Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrel bullets or what

gunner40sw

I have a new pro nine and the gun is real accurate out to 15 yards but after that it is all over the place. I have fired it from a bench rest and had other people fire it also with the same results. I am using S&B 115 grain round nose. I have the Dawson adj sights on it. And it seems to be getting worse the more rounds I put through it instead of better.

I have a new pro nine and the gun is real accurate out to 15 yards but after that it is all over the place.

Gunner, what's the size of your groups at 15 & 25 yards?

I had similar problem & it helped to try different

weight bullets (147's were more accurate in my gun).

I'd try some other brands first...

Good

luck,

Jack

I had a similar issue with both S&B at anything over 15 yards as well as 115gr bullets in general with my M&P Pro 5". If I have to I use factory ammo I go with quality 124gr or the 124 gr NATO white box.

Get some 124gr or better yet some 147gr and see if that makes any difference. In readily available factory ammo you will probably only be able to find 124gr or 130gr. Finding 147gr bullets "off the shelf" is pretty uncommon.

Edited by Classic_jon

What kind of a group can i expect at 25 yards with the M&P pro 9. I am use to shooting my STIs but I joined this pistol league and bought the M&P for it.

You can expect 2" with the correct ammo ;)

In my M&P pro i have the same result, it's not possible to have a good group after 15 yards with the S&B.

With some amunition it's difficult to have a better group than 8" but with some others you can manage sub 2"

At the IPSC World shoot i have talked with Angus Hobdell (the CZ guys) about that and for him the problem is coming from a early unlocking of the Barrel !?

Marc

Im going to try some different ammo first. After that maybe a new storm lake barrel. Also maybe send it out to someone who specializes in M&P pistols. Cause at 25 yards im getting about an 8 to 10 inch group

I believe that is over S&W limits, may give them a call. Try top shelf ammo, if it still won't shoot better than 8" groups I'd call Smith and see if they'll "fix" it.

Smith will definitely take a look at it, I just shipped mine back on the 27th for the same problem and hopefully I'll get it back soon. I'm used to shooting 3" groups at 25 yards with my old P226, but have been getting 8"-10" with the M&P, and that's with all sorts of different ammo. I'm starting to look at the aftermarket barrels as well, but a friend of mine who was experiencing poor accuracy also ponied up for a KKM barrel and has reported no change in accuracy, which is discouraging. May have to wait on the Barsto barrel from Apex, unfortunately.

Merlin when you get it back Please Let me know if Smith and Wesson did anything to fix the problem. Thanks

Will do. I'm really hoping to get it back in the next week, but who knows what with the holidays and all.

Just thought I put new Dawson sights on the gun and I had to use a little locktite on the rear sight. Would that void any kind of warranty

I can't imagine that it would.

I called them, I find it's always easier to get the result you want when talking to someone rather than writing them.

It's been rainy and windy all day today, but I did get to run out to the range briefly when the sun broke through for a moment. Groups shrank to about half of what they were before, my best one today was a little over 4" at 22 yards. Not awesome, but good enough for me. This was with Remington UMC 115gr, which has always given me mediocre results. Maybe on a calmer day with some good ammo I could do a little better, but I'm content for the time being.

If anyone else is having accuracy issues with their M&P9, I would say give Smith a call and let them know, seems to have helped. I'll be putting in the Apex FSS kit and some new Ameriglo sights, so that might help as well.

Yeah, Smith sent me a prepaid Fedex label and then shipped it back Fedex Express. Inside the box was my M&P wrapped in some of their brown paper along with an invoice of sorts. It said they replaced the barrel, but nothing else. I noticed they also replaced the striker with the new silver one while they were at it, even though I didn't ask for it and they didn't mention it in the invoice. Don't know what was wrong with the old barrel, I'm assuming it was unlocking early but that's just a guess.

I have a new pro nine and the gun is real accurate out to 15 yards but after that it is all over the place. I have fired it from a bench rest and had other people fire it also with the same results. I am using S&B 115 grain round nose. I have the Dawson adj sights on it. And it seems to be getting worse the more rounds I put through it instead of better.

Get used to 3-4" groups at 25 yrds for the M&P. You ain't gonna get much better than that. I replaced the stock barrel with a Storm Lake barrel this Fall, and brought the size of the groups down maybe an inch. Hey, it's not a high end 1911. I can get 1.5" groups with my STI 1911, but I've just come to expect less from my M&P. I'm not sure that it has hurt me that much in matches. There really aren't that many targets out past 20 yards in most matches. And even so, I've not had too many problems getting zeros and ones (A's and B's).

Jeff

I need better than 4 inch groups because I use it in a Police pistol league and half of the match is shot at targets 25 yards away resulting in half of my score. I am sending the pistol back to Smith and Wesson next week to have them take a look at it. I was wondering if the performance center could hand fit a barrel for better groups if possible. Also I have heard some talk about Barsto bringing out a new barrel for that gun. I will see how it comes back from Smith and go from there.

I need better than 4 inch groups because I use it in a Police pistol league and half of the match is shot at targets 25 yards away resulting in half of my score. I am sending the pistol back to Smith and Wesson next week to have them take a look at it. I was wondering if the performance center could hand fit a barrel for better groups if possible. Also I have heard some talk about Barsto bringing out a new barrel for that gun. I will see how it comes back from Smith and go from there.

I spoke with Bar-Sto last week and was told that they will be machining the M&P barrels the first week of Feburary and they should be available mid Feburary.

I spoke with Bar-Sto last week and was told that they will be machining the M&P barrels the first week of Feburary and they should be available mid Feburary.

It's about time! :cheers: