Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

shortening a dust cover

Paul-the new guy

The frame is easy, it's not hardened. Hacksaw it. Don't waste your time with the rotary tool and cut off wheel. Hacksaw zips right through it. I concur, send out your slide for a ball cut, then match the dust cover to it. Finish it with files. Since you're sending you slide out, might as well get it lightened. Bobby has a new mill that eager to make chips...

Maybe I will just cut it off and smooth it out with my rotary tool. ;-) as far as the slide is it cut with just one tool?

If you're going to do that to that custom Anglin, Brazos, Pruitt gun we all shot at Malabar a couple weeks ago. Please don't. Please... It's way to sweet as is. Please...

Maybe I will just cut it off and smooth it out with my rotary tool. ;-) as far as the slide is it cut with just one tool?

If you're going to do that to that custom Anglin, Brazos, Pruitt gun we all shot at Malabar a couple weeks ago. Please don't. Please... It's way to sweet as is. Please...

Its just a tool.... and I'm pretty handy. :roflol:

I decided I am not ready for open just yet but I just don't have the love for my limited gun. I keep throwing money at it hoping it will be what I want. It shoots awesome and the trigger is amazing and it looks fantastic but I just am not happy with it. I have a STI Trojan I bought used for a cool thousand and I LOVE it! So I am thinking if I shorten the dust cover and do some ball cuts on the slide wah lah I will love it like I love the Trojan

So I want to turn this:

IMAG0409.jpg

into ths:

IMAG0401.jpg

Ok. Well if you're set on it. It's personal preference and if you found a better way for yourself, godspeed. I've shot Johnathan's gun at a match with the short dust cover and ball cut. I didn't want to give it back to him after the match.

Another option that won't require a new finish -

Install a bushing barrel and put in a hollow or aluminum guide rod. It will take a lot of the weight out of the front. In addition, well in theory, it should speed up the slide and if you spring it right it will recover faster. Will probably have a bit more bite though. Whatever you decide, good luck. :cheers:

Until you go with steel grip, short dust cover and bushing barrel, it won't feel like the Trojan.

I'm in the same boat except my current 2011 is a 6". I love my SS and want my ltd gun to feel the same.

You can try to lighten the top end, then add a SS msh and SS magwell. That will add weight to the bottom and it should balance a lot more like thr Trojan.