Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What to do with a 20" HBAR?

jdknotts1

20" HBAR from Bushmaster rifle

1:9 twist

Muzzle not threaded

<500rnds through it

I picked up this barrel for $20 from a friend at work. Figured what the hell. Question now is, what should I do with it? I'm currently using a LE 6920 and everyhting I'm reading says a 18-20" bbl with mid/rifle length gas system is what works best for 3gun. Ok then. Have the barrel, what should I do with it? Is it worth doing anything to?

I was debating on having it cut down to 18" and threaded for a muzzle break. Is this worth it? Should I leave it at 20"? Which ever one I decide to do, will I need to balance out the weight to the back end? Is this barrel too heavy to use for 3gun one way or the other? Is it feasible to have it fluted to cut down some of the weight?

I don't plan on spending much to get all this done. A friend of mine thats a smith will cut and thread it for $45.

If it were mine, I would send it to ADCO and have them turn it down to .750 and thread it. They will re finish it as well. Leave it 20". I also am back to a 20" for my 3 gun rifle. And I have several guns with carbine lowers, but my 20" game gun has a rifle stock (Magpul prs) that balances it nicely.

Edited by mpeltier

I have what is probably the same barrel. I left it at 20" and paid a gunsmith friend $20 to thread it for a comp. I too was worried about how heavy it is and considered having it turned down or fluted, but I was broke at the time so I left it as-is. It actually balances just fine and I don't even notice the weight when I shoot it. And it shoots darned good...

How much is it to turn down a barrel, cut it and thread it? I only wonder how cost effective all that gunsmithery would be since you can get a new bushmaaster gov't profile barrel from them for $215. You can get the entire assembly for $235. Just a thought. Check out their web page.

http://www.bushmaster.com/products.asp?cat=7

How much is it to turn down a barrel, cut it and thread it? I only wonder how cost effective all that gunsmithery would be since you can get a new bushmaaster gov't profile barrel from them for $215. You can get the entire assembly for $235. Just a thought. Check out their web page.

http://www.bushmaster.com/products.asp?cat=7

And the cost is my issue. I can get a JP match barrel for $300 or so bucks. I paid $20 for this one. Might invest up to $100 all together on this. But even then its a gamble. No clue how it will shoot.

Also, the weight issue. Not going to pay to have it turned or fluted. Thats why I'm wondering if I should have a couple inches cut off.

Matches have taken to putting in some really long targets and that is why 20" is back. Flashers won't flash at 450yds if there isn't enough wham. More velocity equals more wham. Get it threaded. Tell us what you think. I have wondered the same thing.

Would there be any problems associated with cutting a 20" barrel back to 16" to run the rifle length gas system?

I've heard of guys doing it. If I would have it cut down, it would probably only get cut down to 18".

I talked to my smith over the weekend and he said it would end up being about $150 to have it turned down. I can't see how it would be worth it honestly. I'm probably going to get it threaded and keep it at 20". If someone would really buy it for $150 I'd probably be up for that.