Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FMJ, HP, or cast, and why

mioduz

Jumped head first into competitive shooting this summer with an open gun in 38 super. I worked up a load using zero 125 gr hollow points because it seamed as though it was a very popular bullet to run. My question is why run hp's? My only guess was so there was no exposed lead at the base of the bullet. What type of bullet do you run and why?

My only guess was so there was no exposed lead at the base of the bullet. What type of bullet do you run and why?

Good guess! JHP's do not have an exposed lead base whereas FMJ's do. Montan Gold makes CMJ's which are FMJ's with a copper cap over the exposed base. They can run fine in Open guns. Any exposed lead is not a good thing when running a comp.

I run Montana Gold 121 IFP's which are a 115 JHP with a drop of lead in the tip.

In that case the drawback to the exposed lead is a little or a lot of smoke depending on the powder. If you want to use jacketed the JHP or a CMJ will create the least smoke and limit your personal lead exposure. The bigger the bullets get the more they cost so many guys use a moly coated bullet such as Precision moly, BBI or a Bayou bullet. With the right powder they smoke very little with the wrong powder they smoke A LOT.

Edited by Sarge

In that case the drawback to the exposed lead is a little or a lot of smoke depending on the powder. If you want to use jacketed the JHP or a CMJ will create the least smoke and limit your personal lead exposure. The bigger the bullets get the more they cost so many guys use a moly coated bullet such as Precision moly, BBI or a Bayou bullet. With the right powder they smoke very little with the wrong powder they smoke A LOT.

Thank you. Ok my next question is what are the benefits and downfalls of shooting the moly coated lead bullets. I assume the only positive is the Cost of raw materials. Is lead buildup in the barrel an issue?

You won't get lead build up at all shooting moly coated bullets. You will get some plastic like moly residue that you will have to clean out periodically. Pretty much straight lead bullets are the ones to worry about in regards to leading.

You won't get lead build up at all shooting moly coated bullets. You will get some plastic like moly residue that you will have to clean out periodically. Pretty much straight lead bullets are the ones to worry about in regards to leading.

Are there any other negatives about shooting lead? How often do you have to clean the molly? Should I expect to see the same level of accuracy in lead as i do in a jacketed bullet? What are the positives for shooting a HP?

Hey Kevin,

Will shooting Bayou / plastic bullets gunk up a barrel more than, less than, or the same as shooting plated bullets?

I've only shot Berrys total copper jacket bullets, as I don't want to have to deal with lead / gunk in my G35. I'm thinking of switching to Bayou since it's cheaper; however, if it'll gunk up my barrel more than plated bullets, I'll just stick to Berrys -- I like only having to clean my barrel every thousand or so rounds.

Thanks!

SirLoin wrote:

I've only shot Berrys total copper jacket bullets, as I don't want to have to deal with lead / gunk in my G35.

I don't mean to poo poo your choice of bullets, but you might want to take a pair of calipers to your Berry's (hey, that sounded funny... :roflol: )

way back when, I had a bunch that I had bought at Cabela's. Some were measuring .401, others .400 and some .399. So I was getting two fliers out of ten shots at fifteen yards. these fliers were something like 6 or 8 inches from the center of the main group, enough there to either throw a shot to into black spray painted hard cover or worse yet into a white no shoot target. at 18 yards, say like on the Steel Challenge stage Pendulum, it was enough to miss a whole plate entirely.

I went with Montana Golds instead. and have been using MG's exclusively since about 2008.

EDIT: if you are using the so called "double struck" bullets from Berry's then you probably don't have to worry about having undersized Berry's ( :devil: )

Edited by Chills1994

Yep, I get the double struck. Berrys is what Atlanta Arms use on all their ammo, which is what a lot of pros use, so I got Berrys. I was actually surprised that it comes out comparably priced if not cheaper than other bullets like Montana.

I'll still try to caliper what I have - doesn't hurt to check, after all.

EDIT: if you are using the so called "double struck" bullets from Berry's then you probably don't have to worry about having undersized Berry's ( :devil: )

Hey Kevin,

Will shooting Bayou / plastic bullets gunk up a barrel more than, less than, or the same as shooting plated bullets?

I've only shot Berrys total copper jacket bullets, as I don't want to have to deal with lead / gunk in my G35. I'm thinking of switching to Bayou since it's cheaper; however, if it'll gunk up my barrel more than plated bullets, I'll just stick to Berrys -- I like only having to clean my barrel every thousand or so rounds.

Thanks!

Guys who use them say Bayous are really clean. I shot moly's for a short while and still had to clean the barrel because of moly buildup but it was not terrible. If you don't want to clean a barrel shoot plated, jacketed, whatever as long as it is totally encased in jacket or plating.

Cool. Thanks!

Guys who use them say Bayous are really clean. I shot moly's for a short while and still had to clean the barrel because of moly buildup but it was not terrible. If you don't want to clean a barrel shoot plated, jacketed, whatever as long as it is totally encased in jacket or plating.

surprisingly, after reading this tread I went down and check my Berry's double struck...and guess what?.....out of 10 bullets that I measured they are all the same at .400...what I understand from their website is that they resize the bullet before AND after plating......