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Videoing matches?

Floyd D. Barber

meh!

Er macht einen Donnerschlag aus einem Furz.

He is making a thunderclap out of a fart.

Or as we typically say in America, he is making a mountain out of a mole hill.

back on topic.... Floyd, our OP, was asking about video, well, the Cliff's notes version is that at some point your performance will plateau and it would be really handy to have a third person or tripod video your footwork getting into and out of positions/arrays.

meh!

Er macht einen Donnerschlag aus einem Furz.

He is making a thunderclap out of a fart.

Or as we typically say in America, he is making a mountain out of a mole hill.

back on topic.... Floyd, our OP, was asking about video, well, the Cliff's notes version is that at some point your performance will plateau and it would be really handy to have a third person or tripod video your footwork getting into and out of positions/arrays.

+1. Video is an amazing training tool. Use it whenever you can.

I find that a second person video is better than watching in the first person. I would rather watch my movements and other skills than just down the sights.

I would agree. I don't get a whole lot out of watching in first person.

What kind of camera are you using? I use a ContourHD 1080p mounted on a goggle strap. Several other fellow shooters use Contours with various mounting methods (on hearing protection, mounted to hat bills, etc.).

Video is essential for me. I can nit pick the heck out of my videos and look to make improvments. Getting into and out of positions for example. When you see it on video it's quite obvious. Is the gun up and ready to fire as soon as you have sights on target? If steel was your last target before moving, did you wait for a visual confirmation before moving? These types of things you may not remember while shooting the stage.

I have and still do ~30% of the time use both 1st person and 3rd person video. 1st person helps with grip, target-to-target transitions, and other gun focused aspects. 3rd person helps with stance, movment, presentaiton, other "big" motions. Not that I'm a good example (I'm not), my Vimeo page (link in signature) has some blended / synched videos that uses both.

better link: http://vimeo.com/user2117669/videos/sort:date

Edited by Rob Tompkins

I have videos of most of my National, Area 2, and WSSSC matches. I also have a bunch of other shooters in these matches.

I don't use the hat cam method, just someone shooting from the side.

It works well for me to see a M/GM shoot the stage and how I shoot it.

Matt Burkett said most GMs spend a lot of time on foot work. If there was one aspect that really showed why I was sooo slow, it was foot work. The only way I would have realized it was via the videoing of the match.

The other aspect was within a given array which targets were shot first and last.

I think Videos are a great tool.

After reading this thread, thinking that I too need to invest in a video camera! However, when I checked on the OP's camera they quoted me $12.75 for shipping. I don't think so!

My camera - ContourHD 1080p. $150 w/ free shipping. I originally got this for $220+shipping... oh how I hate paying to be one of the trendsetters :)

http://www.amazon.com/Contour-1300-ContourHD-Helmet-Camera/dp/B002QGSYZ4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1328736926&sr=8-2

The ContourRoam is a little pricier

http://www.amazon.com/ContourROAM-Hands-free-Camcorder-Newest-Model/dp/B005GLFSYQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328736926&sr=8-1

Before you buy, note that most of the "cool kids" are going with the GoPro camera.

If by "cool kids" you mean people who like wearing bricks on their heads...

LOL! I've been looking for the simile to describe people with GoPro's mounted on their hats and hearing protection. You've hit upon it. :lol: Thanks!

By "cool kids", I mean that it seems to be the popular choice. For example: In Limited division, all the "cool kids" are going with STI.