Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Comps

TacticalReload

So I've been searching the forums and reading all the threads and I keep getting conflicting information on Glock comps. Some people say that Jager comps don't work and others say they are great. Some people are saying that KKM comps don't compare well to SJC... others are happy with them. Some people say that SJC comps won't run 9minor whereas their website says they will. I'm confused. The only thing that everyone seems to agree on is that Lone Wolf comps are poor.

So basically, if you were to rank SJC, KKM, Jager, and whoever else makes comps for Glocks, what order would you put them in?

As much as I'd like to just dump a lot of money into a 2011, I can't see doing it right now. Plus I use a Glock 35 for IDPA / production and a 24 for limited so I'm used to the platform and have the equipment already. Plus who knows if I'll even like open... so I'm trying to do this on the cheap. Ideally, I guess I could either buy a top-end to drop onto my 24's frame and go from there. Or better yet, I could build off the 35's slide, not have to buy another, and still have the option of going back to production... that means no slide mounted dot, though. It also means that I'd be going with .40 over 9. I reload so ammo selection isn't a problem... I just want a gun that shoots flat and makes major.

I know that there are plenty of previous threads touching on this same thing... apparently there are lots of folks who have tried to do what I'm trying to do. I apologize for the redundancy. For those who have already tried to do this same thing, any advice that you could give me would be appreciated... even if it's to just scrap the whole idea and keep shooting limited. <_<

As far as the comps go, I'd rank them in this order:

SJC

Carver

Jager

Everyone else

Carver is one you probably haven't heard of. They make a nice comp, but I only put them second because SJC makes an 11 port 9mm major comp. Carver's only has 10 ports. (Carver's website is selling an 11 port comp, but it is the SJC comp.)

That being said, I personally have a 10 port Carver comp on my Glock 22 with a Lone Wolf barrel and a Cmore STS dot. When I want to shoot Limited, I change the entire top end with a Lone Wolf G24 slide and barrel.

The setup has been good enough to get me from unclassified in Open in June of 2011 to a "B" classification in December.

As for whether you should just get a barrel & comp or get a top end for your existing gun, why not just get a used G17? A full slide with all of the internals is going to cost almost as much as a used G17 anyway, (about $325.) A threaded aftermarket barrel is about $125, and the comp is about $110. The red dot will cost you about another $200-$400 depending on what model you get. I recommend the Cmore STS from $400. It may be expensive, but the benefit is you can change the batter without removing it from the slide and disturbing your sight's "zero". Without the red dot, you're really just shooting Open with a compensated Production gun anyway. Oh yes, let's not forget about an open holster, (that thing isn't going to fit in a production rig.)

I know that sound like a lot of money, but hey, Open class is expensive! I just spent $2,200 one my friend's used backup 2011 guns in 9mm Major, and probably another $300-$400 on magazines, and other accessories. I'm going to be shooting that gun in Open this year, and hoping to get to "A". Then I have to try to save up some money this year to purchase a backup Open gun for myself, to the tune of about $2,500. (Did I mention that Open was expensive?)

Edited by Parallax3D

i just finished a open glock 35 project. i went with a kkm barrel and sjc comp. its not an sti or brazo but it wasn't nearly as expensive. notcounting the price of the gun(or mags, extensions, belt rig) im into it around a grand. I was on a budget while building mine. i just ordered the parts when i had the money and put it together when i had got everything i needed.

Thanks to everyone for the replies so far. I guess my hesitation was that I know I'm already making a big compromise by not going with a 2011 (or at least most 2011 people would say so!)... I didn't want to make too many other compromises to the point where I'm left with a marginally acceptable gun. However, it looks like others are happy with their choices.

So how flat do these setups shoot? I'm thinking 135gr would be the way to go in .40... does that dot move all over the place?

I do not have experience with the others, but I have two SJC comps on KKM barrels and they run like a top. For us that may be budget minded, it is tough to beat the price of buiding an open Glock. I love both of mine.

I am with Micah on this. I have a Jager and with major loads which it was intended it is very good for the price.

Any reason why the Jager comps don't have side ports? Does that matter?

Not sure, might want to ask Billy. They are a vendor on here.