Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best reloading manual...

G17fan

I am looking for a reloading manual as I am getting started with reloading. I have searched this forum and read posts about this... however alot of them are old and I know that these manuals get updated once in a while. So, here is what I am going to be reloading:

.45ACP

Cast 200grn

W231

CCI LP

once fired brass

I have read some manuals are better than others depending on what you are trying to accomplish.

Any feed back will be appreciated.

Derek.

There are two types of reloading manuals. One focuses on how to instructions and the other on "recipes". The later is pretty much useless these days as all the information can be had in a more up-to-date fashion on the internet. That leaves the issue of how-to. This is often very dated information as well and is, again, been pretty much supplanted by what can be found on the internet.

If you want a general overview of the reloading process then try "The ABC's of Reloading". You can find the current edition on Amazon or a used version at ABEBooks.

I have the latest addition of hornady and the Lyman 49. The fist few chapters of the hornady gives a great overview of reloading and teaches all the proper nomenclature of brass and how it expands ect., butt only referenced hornady bullets. The Lyman is good for everything else. I also look online at the bullet manufactures loadings suggestions as well. Especially Sierra 223 bullets.

I have the Lee manual and like it.

I agree with Graham about the internet having the most up to date information.

It sounds like you pretty much have it figured out what you are going to use so I don't think a manual will be that big of a help. Check the Hodgdon reloading site for info about Winchester powder. Most people play with the length to find what works best for their gun/application.

Hodgdon website

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Published loading manuals contains tested, SAFE data. You have to be very careful using Internet reloading recipes. Many were cooked up by God knows who, God knows where. Yes, information from the powder companies is reliable, but outside that realm be careful.

I started with the ABC's of Reloading, which is good to give one an overview of the process and to get started. I also have Speers, Sierra, Hornady, and Lyman's manuals. My 'go-to' manual seems to be the Sierra.

Also, I've found W231 to be way too hot for lead, causes a lot of leading in my Kimbers. WST for lead and moly/resin coated 200gr bullets works quite well. Good luck, and be safe.