Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

High primers/Binding shellplate

Got a 550B with about 2000 rds loaded on it, all .40 cal. The machine is rock solid. I have two issues I hope you can answer.

1. Using mostly Winchester but a few other mixed, cleaned, and lubed brass my CCI primers are seating about .005-.007 above flush on the casing. Is this normal? I have the shell plate adjusted as tight as I can so it indexes freely without it binding. I assume if I loosened it would still seat high or even higher. I was thinking of trying Rem primers which are a little softer, maybe they will go in a bit more or compress a little more.

2. When I adjust the shellplate bolt without anything in it and tighten the locking screw, I can get it to point where it will index freely 3/4 of the rotation then increasingly bind and then release. Almost as if something is crooked. I have put grease on the bolt head where it contacts the index star and a little oil on the ball/spring but that is it. Once I get to this point I will loosen it a bit more so it rotates freely all the way around then tighten down the lock again. For the most part it will move freely when loading but about 5 out of 100 times when there is a shell in each station it will bind again, as if the primer is dragging.

So it seems like one issue would be solved by tightening the bolt and the other by loosening it. Any thoughts?

Thanks

V

Do you have the right primer slider installed?

2. When I adjust the shellplate bolt without anything in it and tighten the locking screw, I can get it to point where it will index freely 3/4 of the rotation then increasingly bind and then release. Almost as if something is crooked. I have put grease on the bolt head where it contacts the index star and a little oil on the ball/spring but that is it. Once I get to this point I will loosen it a bit more so it rotates freely all the way around then tighten down the lock again. For the most part it will move freely when loading but about 5 out of 100 times when there is a shell in each station it will bind again, as if the primer is dragging.

So it seems like one issue would be solved by tightening the bolt and the other by loosening it. Any thoughts?

Thanks

V

Thats normal. Just shows you have it as tight as you can get it.

Edited by 98sr20ve

Try loosening the shellpate bolt while in the upward position handle down, tighten as tight as you can (allowing movement) and and raise the handle slowly,when you feel a drag or slight binding loosen slightly just enough for the handle to move down without dragging or binding. If you do this properly you should have no snapping of shellplate and free movement.

Try loosening the shellpate bolt while in the upward position handle down, tighten as tight as you can (allowing movement) and and raise the handle slowly,when you feel a drag or slight binding loosen slightly just enough for the handle to move down without dragging or binding. If you do this properly you should have no snapping of shellplate and free movement.

It's a 550.

It's a 550.

:roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

Can you post some photos? Are you SURE you don't have some crimped primer cases? There are some 40 cases out there that are crimped...

I'd be happy to post pics. What should I take pics of?

How do you know if cases are primer crimped? They all deprime and prime easily, some need a litte more force but nothing special. I deprime using a single stage press then tumble BTW.

V

Do you have the right primer slider installed?

I do have the small primer slider in there. I have never had a problem with primers loading in the slider or feeding crooked so I think it's set up pretty well. I used the info and tips from the site to get it set up. That part of the process works great. This has done this from day one and was wondering if there was a way to fix it. I have had a few light strikes that fired the second time but the more troublesome part is the indexer dragging. If you have any other thoughts I'd be happy to hear them.

V

Sorry about that, I guess I need to read more before adding comment, didn't read enough to realize it was the 550. I'm happy to see someone got something from it, at least some fun or humor.

cheers.gif

Can you post some photos? Are you SURE you don't have some crimped primer cases? There are some 40 cases out there that are crimped...

I'd be happy to post pics. What should I take pics of?

How do you know if cases are primer crimped? They all deprime and prime easily, some need a litte more force but nothing special. I deprime using a single stage press then tumble BTW.

V

Could it be that some media from the tumbler is getting into the mechanism? Just a thought on the binding problem.

Usually, I just tighten the shell plate down snug, then back it off about 1/4 turn and tighten the set-screw at that point.

Alan~^~

Is the primer punch tight? If it worked it's way loose then the primers won't be seated all the way. Is anything hitting the arm or mechanism when you push forward to prime the cases?

Is the primer punch tight? If it worked it's way loose then the primers won't be seated all the way. Is anything hitting the arm or mechanism when you push forward to prime the cases?

No media in the casing or the 550. I tumble with stainless media so I am careful with that. 1/4 turn is probably a lot more loose than I am running mine. I will try a bit looser. Thx

I will take a closer look at the punch too. It looked pretty good when I cleaned it at 2k but maybe it got out of whack.

One thing I did do was size a few cases without seating primers. The cases actually grew about .003 each so that would mean my primers are only out .002-.004 which may not be that bad. I shot 200 today and they all went bang.

V

I had the same thing happening. The "lite" strikes are because the primer is not fully seated. I changed from Winchester primers to Federal. They are softer and will seat easier. Also I found that if I kept the alan wrench in the shell plate bolt and held it. I could Get it just right. I tighten up the screw in the shaft that holds the bolt from tightening and try the indexing star. (You do know about this screw?) If it binds a bit I just back off on the main bolt just a little until it turns free. You need to tighten the shaft side screw fairly tight to keep the shell plate from tightening as you index the shell plate.