Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

getting started in 3 gun, need some help

jsel10

Hey guys, new to the forum and look forward to hearing from you all.

Im looking to start shooting some 3 gun competition at a local club near my home and need some advice on my setup.

First, I will tell you what i have already. Then what im having trouble deciding on, and hopefully you can help me make a good decision.

My current setup consists of a smith&wesson m&p pro 9mm, and a Ruger mini 14. I know the mini isnt the ideal platform, but I love that gun and dont see a reason to purchase a new platform

unless i decide to go deeper then the club level, and feel that my skills have reached a point where it is holding my back.

My dilemma lies with the shotgun. I have a Remington 1100, however it was passed down to me from my father. It is in good condition, and im not

sure that i want to start modifying it and subjecting it to the tortures of 3 gun. I have a good amount of trigger time behind it and shoot it reasonably well for a beginner.

The gun is cleaned extensively after each use and has ran without a hitch.

I know that i want to purchase a new shotgun for competition and save the old 1100 for the occasional trap shoot with friends type of situation.

So my problem is: Which shotgun do I buy? I know that remington has the 1100 tac 4 model out and I really like it. However, it seems to be scrutinized alot for

reliabilaty issues. Is it really that bad to the point where it wont be competative or reliable at the club level? So do I purchase a gun that i know i like and shoot well; or do i live by the "buy once, cry once" philosopy and drop the extra money on a benelli, or FNH slp.

Look forward to hearing from you.

John

John,

Welcome aboard. Im my opinion, you should "buy once, cry once" - get a Benelli and be happy forever. I run an M2 with a 21" barrel and love it. I started 3-gun with a Rem 1100 Competition Master - it ran OK for about 2 years and then started choking in big matches. If I had it to do over again, I'd have gotten the M2 to start with.

Ive done a little reading on the 930. Seems like a good bargain on a decent gun. Ive also considered the cz712, ive always heard good things about there quality

and it seems like their utility version is almost ready to go right out of the box. The only reason im drawn to the Tac 4 is that i have a 1100 already and really like it. Also,

its been around forever and seems almost ready to go out of the box.

I understand the quality of the Benelli. However, for the same price I could have a cz712, or a 930, and be able to put a decent low power optic on the mini.

The next purchase goal will be a progressive reloader. I currently reload .223 and 9mm on a forester co-ax and its proving difficult to keep up with my

own demand with a single stage press. Id like to spend more time practicing and less time at the press. The point being that im trying to spend my money as efficiently

as possible and still have a setup thats fun to shoot and will be competitive.

SO MANY DECISIONS TO MAKE, AND SO MANY THINGS TO BUY WITH SO LITTLE MONEY! LOL

I will be making a trip to the gun store tomorrow to try and handle as many different models as possible. Hopefully this will narrow down my decision.

Am I on the right track here? Or will I be spending my money twice because of disapointment?

In all honesty before you buy anything,just go shoot what you have at a few local 3 Gun matches and ask questions/check stuff out.Most everyone I've ran into at a match is more then willing to let you check out their gear...

Consider your first couple matches a "scouting" trip as well as a learning experience..I did that my first 3 matches or so,and just asked a million questions and looked at all different kinds of setups.

I was in no way competitive my first few matches gear/skill wise anyway,just didn't want to get DQ'd!

Another thing to consider is how competitive your planning on being..

If your going to just have a good time and do your local occasional 3G match...is a 1k plus shotgun justified? (Of course it is if you don't have a wife lol)

On the right track however..If you can swing the M2 right on..I shoot with guys who have the M2 as well as a mossberg 930 SPX...the guy with the 930 can beat the guy with the M2,not because his shotgun is better,just because he is a better/faster shooter.

Have fun!

You can usually find 26" Benelli M1 field models for around $6-700.00. The biggest difference between an M1 and an M2 is the Comfort-tech stock. I have shot both models and at my level of the game, the stock does not make enough difference for me to get rid of my M1 and buy an M2. In my opinion, buy a nice used M1, put a brighter front sight and a Nordic tube on it and spend the rest of the money on caddies and ammo. Practice loading alot. If you decide later that 3gun is not for you, you could keep it and use it for hunting or sell it, they hold their value pretty well.

Hurley

In all honesty before you buy anything,just go shoot what you have at a few local 3 Gun matches and ask questions/check stuff out.Most everyone I've ran into at a match is more then willing to let you check out their gear...

Consider your first couple matches a "scouting" trip as well as a learning experience..I did that my first 3 matches or so,and just asked a million questions and looked at all different kinds of setups.

I was in no way competitive my first few matches gear/skill wise anyway,just didn't want to get DQ'd!

Another thing to consider is how competitive your planning on being..

If your going to just have a good time and do your local occasional 3G match...is a 1k plus shotgun justified? (Of course it is if you don't have a wife lol)

On the right track however..If you can swing the M2 right on..I shoot with guys who have the M2 as well as a mossberg 930 SPX...the guy with the 930 can beat the guy with the M2,not because his shotgun is better,just because he is a better/faster shooter.

Have fun!

