Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MagTech SP primers any good?

Ssanders224

I am located down under and Magtech are the cheapest primers I can buy at about $35 per 1000 compared to $45-$50 per 1000 for CCI, Federal or Winchester. I have loaded approx 15 000 (on a 1050) and can honestly say that they are the only primers that I have ever purchased that have have a reasonable number (approx 7) of fails to ignite. I am still using them but only for practice. I also tried the small rifle primers but they were so hard that both my Infinity open guns had consistent light strikes despite heavy hammer springs.

I shot 7K of them with no issue.

That's pretty hard to argue with I gues lol. Still wondering about recipe or data difference though?

No discernable recipe or data difference. If there is a difference, the normal variation among loaded rounds hides it well,,,and negates it!

They sucked for me. (I've posted about them before, if you want to hit the search page)

I'd get 3 or so light strikes per local match in my Glock, with stock fire controls and new springs/etc. They would run fine in a buddy's 1911.

Mine were from a few years ago, it took me a while to burn through them at locals (no way I'd run them at a bigger match).

MagTech and Wolf primers are not as reliable in my guns as Federal and Winchester. My guns have rather light trigger. My SVs have extended firing pins but I still have had some problems with them lighting off. I will shoot up the ones that have been loaded in practice only.

I sold my supply of Mag Tech. I will pay extra for Federal primers.