Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light Stikes

Rugster

I suppose this could go in the reloading forum or this one:

I bought an M&P about a month ago to toy around with. I loaded up some 9mm rounds (Federal SPP) and went to the range. When I was firing the gun, it ran flawlessly (200 rounds). I then handed it to my girlfriend to try, and she had 2 light strikes within the 50 rounds she put through it. I chalked it up to maybe the gun needed some break in and forgot about it. (primer depth looked good)

I recently installed an Apex Tactical competition trigger kit and it has been great. I went to the range yesterday and the gun ran flawlessly (probably 200 rounds). Then I handed it to my gf and she put about 20 through it and had a light primer stike. That got me thinking, maybe she is limp wristing and not coming all the way back to battery? She doesnt have any problems shooting her Beretta PX4 Storm subcompact or her EAA witness (both hammer fired)...

I'm a bit lost, I havent experienced any issues. What are the odds that she's just that unlucky?

Does it have a lighter recoil spring as well as the APEX striker spring? If it does have an 11 or 13lb recoil spring its probably due to her limp wristing it and the slide isn't coming completely forward post shot. Federal primers are soft and should ignite with the APEX competition striker spring. So I think she is running into a slightly out of battery issue due to limp wristing.

Hmm, it sounds like you have the same set up as I do. Stock recoil spring, with the Apex kit. I can run CCI primers in mine, but, if it is a match I feel is important, I'll use Federals, which is just pessimism, from my Glock days.

Have you pulled your striker assembly, and checked the tunnel that it goes in for debris?

Hmm, it sounds like you have the same set up as I do. Stock recoil spring, with the Apex kit. I can run CCI primers in mine, but, if it is a match I feel is important, I'll use Federals, which is just pessimism, from my Glock days.

Have you pulled your striker assembly, and checked the tunnel that it goes in for debris?

I'm using same kit with factory recoil spring and CCI 500 Primers with no problems yet. :cheers:

Recoil spring is stock. And I agree, Federals are absolutely the softest.

Tell me about the firing pin pencil test...I'm not aware of this.

Pencil test

1. Make sure you have an unloaded gun, and be in an area with NO ammo laying around.

2. Have a regular pencil (preferably unused, unsharpened), one end has that rubber eraser.

3. Muzzle up to the ceiling, prep the hammer, drop the pencil, rubber end first.

4. Squeeze the trigger, pen should be flying out clearing the barrel.

Now, the softest i had set-up which STILL igniting a federal primer is about 3 inches lift of the pen. Your gun should clear this test with flying colors.

Intermittent light strikes can be factored by different parts. Start with this. Check also your FP tunnel, give it with a good clean of q-tips and air duster.

What OAL are you loading to?

Did you case guage the brass?

Did you change out the stiker block plunger spring?

-1.130 OAL if memory serves me right

-No I did not case gauge the brass

-Yes I did change the plunger spring

Recoil spring is stock. And I agree, Federals are absolutely the softest.

Tell me about the firing pin pencil test...I'm not aware of this.

Pencil test

1. Make sure you have an unloaded gun, and be in an area with NO ammo laying around.

2. Have a regular pencil (preferably unused, unsharpened), one end has that rubber eraser.

3. Muzzle up to the ceiling, prep the hammer, drop the pencil, rubber end first.

4. Squeeze the trigger, pen should be flying out clearing the barrel.

Now, the softest i had set-up which STILL igniting a federal primer is about 3 inches lift of the pen. Your gun should clear this test with flying colors.

Intermittent light strikes can be factored by different parts. Start with this. Check also your FP tunnel, give it with a good clean of q-tips and air duster.

A regular pencil? I havent see one of those in years :roflol: I'll try this tonight, thanks!