What he said. Add an extension on the 1100 and shoot it. I shot a 1100 for 40 years, no not sitting in a safe shooting at least 1,000 rounds a year. I gave it to one of my Daughers, she shoots it now. When I started 3 gun I asked the Mosiah Benny Hill about a shot gun, he told me Benneli, and that a 1100 would never finish a match. So I bought an SLP and get to the big Benny Hill TX 3-Gun and the first guy I run into has an 1100 Rem, I asked where he got it Benny Hill built it. Ok now Benny is building Mossbegrs go figure. Point is try it, add extension tube for 8 +1 run Tactical.

Ok so I'm going open I bought a 1100 with all the speed tubes etc, waiting on it now. Saturday I'm at a match and have to listen to how stupid that was from a Saiga Shooter, well he shut up after I kicked his butt with my SLP.

Bottom line you got remington shoot it, your dad would be proud, he wanted you to shoot it. Get your feet wet learn the game and move on when the time comes.

By they way I use a Weaver 1x3 scope for 3_gun, and in my sqauad I was one of two that hit the 485 yard tragets, the other guy had Iron sights all the guys with the Landing Strip lights in the scope could not seem to hit them, there was only a 30 mph gusting cross wind. So a guy with a modicum of skill can do farily well even with basic equipment. It is like being on a deer lease with guys whose boots cost more than my truck, they didn't get many deer but I did.

Didn't mean to get off topic. but I like to ramble at times, comes with age.

Thanks for the replies guys. You all bring valid points and i appreciate your insight.

@overwatcher: How competitive do I plan on being? As competitive as I can be of course...lol. Im under no illusion that im

going to go to my first match and blow everyone away. But as long as im a better shooter at the end of the day versus the begining,

all is well.

Thats my dilemma with the benelli. Im not sure my skill level dictates such a gun at this time. I would think that at the club and

amateur level it wouldnt give such an advantage. Plus it might look kind of bad if the least proficient shooter their had the most expensive

gun...lol

Like I said, Ive never done this before. So my concerns might be completely off base. Hopefully my trip to the dealer tomorrow will give me a better

idea of the direction I want to head. You never know, if the benelli feels that good I might just bite the bullet and lay down the money.

Thanks guys,

John

You should really run what you've got until you know you want to do this. The equipment spend isn't like a custom 2011 with accessories, but it's significant and for a smaller game.

If your skill level as a shooter of long guns is something you've honed over years, you are going to be at a serious advantage, but not one that will carry you into HOA or top ten. 3-Gun stages are more busy, if only because of the multiple guns, and if you haven't learned to efficiently tackle a stage you'll be experiencing a little Failure To Engage.

The cheaper Benelli's aren't lasting long on GB or other sites, so if you decide to roll with it, get ready to haunt the internet like crazy or make a big spend on a new one. New M2s are not easy to find with a 21" barrel right now, and that trend will continue.

A word on the Mini-14: A non-free floated barrel can throw shots well outside the true accuracy range of your rifle at distance. 6-8" of increased group size on a 300 yard target that is 10" in diameter will cause a uneconomic use of ammunition.

OK, just want to echo what Overwatcher and CocoBolo said. Run what you got until you get a few matches under your belt. At that point you will have a better idea of your needs/wants and can spend your dollar more wisely with no false starts.

Another mini rant (I'm old, too) - Nothing wrong with running that 1100 (at least until you figure out what you really need), and as CocoBolo said your Pa wanted you to shoot it. That statement resonated with me because mine gave me a used field grade 1100 35 years ago which I used the heck out of on pheasant and quail, and then when I started shooting trap and skeet leagues I bought a skeet and trap barrel and used it for years until I could afford better. Anyway, I know my Pa was proud that used the hell out of that gun. Over the years I have had several other 1100s and have rarely had any problems. For 3 gunning I started using a skeet grade 1100 in the late '80s and used that same gun a few weeks ago in a local match. It ran like a scaled cat. Have the ez load ramp and tacloader gizmo attached to use tacloaders. No issues here and have never DNF'd because of gun problems. Nothing wrong with the Benelli's or Mossburgs or Winchesters or ?? if that is what you want, just don't discount the 1100 either.

Well, I finally got out to my local gunshop. I got to handle almost all the models i was interested in. remington 1100 tac 4, benelli m2, winchester sx2/sx3, mossberg 930.

By far my favorite was the FNH SLP mk1. The benelli had the smoothest action and felt pretty good. All the others felt just ok. However, I really couldnt

find one thing i didnt like on the SLP. The length of pull felt perfect. the weapon shouldered well, front sight comes up clear and quick, and felt really balanced.

As far as my 1100 goes. It is not threaded for chokes, so i would need to purchase a new barrel, ez loader, extended mag tube, and bolt handle. All for pa to say "what did you do to my baby" haha.

Plus as ive stated, i really just dont want to modify the weapon or use it for competition.

So at this point it looks like im going with the FNH and live by the "buy once, cry once" theory. haha. Thank you everyone for your advice. Hope to see you on the range.

John

• 1 month later...

John, sounds like you made a good choice. I went through the same shotgun search recently for a piece that would serve me well in 3Gun. After reading lots of forums like this, I bought a Benelli M2 with a 24" barrel for $1,100. Not sure I made the right choice on barrel length, but I haven't run it in a match yet either.

I'd be interested to know if anyone had an opinion based on experience on whether 24" barrels are good or a hindrance in what could be tight spaces during a match.