Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 Glock Magazines

LPatterson

While installing some new Arrendondo extensions I discovered some differences in magazines and followers. To try to describe the differences; I am calling them preSF (no metal showing) and SF (cut in front for ambi release) bodies. Then there are #6 and #8 followers. In most case the preSF bodies are better molded inside with minimal flashing (plastic over metal. While the SF bodies had excess plastic at both the front and back as well as the 'V' notch on both sides. Digging out a magnifying fluorescent lamp and a Dreamily I cleaned up the inside of the mag bodies. Then I discovered a difference in the followers; a #8 follower does not fit as high in the feed lips, whereas a #6 follower fits up into the feed lips. I do have 1 SF style body with a 2 beside the Glock logo which was a bad as the other SF style bodies. Since it is the feed lip angle that determines feeding, the only consequence I can see might be how much force might be required to seat a magazine. Until I can get to the range I am not about to try an in depth test.

Personally I will be reconfiguring several mag bodies and followers.

ETA Dropped some words

Edited by LPatterson

I know what you are seeing, but I have several Glock .40 cal mags (22 & 23 models). I have pre SF, post SF, and gen 4 mags. All are different, yet they all work flawlessly in my two G22's and my one G23. It's just the progression of the mags and followers over time. They should all run fine.

I have a bunch of 40 mags configured as follows: Arredondo +5 extensions, Gen4 mag bodies, #9 followers. They work flawlessly in my USPSA Limited 22.

The 9 you are referring to is 9, not 6.

The most current Glock 9mm follower is 6. Confused yet? LOL

I am not saying they won't work I was documenting some flaws/differences in the Glock perfection. Or is it Glock's continuing correction procession without admitting that something was wrong. You may be right about the number 6. being a 9. but I don't think so. Also I don't have any Gen 4 magazines in 40 just in 9mm and those have a 9MM follower with a number 6. so until Glock training changes/adds to the Glock Armorers manual I will continue to believe a 6. is a #6.

You may be right about the number 6. being a 9. but I don't think so. Also I don't have any Gen 4 magazines in 40 just in 9mm and those have a 9MM follower with a number 6. so until Glock training changes/adds to the Glock Armorers manual I will continue to believe a 6. is a #6.

Take your 9mm mag follower and put it along side, indexed the same, as your 40 follower. 9mm is 6, 40 is 9. Believe whatever you wish.

Followup FYI. When putting away the removed springs after the Arrendondo extension installation, I discovered 1 spring was at least a coil shorter than the other 2. I have no idea of the number of rounds through this mag as I bought several from supply house that included some LE restricted mags that are hanger queens as they won't drop free. I have decided that once a month or after a match where a mag hits the ground it gets taken apart and the springs checked against new springs.

When checking my Gen 4 9mm mags there is a number that looks like a plain 9 without the period after the 6period. I guess you received later information in your armorer's class than I did.

I guess you received later information in your armorer's class than I did.
This has nothing to do with Armorer's certification. The latest/greatest 9mm follower is SIX. The latest/greatest .40 follower is NINE. The previous .40 follower was EIGHT. The previous 9mm follower was FIVE.

See a pattern here?

My Glock parts list indicates the progression it also says part # SP 01028-6 marked .40 and 6 is discontinued. Now you are saying the latest follower is a 9, so how should I go about determining what is a 9 and what is a 6? After cleaning the powder residue from my Gen 4 mags the the follower says 9mm and the number is a 6 followed by a period. So isn't it possible that what I reported as being a 6. is actually the part that was discontinued. I was only trying to report on the equipment I have, not the latest and greatest. I have 2 LE restricted mags, 1 has a #4 follower the other has a #5 and are not upgradeable they are also not dropfree.

A picture is worth 1000 words. Here are 4000 worth for you.

IMG_1729.jpg

9mm with 6 follower top, 5 follower bottom

IMG_1728.jpg

.40 with 7, 8, 9 followers. 9 is newest, 7 is oldest

IMG_1726.jpg

.40 follower = NINE ----- 9mm follower = SIX

IMG_1730.jpg

.40 mag left, 9mm mag right -- both Gen4 mags

Here are some reference pics for you:

9mm_follower_1.jpg

9mm_follower_2.jpg

Happy New Year!

Thank you for the pictures. I have NEVER tried to deny that Glock prefection has made continual updates and that 40 followers have number 7, 8 or 9. on them. I stated was that mine had a 6. and that number looks exactly like what is shown on the 9mm follower. I do not have a camera of the quality that would allow me to send you pictures of my 40 followers with the numbers 4, 5, 6. and 8. For some reason none of the magazines I purchased had a 7 and I do not own a 40S&W Gen 4 magazine. Even though the parts list says part # SP 01028-6 marked .40 and 6 is discontinued I will continue to use it.

Followup FYI. When putting away the removed springs after the Arrendondo extension installation, I discovered 1 spring was at least a coil shorter than the other 2.
When I wrote this I meant that it had compressed shorter by one coil than a corresponding 10 coil spring because my notes indicate that Gen 4 springs are 11 coils.

I think it is really easy to determine.....orient the mag so you can read the caliber designation on the top of the follower, then look to the right side of the follower at the generation designation #. You have your answer ;)

I always heard the .40 No. 6 follower was the best. This was several years ago and don't know anything about the #7, #8, #9...

G40No6.jpg

(.40 follower = SIX :sight: )

Great picture, how did you make it look so pretty? It does illustrate the difference in the way the follower fits in the mag compared to the 2nd picture in post #9, that's with a period at the bottom arc of the 9.

• 1 year later...

Which .40S&W follower helps the mag pop out the best?

I tried a buddy's old #6 follower today in my Gen4 35 and mags, and the mags were popping out much easier/faster than with the standard #9 follower. Made the drops clear out so much better than spraying dry-lube silicone all over my mags. However, you can't buy the #6 anymore -- Glock only sells the #9 these days.

Any suggestions on the best follower for kicking that mag out of your Glock? I feel I should know more / have the answer for this since I'm a Glock Armorer, but I'm stumped.

Thanks.

the number 9 followers when i installed my tf extensions needed way more work to run right then the older number 7 followers. the 9 followers needed the v in the rear sanded alot to slide into the extension.

• 3 months later...

I found that my .40 mags with a #6 follower mags can only load 19 rounds with a TT or Dawson extended baseplate, but my newer #9 follower mags can load 20 rounds easily.

Are you sure that you don't have that backwards? Some of the forums that I have read say that Dawson extended baseplates will hold 20 if using a #6 if they won't with a #9.

I found that my .40 mags with a #6 follower mags can only load 19 rounds with a TT or Dawson extended baseplate, but my newer #9 follower mags can load 20 rounds easily.

Are you sure that you don't have that backwards? Some of the forums that I have read say that Dawson extended baseplates will hold 20 if using a #6 if they won't with a #9.

do you mean #5 or #6, i saw the #6 was for 9mm and #5 for 40. or are you guys putting 9mm followers to get another round?

never mind. came in late and didn't read the whole post

Edited by mpk1996