Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loctite removal

dskinsler83

Heat. The numbers are from memory, so take with a grain of salt...... "normal" red holds to 300 degrees and there is a "High temp" version that holds to 450 degrees. Sometimes a heat gun is enough, but normally people reach for a torch. A hair dryer won't cut it. I suggest shielding the gun with aluminum foil. This helps prevent heat discoloration to the finish. U can localize heat transfer to a smaller point by heating another piece of meatal to high temp then holding to the part you want heated. This helps prevent damage to adjoining areas, but takes longer.

Good Luck

I used a cheap butane torch from harbor freight with a diffuse flame and a no touch thermometer to take temp readings occasionally. I heated mine up to 300ish to get a flash hider off. Take your time and be patient. :)

Make sure you have a vice or a second person and some heat-proof Gloves handy to hold the firearm and parts when it releases. You don't wanna hold something at that temp bare handed...and if you do, it won't be for long :)

Edited by Classic_jon

Good advice so far. Usually around 350 will do the job. The best way to tell when you're there is when you can smell the Loctite and/or you see a wisp of smoke rising up. It's best to unscrew it while it's still hot rather than wait till it cools.

It also helps to hit it hard to break it loose. If you use a long allen wrench and just lean on it you run the risk of rounding out the pocket in the screw or the corners of the wrench. It works best if you have a cordless drill and a straight piece of allen wrench. Put it in the drill, put it in reverse, and HIT IT.