Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Budget Scope with TR-24 reticle?

steviesterno

Hey all,

random question, but I thought I might be able to find the answer here if anywhere. Basically, I'm looking to build my 22 trainer rifle into an almost exact copy of my 3 gun rifle. I have it down with barrel length, tube, trigger, stock, etc, but right now I have a Trijicon TR 24 on my game gun and a DMS on the 22.

I'm wondering if there is a way to get a scope that has the same basic set up as the trijicon (green triangle and 1-4x) without spending a fortune and buying another trijicon. It doesn't have to be super duper quality, but I do shoot 22 only competition with this rifle so it has to at least hold zero. Probably would never need the tritium option, either.

Just wondering if you could point me in the right direction! I would buy a TR 24 if I could find one at a bargain price, but wanted to see if I could save some ammo money by going this route :cheers: .

This might sound funny, but why not put the TR-24 in a Larue Mount (or the like) that has a repeatable zero, and then just flip flop it. I assume you are not practicing the with the .22 out to beyond 200+ yards, so you could could just use hold-overs.

This might sound funny, but why not put the TR-24 in a Larue Mount (or the like) that has a repeatable zero, and then just flip flop it. I assume you are not practicing the with the .22 out to beyond 200+ yards, so you could could just use hold-overs.

I did that for a little while with my Meopta. Of course I had to readjust the scope, but it was really only that first time that it was an issue. Like 13 clicks of elevation and a couple windage… I took notes as I did it, it was easily repeatable/resettable to put back.

Really? There's nothing out there?

I use the TR24R on my game gun(s) and Trijicons ReflexII with triangle reticle on my 22LR trainer AR. Its half the price of a TR24, and to be honest magnification is unneccasary on a 22LR.

Hey all,

random question, but I thought I might be able to find the answer here if anywhere. Basically, I'm looking to build my 22 trainer rifle into an almost exact copy of my 3 gun rifle. I have it down with barrel length, tube, trigger, stock, etc, but right now I have a Trijicon TR 24 on my game gun and a DMS on the 22.

I'm wondering if there is a way to get a scope that has the same basic set up as the trijicon (green triangle and 1-4x) without spending a fortune and buying another trijicon. It doesn't have to be super duper quality, but I do shoot 22 only competition with this rifle so it has to at least hold zero. Probably would never need the tritium option, either.

Just wondering if you could point me in the right direction! I would buy a TR 24 if I could find one at a bargain price, but wanted to see if I could save some ammo money by going this route :cheers: .

Your best bet is a used TR21 1.25-4. That's the setup to give you 90% of what TR24 does. You can find one for about $450 or less.

I think I might have to look for the 21. The 22 matches we shoot here have 2" targets at 40-50 yards, so magnification is a big plus. I like the idea of a good mount, but i think maybe finding a used scope and not worrying about it might be the best bet... I was hoping there was something like the DMS (I see it as a less expensive tac 30) but i guess it's not out there.

Anyone have a good, cheap tr 21?

Not trying to dissuade You from a variable but 2" at 40-50 yds is not difficult at 1X and is very close sight picture to shooting a long range shot at 4X. We do the same thing and I did not like the Tr21 due to the 1.25 low end. On the rest of the closer shots you probably wont like it. If your doing this to get better with the centerfire gun, challenge yourself without magnification.

Not trying to dissuade You from a variable but 2" at 40-50 yds is not difficult at 1X and is very close sight picture to shooting a long range shot at 4X. We do the same thing and I did not like the Tr21 due to the 1.25 low end. On the rest of the closer shots you probably wont like it. If your doing this to get better with the centerfire gun, challenge yourself without magnification.

that's actually a good idea. I do have good vision, so at 40 yards it shouldn't be too bad. I do like the idea of magnification, but it probably doesn't outweigh the practice benefit of getting better. I like winning local 22 competitions, and with the magnification on a good scope, I feel like I'm cheating.

I might have to get one of those 1x reflex sights. where can I find a cheap one with the green chevron?