Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Pro slide drops with new magazine

thebriarman

Just thought I'd throw this out there just in case anyone else has had this problem/issue... I've never had this happen with any Glocks, Sigs, 1911's, Walthers, Rugers, Colts, M&Ps I've ever owned or shot over the past 40 years.

When I got my new 5" M&P Pro 9mm a month ago, I took it to the range and started shooting. On the first magazine change, the slide "automatically" released and loaded a new round in the chamber. This really concerned me due to my extensive experience with semi-autos and having to rack them by hand or use the slide lock/release. The "problem" continued each mag change. I had also bought a new 4.5" M&P .45 at the same time and did not have a similar problem.

I called Smith and Wesson and was told that the pistol was designed originally for LE and was designed that way. Some of the pistols have this "problem" and some don't. I told him that was a pretty lame answer (some do and some don't). Nevertheless, he said they're happy to fix the problem if you send the pistol to them. Since this goes against 40 years of training on all manner of semi-auto pistols where I use the slide lock to release the slide or rack the slide to load the bullet, I will probably send it back so they can correct this for me.

It's very common and well discussed here on many threads. They told you correctly, Some do and some don't. I would not send it back for this as there is no telling what they will "fix" and how it will work then. I think the "we designed it for LE" is crap and I have never heard that before.

Mine did it regularly and for the record my Glock 34 did it as well. The problem with it is that it does not always happen and when you get in the habit of counting on it in competition it will fail you. The gun will either not do it or it will do it but not pick up a round which will cost you a lot of time.

Leave it alone.

I mostly agree with Sarge; this is a very common concern and has been beaten to death on the forums. Some owners hate it most love it. I think you will find the slide will drop or will not drop depending on how you insert the mag. Insert mag somewhat gently and the slide will not release whereas inserted briskly with more pressure to the rear and the slide will drop every time.

I practice using the auto-release and it has never failed me in competition. And the only time it has failed in practice is when I know the mechanics on my end were wrong. I'd be inclined to send my M&P back to S&W if it didn't auto release. :)

But it is purely personal preference. Shoot it as is for a while and if it still bugs you send it back to S&W.

Interesting. Yep my 5" Pro that I got about a month ago also drops reliably every mag insertion. Kinda freaked me out at first just cause I was used to the hard rack on a 1911. Anyway, I can see now that it will be a benefit in shooting matches for 3G or IDPA.

My M&P 9L does it pretty often. I really have to baby the mag in if I don't want it to do it.

Overall though its a physics problem. Some guns are a little more susceptible to it than others (ie, some will do it with lower insertion force), but drive the mag in hard enough and you can get almost any gun to auto-forward.

• 2 weeks later...