Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sight upgrade advice

KungFuNerd

I have a Gen 2 Glock 17 with worn out factory Nite Sights.

I'm READY for a narrower Front Sight (I'm accurate enough to notice now).

It currently Shoots POA elevation wise and Left (3" at 50').

The MUZZLE has to cover the Target and not the Sight.

I didn't want to change anything until my groups were consistent.

So now I need to drift or replace the rear.

I think I want a slightly shorter front.

I feel like I always have to hold higher than I want to.

I want to stay low profile (I use it for CCW too).

I am tempted to go to a Plain sight though FO would be my other option.

Ive already found large/wide FO sights and big dots to be distracting on other guns...

Is there a good reason to look at anything other than Dawson or Warren?

I don't know enough to have personal preferences yet.

Just know I want a narrower Front.

Should I experiment with just changing the front sight or am I better off just getting a set (Sevigny Carry for instance) and try it for a while?

I guess I am looking for a good 'normal' starting point.

THANKS,

KFN

If you are going to get sights, I recommend getting them as a set so that they are already calibrated for elevation together.

Also, have you read CHA-LEE's post from the previous week about Iron Sights? http://www.brianenos...dpost&p=1602832

Also if you like night sights and the 3 dot system, in my opinion Trijcon night sights are the best. I've got them on my G-26 for carry, and G-34 for competition. They seem to have the correct light bar ratios.

Edited by Skydiver

Just read CHA-LEE's Iron Sights thread.

Very helpful

THANKS!

I've decided to experiment before I get the Sevigny sights plus I would likely pay to have them installed.

I opened up the Rear Notch (it was about .138) and immediately liked it better.

Will try to get it to .150 like the Sevigny.

Filed it and touched up with a Blue Pen.

I will also make the Notch deeper.

That will allow more light, make the front sight appear taller and allow me to call shots that have bad sight alignment.

Then temporarily Black out the Rear Dots.

Then for $35 I ordered a .160 Tall .105 Wide FO Front from Dawson.

The Factory sight is .170 so the .160 won't bring it up a lot but will nudge it a bit (about 1" at 50')

My near vision isn't great so thought I should try an FO.

Then I drifted my Rear Sight right.

When I get the Sight installed and get to shoot it I will follow up.

It is VERY HELPFUL to understand why a certain feature works for some and not others

I have a Gen 2 Glock 17 with worn out factory Nite Sights.

I'm READY for a narrower Front Sight (I'm accurate enough to notice now).

It currently Shoots POA elevation wise and Left (3" at 50').

The MUZZLE has to cover the Target and not the Sight.

I didn't want to change anything until my groups were consistent.

So now I need to drift or replace the rear.

I think I want a slightly shorter front.

I feel like I always have to hold higher than I want to.

I want to stay low profile (I use it for CCW too).

I am tempted to go to a Plain sight though FO would be my other option.

Ive already found large/wide FO sights and big dots to be distracting on other guns...

Is there a good reason to look at anything other than Dawson or Warren?

I don't know enough to have personal preferences yet.

Just know I want a narrower Front.

Should I experiment with just changing the front sight or am I better off just getting a set (Sevigny Carry for instance) and try it for a while?

I guess I am looking for a good 'normal' starting point.

THANKS,

KFN

I have been down the sight path recently. After trying a few options for me 34 I just had a set of Sevigny sights put on and they are great. For me, they shoot at the top at 15 yards. If you are competition/target, I recommend the flat black back and serrated front.

I blacked out the Rear dots with paint tonight and again immediately liked the Sight picture better.

On the path....

I would like to see the Sevigny in person sometime.

The Sights are pretty tall but I'm guessing that having that tall front post gives a nice picture.

I don't want to have trouble dragging in holsters.

That happened to me on a 1911 with a tall Dawson FO Front

I love my Warren / Sevigny sights... Once you get them, just go to the range and figure impact a 10, 15, 20, 50 yards... Each gun is slightly different, and different people holding different guns might/can get different results.

Buy a sight pusher - well worth the $100.

Dawson's website has a great reference for sight heigth / P.O.I., but is relative to where your gun is already shooting. If you go with the Dawson set, I believe they will replace your front sight with the correct one if you need to adjust POA / POI . Call and talk to them and they will walk you through it.

So today....

I filed the Front Sight Shorter and Narrowed it a bit and blacked out the Front Dot.

Definitely like the narrower front along with the wider notch.

I'm so used to seeing the front dot....going to practice with the plain front and see if I get used to it.

Then when I get the new Dawson FO front I will have something to compare to.

Then after a few months I'll get the Sevigny :)

KungFuNerd,

I'm in the same situation. I played around with the factory sights and made some improvements but overall I really like the sights on my buddy's G34. He has the Sevigny Competition sights installed with the .215 front height.

I just ordered a set and hope to have them installed on my G34 this weekend (if they arrive today). FYI...Dave Dawson has a great youtube video on installing sights on a Glock pistol. I'm join to try it myself and ordered his tools he used in the video with my sights (tools = $6 + shipping).

I'm think of installing the Sevigny carry sights with the tritium dots on a G19 for CCW.

Have you looked at the Ameriglo GL2010Pro I-Dot. This is a single dot over a single dot night sight. I can get on target much faster than the three dot sights I have on my 1911. I have them on my Glock 26 and Glock 23. It is a trijicon dot made by Ameriglo.

I got the .160x.105 FO front from Dawson today.

Thankfully they give you a driver to do the install.

Installation was fairly easy.

Pulling out the old sight was scary....using a punch wasn't working so I masked off the slide and used padded vise grips.

NICE SIGHT PICTURE.

The FO Rod is very small and about as non distracting as it could possibly be.

My close vision isn't good so I think I am getting benefit from the FO plus the added light due to the narrow sight.

Dryfire is great...can see much smaller targets now as well as getting a quicker sight

Picture.

Will hopefully get to the range this week

I went with the Dawson adjustable rear and a 0.335" x 0.105 fiber optic front--I've been very happy with it. One thing to be aware of, though, is that many holsters will not play nice with such a tall front sight--When my Dawson sights arrived I switched my holster from a Fobus to a Sidearmor. In retrospect I'm glad I had a reason to buy the Sidearmor because it's a really nice holster...

Has anyone tried out the Defoor sight sets? They are setup with a 0.115" front and 0.150" rear notch which is the same ratio as the Sevigny/Warren sights. They also seem to be priced right (less than $30) and I'm looking to setup a Glock 17 (just like the OP, mine's also a Gen 2 with dead night sights). I normally shoot an M&P but want to have the Glock setup at least acceptably as a backup production gun and for any GSSF matches that might crop up near me.

Has anyone tried out the Defoor sight sets? They are setup with a 0.115" front and 0.150" rear notch which is the same ratio as the Sevigny/Warren sights. They also seem to be priced right (less than $30) and I'm looking to setup a Glock 17 (just like the OP, mine's also a Gen 2 with dead night sights). I normally shoot an M&P but want to have the Glock setup at least acceptably as a backup production gun and for any GSSF matches that might crop up near me.

I used a pair, good sight picture, but for me, I found that my second shots/splits are not as accurate. First shot and transitions no problem. For some reason, I don't pickup the shorter front sight well. I'm doing better with the taller front sight and deeper notch of the Sevigny sights.