Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 Spl Plinking Load for Snubnose

DeerfieldCurly

I use a 148 DEWC seated flush with 2.0 gr bullseye.

Lee

Will that even punch a hole in the target at impact?

Do you have to lob them in?

I use 2.6 Bullseye W/ 148 HBWC, seated flush.

There is a lot less airspace in a DEWC than there is in a HB. That load makes 670 out of my snubnose.

Lee

There is a lot less airspace in a DEWC than there is in a HB. Lee

If they're both seated to the same oal, there's exactly the same "airspace" with a 148 DEWC as a 148 HBWC.

Curious, why is one called a hollow base?

Lee

Because it is a cavity.

Because both weigh the same, the displaced lead has to go somewhere when the cavity is created.

If they're both seated to the same oal, there's exactly the same "airspace" with a 148 DEWC as a 148 HBWC.

Lee

Because it is a cavity.

Because both weigh the same, the displaced lead has to go somewhere when the cavity is created.

I didn't mean to sound overly dense. Pressure is equal Force divided Area. Perhaps with a fixed volume of space and a common charge, the decreased surface area of the under side of a DEWC causes the pressure to act differently on the bullet. I am achieving velocities in most powders using the OAL of HBWC while loading DEWC but with only 80% the charge. There are not a whole lot of loads posted for DEWC and powders could have changed since the data i have was posted but that is mould I have and with free bullets it's hard to look elsewhere.

Lee

Edited by Mitch_Rapp.45

Lee

Because it is a cavity.

I didn't mean to sound overly dense. Pressure is equal Force divided Area. Perhaps with a fixed volume of space and a common charge, the decreased surface area of the under side of a DEWC causes the pressure to act differently on the bullet. I am achieving velocities in most powders using the OAL of HBWC while loading DEWC but with only 80% the charge. There are not a whole lot of loads posted for DEWC and powders could have changed since the data i have was posted but that is mould I have and with free bullets it's hard to look elsewhere.

Lee

I didn't mean to sound condescending. If I did, I apologize. It wasn't my intent.

Have you loaded a DEWC and a HBWC with the same charge at the same COL? If so, were there any difference in velocities?

I'm thinking that the HBWC would have a higher velocity as the thinner walls of the cavity would expand into the rifling easier, creating a tighter seal.

I have never seen HBWC for sale and cast way before I got into .38. Perhaps someone with more experience (and age) has come across when these bullets were the rave and has more insight to share. All I know is I remember thinking I would aim way low and chrono and the results were surprising enough I got a second chrono out to verify. I experienced something similar loading 10mm 135 NOS HP with 800-X. I started 2.5 gr below max load and was getting velocities 12% above max load. Turns out the 800-X recipe had changed since people had been loading these 1,600+fps loads and was making way more (and dangerous) velocity with the currently posted data. Results 255 PF and obviously not safe.

Lee

Edited by Mitch_Rapp.45

I have never seen HBWC for sale and cast way before I got into .38. Perhaps someone with more experience (and age) has come across when these bullets were the rave and has more insight to share. All I know is I remember thinking I would aim way low and chrono and the results were surprising enough I got a second chrono out to verify. I experienced something similar loading 10mm 135 NOS HP with 800-X. I started 2.5 gr below max load and was getting velocities 12% above max load. Turns out the 800-X recipe had changed since people had been loading these 1,600+fps loads and was making way more (and dangerous) velocity with the currently posted data. Results 255 PF and obviously not safe.

Lee

Here's a148gr HBWC.

148HBWC20knurl.jpg

Remington, Speer, Hornady all make a swaged 148 HBWC. The bullet design with it's soft alloy and deep hollow base, obdurates and seals at low pressure making it a very accurate low pressure, low velocity rd. Load them up and you can actually get bullet seperation sending the bullet "head" down the barrel and leaving the cylindrical "hollow base" in the barrel but this takes a considerable over pressure load. Berry makes a plated 148 HBWC that is harder and requires more pressure (and velocity) to get it to obdurate and function properly.

I've shot a bunch of the Remington HBWC's and they are VERY accurate in all my .38/.357's but they're definitely sub-minor loads.

Anyone have recommendations on a .38 Special load for plinking with a SW 642 Snubnose. All I want to do is punch holes in paper comfortably.

Two choices for light loads.

The 147 gr. LSWC with 2.7 gr Bullseye at ca 780 fps or a my personnal preference for a 158 grr. cast lead bullet with 2.8 gr. Trail Boss at ca 650 fps. Trail Boss produces some very mild loads with lead bullets and the Hodgdon website has lots of load data.