Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best trigger out of the box? (non single action)

dvc4you

Looking for a pistol for my wife for her to try and eventually carry. She likes 1911s but does not want to carry one. It should be a compact pistol around the size of a glock 19 (hates the glock trigger). She is looking for a nice trigger, light/short reset.

Any ideas?

Man good luck finding a small pistol with a descent trigger. I just bought one for my wife too. I ended up going with a S&W Bodyguard 380 mainly because the price was right. Very small, neat lazer thingy, and she isnt scared of it. The trigger in this thing is LONG and heavy. Being its purpose though I wouldnt touch the trigger. Its so funny when you pull the trigger on it. Pull, pull, pull, pull, oh there is the break. I have tried to set there and pull it with out moving it the least bit and I cant do it.

Here's what you do: take her to every gun shop you can, and have her handle every gun she can. She may well end up getting something that she loves that strangers on a gun forum didn't think to suggest. That's what we did with my girlfriend, and she ended up with a Browning Hi-Power. She really likes it. She's only recently decided that she wants to carry, so we haven't started hunting for a carry gun yet.

My first recommendation would be a CZ P01.

Alternately, XDM Compact with the Powder River Trigger installed.

CZ - out of the box trigger, come on

I don't know what is worse, the gritty trigger or the 12 pound pull

Since the OP is specifically asking about non-SAO guns, you do have a point, as the out-of-the-box DA on most CZs isn't great at all. But the CZ 75 was originally conceived as a SAO, and their out-of-the-box SA is generally pretty good - especially for a $500 pistol.

My EDC is a CZ 75 Compact (which I also shoot in IDPA ESP), and it's not had any trigger work done. While not as nice as my tweaked Shadow (or the original '78 CZ 75 I have), it's still way better than most box-stock guns. Again, though, this is talking SA, as it only gets shot in DA during dry-fire.