Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Match score used for classification

joseywales

I'm trying to put 2+2 together to understand how an entire match (for a division) gets marked as a classifier.

The scuttlebutt that I've heard is that there must be 3 GM's in the division for a match score to be used as a classifier for that division. (Though I can't seem to find it anywhere in the rules spelled out with the 3 GM's part...all I've been able to spot in the rulebook is "Your performance in larger matches and tournaments may also be used to help establish classification", p21 of 14th edition).

An example that made me wonder how this might work for Area 4 Production division for this year (which had 2 GM's in the field).

The 2004 Area 6 match fielded 2 GM's in Production division - and the match score was used as a classifer.

The 2004 Area 4 match fielded 2 GM's in Production division.

Looks like the GM criteria is the same in both matches, so I'm wondering if the Area 4 Production match score be used as a classifier?

Just wondering.

Posted this question to the MD of Area 4, we'll see how it turns out.

I've done several major matches, all of which I requested be used for classification purposes. Some were, some weren't, and I still don't understand everything I know about the criteria for using a match this way. Dave Thomas, dave@uspsa.org, would be your best resource on this question.

It's sorta, well, complicated. I know that doesn't help, but it's all I know. :blink:

Troy

first, there has to be at least 3 GM's in a division for that division to be turned in as a classification score.

second, the match director has to turn the scores in on a special form and pay the proper fess.

this is has been my experience.

lynn

• 4 weeks later...

Got a note back from USPSA HQ regarding my "match score as classifier" questions. Here's a synopsis of the response.

The scuttlebutt that I've heard is that there must be 3 GM's in the division for a match score to be used as a classifier for that division.

... the "three GM" standard is a policy guideline which is followed pretty carefully, but not exclusively.

Sometimes other considerations come into play.

The 2004 Area 6 match fielded 2 GM's in Production division - and the match score was used as a classifer.

... Area 6 match had the GM's you mention competing in Production as well as another shooter who is a GM in both Open and Limited. At the time of the A6 this shooter was unclassified in Production. Because we need match scores in Production, and because there were some *very* good Production shooters in the match, it was approved for use as a classifier.

A "sanctioned" match gets one classifer for the fee that goes to USPSA. A "tournament" level match gets two classifier stages for the fee that goes to USPSA.

That doesn't mean they have to use classifiers as stages...that is up to the match director(s).

Matt,

My thinking exactly. In addition to yourself, John Flentz, and Angus - there was Roger Sherman (GM in Open & Limited), and Brent Tyson (GM in Limited) in the production field. Looked comparable to A6. Guess we'll find out what Sedro turns out in the next update.

Yeah, this is the first year I can remember A4 actually having a classifier as a stage in quite some time. I know the previous 2 years didn't.

Actually, Matt, they did both years. Last year we shot Gauntlet II. I don't remember which one it was the year before.

Liota