Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anybody use Montana Gold 147 grain 9mm?

doubleforte78

I used the 147 CMJ's in my CZ 85 Pre-B when I shot production. My load then was 3.3 grains of Solo 1000 at 1.143" That just made minor for me. Nice soft accurate load in my gun. It's often reported here that Solo 1000 varies quite a bit lot to lot so if you go that route be sure to chrono your loads. :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

yeah, I shoot the 147 grain Montana Golds in my 9mm Beretta for Limited minor.

don't hold me to this, but I think the OAL was in the 1.12 ballpark, using 3.8 grains of Titegroup.

I should really go check my records first, though.

I like the feel of the 147's, they don't seem as snappy as the 115 grain Winchester White Box, or some other 125 grain-ish loading.

FYI, if you call Montana Gold, you can buy less than case qtys. I did this a month ago, bought various 9mm in 100 pc qtys. You will pay more per bullet, but at least you don't have to buy a whole case to figure out if you want to go with a specific bullet.

I have been shooting the MG 147 in my M&P and they do just fine. I use WSF or Titegroup powder and would need to check my load data for the load specs but they produced a nice round.

I was seeing some guys using the MG 124 Hollow Point and they stated it was more accurate. I really do not want to make up a new load unless others have the same opinion.

Anyone care to comment on the 124gr vs. the 147?

Thanks

Mike

I've been debating this too...Right now I'm using Precision Delta 124gr FMJ and I've thought about switching to PD 147gr or MG 147gr CMJ's. I'm not sure it's worth the extra cost. I know each gun is different, but I'd be shooting these out of a 3" 1911. Can anyone comment? Using Win 231 if that matters. N320 is also too expensive. :roflol:

The season is starting real soon and I need to order some bullets soon! I just don't know what to do...would the 147's give more a push than a snap with my 3" barrel?

Right now my load is this:

PD 124gr FMJ

Mixed Brass

CCI #500 SPP

4.5gr Win 231

1.140" OAL

Edited by polizei1

would the 147's give more a push than a snap with my 3" barrel?

Polizeil, YES, the heavier bullets have more push than snap.

Some people prefer one or the other, and some don't see enough

of a difference to justify the cost.

Some guns are more accurate with heavier or lighter bullets -

my BHP is more accurate with 147's, but others say the lighter

bullets are better.

It's all very personal - have to try them to see which you prefer.

Can you try somebody's at your local range? Or buy a bag of 100

or 200 147's and try them?

Jack

It's been a while, but I did get the chance to shoot a few reloaded rounds during a match. I know it was 147gr MG CMJ's under VV N320. But honestly, I couldn't tell the difference in accuracy nor felt recoil between my PD 124gr FMJ's under Win 231.

I would certainly like to try more, but the price difference is hard to get over, I'm just not in a financial position right now to switch, unfortunately. I'm going to count myself lucky if I can actually shoot this year. I haven't shot in 4 months. :(

Edited by polizei1

it was 147gr MG CMJ's under VV N320. I couldn't tell the difference in accuracy nor felt recoil between my PD 124gr FMJ's under Win 231.

Polizeil, I think that answers your question right there.

If you don't see a difference, and you're trying to save money,

you might try 115's (they're even less expensive) - and stay

with WW231 - I like the WW231, too.

Buy in bulk if you can - MG has a case of 4,000 115's - for

a savings over buying them by the 100 or 1,000.

Good luck,

Jack

Thanks. I think I'm going to stick with 124gr for now until I can find some time/money to try 147's. I don't like 115's because in my 3" barrel they really make it snap and make it harder to control. Besides, I just shoot local level 1 matches to have fun, I'm a D-class shooter anyway, so I'm not too concerned. :) It's all about fun for me.