Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson's new three dot sights

neilsco

I've been thinking about changing my sights and currently have STI Bomar style rear with a Dawson fiber optic front. I was considering the new Dawson three dot fiber optic sight but wanted to see if anybody has tried them and what they thought?

I've been thinking about changing my sights and currently have STI Bomar style front with a Dawson fiber optic front.

Wow. Is two front sights the new "hot ticket" in limited? :lol:

-Chet

I've been thinking about changing my sights and currently have STI Bomar style front with a Dawson fiber optic front. I was considering the new Dawson three dot fiber optic sight but wanted to see if anybody has tried them and what they thought?

I saw one on the week-end at a local IPSC match. I like the fiber on the front but personaly I find the 3 dots a bit busy...

That being said, the guy who shoots the pistol really likes the setup

Cheers

In general, 3 dots is a bit busy, or too much. Some sort of a dot on the front sight can help to peripherally keep track of the front sight while you are finding targets, especially on courses with close targets.

The danger in the dot though is that it trains you to rely on it all the time, even if the shot requires, or would be more efficiently accomplished with, plain, crisp, black sights. After years of experimenting with all types of sights in all sorts of conditions - especially in IPSC shooting where the gun/sights are almost constantly moving - I realized that nothing provides the mind with more quick, accurate info about where the gun is pointed than a good set of crisp, Patridge style sights.

be

The Dawson's are available without the fiber in the rear and without the fiber in the front. I have the fiber front and plain rear. Most of my shooting is done at a weekly steel match and when the sun goes down and the lights come on the fiber optic really helps me find my front sight against the mostly gray steel targets.

-ld

Im with all the other guys about 3 dots being tooo busy. I shot a friends XD pistol, it has the dawson 3 dot sights. hes got green and the rear, red in front. I thought it looked cool, but when it actually came down to shooting it fast, all i could see was a wad of dots. that was definitely not what i liked to see. i use the bomar rear with dawson front and i can shoot it amazingly fast and accurate. with the three dots, my speed didnt go down, but my A hits did..If i had his gun, i would take the fiber optics out of the rear and just shoot the front.

Eric G. uses three dots on his limited pistol.

If my memory is good, it's green on the front sight and red at the rear.

I asked him why this set up instead of a red front and green rear, he said he like it better.

Go figure !

;)

For some (like Grauffel) it might be easier on the close stuff to see three dots in a line. I, like others, find three dots distracting (particularly on night sights). That being said, looking at the Dawson sights, it looks like there's enough black there to make it relatively easy to use at longer distances, and if you can acclimate to shooting the three dots up close, then why not?

shot the gun again this weekend, like using a christmas tree for sights, confusing..

try to find a guy using them, try his gun before you buy, at 130 for a set, i would pass, im confused enough while shooting.